Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as in not action shot... thought you guys might like to see a couple shots of the desert terrain we have here in Israel. this is a super flowy 20 mile down grade run, about 60% single track from the top of the judean desert down to the dead sea.

BTW, do my new fox cargo pants look like a tent?:eekster:

Attachments

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
very kind of you to post those shots, as i stare out at a cold and dank english saturday morning. made me feel much better :-(

looks amazing, actually. though you might be right about the shorts - better make sure you don't run into some nomadic desert people as they might try to use them for accommodation...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jeez I love that area.
10 years ago I used to do Maale yair a lot with a rigid aluminum bike, no suspension and a cantilever brakes. There something sado-maso about that place. We'd explain to the new folks that since their thin brake cables were the only thing keeping them alive, so they should make sure their bolts are properly closed... It would take around 20 minutes to go down - 20 minutes of constant braking. You' d constantly want to release the brakes because your hands hurt, but the sudden onset of speed would make it hurt that much more trying to slow down again, that yould quickly decide never to release that brake again. Then you'd go into the dead sea at the end, your hands AND balls would hurt like crazy when entering the salty water, all to be forgotten after a few sips of beer when lying in the water with one big-fat smile.

... disc brakes and 5" suspension are bliss.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tald said:
Jeez I love that area.
10 years ago I used to do Maale yair a lot with a rigid aluminum bike, no suspension and a cantilever brakes. There something sado-maso about that place. We'd explain to the new folks that since their thin brake cables were the only thing keeping them alive, so they should make sure their bolts are properly closed... It would take around 20 minutes to go down - 20 minutes of constant braking. You' d constantly want to release the brakes because your hands hurt, but the sudden onset of speed would make it hurt that much more trying to slow down again, that yould quickly decide never to release that brake again. Then you'd go into the dead sea at the end, your hands AND balls would hurt like crazy when entering the salty water, all to be forgotten after a few sips of beer when lying in the water with one big-fat smile.

... disc brakes and 5" suspension are bliss.
the trick is not to use your brakes :D

actually i ran the front pads down to the metal towards the end

·
Does your dog bite?
142 Posts
Any pics of the trail itself? Do you take a dip in the dead sea when you get to the bottom :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
What I don't get though is the full-face, especially if you came from the direction of Nahal Zeelim. That's quite a lot of pedaling...
Did you catch a very cold day? Switch between full-face and regular? Or are the pictures from different rides?

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tald said:
What I don't get though is the full-face, especially if you came from the direction of Nahal Zeelim. That's quite a lot of pedaling...
Did you catch a very cold day? Switch between full-face and regular? Or are the pictures from different rides?
no climbing at all, point to point from arad down.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi Pete, if I am not mistaken....

This picture was taken in Bokek (Creek) over the first big waterfall.
Here is a picture taken at the same spot just different day.

I added a few more from the same trip from Arad to the Dead Sea.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here is a funny one...

The guy in the picture is my cousin, we took him along with us. It's his first bike ride in the desert and he seems to feel at home.
I was sitting right across from him while he was sitting there with his feet dangling in the air 100 feet off the ground. I asked him to step back from the edge, as I am responsible to get his @ss back home in one piece. To my request he replied: "dont worry, I got my protection gear on!"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.