Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Just my thoughts:

1) Swap out the WTB Saddle for a Terry Fly TI, lighter and more comfy.
2) Have you considered a Talus or Minute fork. More adjustable and lighter.
3) 32 hole rims should be plenty strong.
4) Get the UST rims even if you don't use them, they are stronger than the non UST rims and less likely to need truing. Contrary to others, I have read enough about stans to not trust it. To me it is a mickey mouse way of getting UST.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Been happy with the WTB Laser V Stealth. Funny thing is I came from the Terry Fly TI.
Thanks anyhow.

Gettting fork-ing confused on fork selection. Give me details on what you like guys like about (your) fork(s) ride qualitites and will seriously consider. My experience has been with the Vanilla's... I like springs, and no problems. Will study more about mentioned forks over the weekend.

Hutchinson Spiders!

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I saw the Hutchinson spider at Superho today, as my Sturdy's are about knackered after 8 months of good service and hard to get locally, I may give the Spider's a try. They look like they may not have the grip in loose conditions, but may roll a little better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Need help... decision time

LBS says they have the 36 hole mavic ex823 rims. They DO NOT have the 32 hole mavic ex823 rims which I said I want. Should I wait for the 32's which will push my bike out a few weeks, or should I go with the 36's and get my bike built next week???

What's the weight difference between the wheels? Weight difference is 4 spokes per wheel, correct? Big enough difference to wait?

I'm patient and can wait for the 32's but let me hear what you have to say.

Chime in....

·
Arf, he said.
273 Posts
bikin said:
Gettting fork-ing confused on fork selection. Give me details on what you like guys like about (your) fork(s) ride qualitites and will seriously consider. My experience has been with the Vanilla's... I like springs, and no problems. Will study more about mentioned forks over the weekend.
I agree with Bikezilla, you really should consider the Z1 FR SL. I just got mine on a 5-spot this week and am very impressed with the ride. Super plush. I was hesitant to try an air sprung fork as well, but it's not much more hassle then a coil. Lots of tuning info available in the shock forum.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
what's 4 spokes between friends?

Honestly, I would say go with the 36-the weight difference is negligable in the overall scheme of things and if you do break a spoke, the wheels will go out of true a little less than with the 32 spoke rims.

By the way, I did manage to track down another set of Sturdies, and even got them for cheap! I think for dry conditions that they would be a fantastic tire choice. They have been very durable, tough and grip well. They also go on fairly easily and always inflate well with a floor pump.

They are very big tires for their supposed 2.25 size, as big as a lot of 2.4 or 2.5 tires I have seen. They are also heavy, I weighed my spare one at 1050g,

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
By the way, I did manage to track down another set of Sturdies, and even got them for cheap! I think for dry conditions that they would be a fantastic tire choice. They have been very durable, tough and grip well. They also go on fairly easily and always inflate well with a floor pump.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the Conti's go on easy as heck on the XMXLs but I found mounting them on the EX823s very tough. getting the last bit over the rim lip is a beyoch! but they do seat easily.

I just found another sidewall cut on my front tire...I'm ready to switch brands...really ready...and no I WON'T use Stans...dammit I paid for UST!:D

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
bikin said:
LBS says they have the 36 hole mavic ex823 rims. They DO NOT have the 32 hole mavic ex823 rims which I said I want. Should I wait for the 32's which will push my bike out a few weeks, or should I go with the 36's and get my bike built next week???

What's the weight difference between the wheels? Weight difference is 4 spokes per wheel, correct? Big enough difference to wait?
Chime in....
All said and done these wheels are 1lb heavier than my set of XMXLs...and the fronts are 32h. I don't see dropping 4 spokes total, being a significant weight savings. Besides you said you're hard on your landings. In for a penny...in for a pound. JMO

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the Conti's go on easy as heck on the XMXLs but I found mounting them on the EX823s very tough. getting the last bit over the rim lip is a beyoch! but they do seat easily.

I just found another sidewall cut on my front tire...I'm ready to switch brands...really ready...and no I WON'T use Stans...dammit I paid for UST!:D
Hey 'Zilla, I how about the Hutchinson Scorpion, supposed to be good for wet conditions and available in a 2.3, or even the Octopus, it is also available in a 2.3. They are a little heavier than the Conti's, but I have found that light tires just dont cut it if you are into aggressive riding. My Sturdies weigh over 1000g per tire (they say 850 on the website, but they lie like a rug). You have to match your new wheels with a new set of tires!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I went with the Huthcinson Spider 2.3.

The build list is pretty much set. Thanks to this thread!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Set in Stone Final Build

YEEEEEE-HAAAAAAA!!!!!

* Frame Size:Large
* Frame Color (PC/Ano):Black
* Shock:Romic/650#spring
* Fork:Fox Vanilla RLC 130mm
* Brakes:Avid Juicy 7
* Cranks:XT
* Shifters:SRAM X.9 ESP 9 spd triggershifers
* Front Derailleur:Shimano XT M761 Frt Der 28.6-34.9
* Rear Derailleur:SRAM XO ESP Rear Der Medium Cage
* Chain:SRAM Power Chains 9 Speed PC-99
* Pedals:Crank Bros. Mallet C
* Stem:Thomson Elite 100 mm 15 Rise
* Handlebar:EC 70 Monkey Lite 660 mm 1 1/4"
* Seatpost:Thomson Elite 330 mm length 27.2 mm
* Saddle:WTB Laser V Stealth
* Cassette:Shimano XT M760 9-Speed 11-32
* Headset:CKThreadless Headset 1-1/8
* Front Tire:Hutchinson Spider UST 2.3
* Front Rim:Mavic EX 823 36 Hole
* Front Hub/Skewer:CK ISO Disc Hub 36 Hole/Salsa
* Rear Tire:Hutchinson Spider UST 2.3
* Rear Rim:Mavic EX 823 36 Hole
* Rear Hub/Skewer:CK ISO Disc Hub 36 Hole/Salsa
* Seatpost Collar:Salsa Flip-Lock 32 mm

Pick up on Monday.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Large Frame?

Not trying to put doubt in your mind (and I didn't read every reply here) but at 5'10, are you sure that won't be a tad big?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Actually, the large feels great. Medium felt more small than the large feeling too big.
I was in a dilemma for some time. I was right smack dab in the middle of both in terms of fit. I just had to go out and ride'em both. Shorter stem helped on the large. The medium gave me a bunched up feeling. I didn't dig the long exposed seat post either. I'm fine with it. Picking it up Monday.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Great

Glad you got to test ride, nothing like spending a bunch of cashola and then finding out the damn thing doesn't fit.

Another tire option, if you don't like the vert's. I've been on a set of Schwalbe Albert lights on my El Saltamontes a few weeks now. 2.25, good rolling, and 600 grams to boot.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You might find that the 100mm stem to be too long especially with the large frame. I think you will be happy with the large over the medium. If you like to get our of your saddle during steep tech. climbs and do any narly tech. downs, the shorter stem will get you in the right position. Turners have awesome traction, just seems to squat and dig in, but if you loose the initial bite of the rear tire early in the power stroke and are out of your saddle, your weight will be too far forward and you will not get that "squat and bite". This is over-come with body postion but after a long ride your lats will not be as strong and other issues will arise.

Nate

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Good call on the large, one of my riding buddies is your height and went with a large and 90mm stem, he loves the fit. He came off a Fisher with genesis geometry and he says it feels the same.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts