Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Code Burr
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded to a 5 spot last spring and swapped in my Flux components. Its gravy, but my lower back starts to whine after about 1.5-2hr rides. I swapped stems and then started tweaking the seat position and height to try and correct the fit. I just cant seem to get it right. I have my patella centered on the pedal axel with a plumb line so the legs are good. But I cant get a slight bend in my arms at the elbow when seated. I'm wondering if it has to do with the different seat tube angles between the bikes and the recycled parts.

Heres my stats,
Large 5 spot, 90mm 15 rise stem, 3/4 riser bar rotated slightly CCW from center. Seat fore/aft and height seem to be good. I have no leg/knee problems. Feels like I need a shorter cockpit though. Should I raise the stem up a spacer or two? I'm not sure if that will change the distance between me and the bar. Maybe a shorter stem, or higher riser?

What do you think?
t
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
What fork?

Are you using the fork from your FLux as well. If you are using a short fork this can effect the ride height andd steepen the angles as well.

I would think that once you get it dialed the 5 Spot's riding position should be easier on your back than the Flux,

Just a thought. Keep us posted.

TG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
If you set the saddle at pedaling height, I like to set up the 5 Spot with zero drop from saddle to handlebar and the Flux at about 1in drop. Check that figure and see if it changed between the Spot and the Flux, you can certainly try to add 1-2cm of spacers under the stem. Keep in mind that this will also shorten your reach.
 

·
trail fairy
Joined
·
9,546 Posts
The bronze, um you'll get many bits of advice and many correct answers which may or may not be helpful in bike setup!

Without a visual we are all taking a stab in the dark to be honest, and event the best still need to look at themselves on the bike! one of the nice thing with computers and a digi camera!

If you have a track stand or bike stand set your bike in that, mount your bike, get your better half to take side view and front and rear view shots, also focus on leg down 12hr and 6hr position!

Are you using SPD type pedals and shoes!

If you can't do this then I'd go into a reputable LBS who knows what they're talking about!

Unless you have some really bad body or injury defect adding spacers and such a high degree stem is not the answer only more cause!

So many variables!

In the older days only a few years ago, you saw that more often as a result of what was available from fork manufactures and stem providers, everything was geared around XC , its slowly melding together around the Spot and RFX genres!

Just get a visual reference point of yourself on the bike!

Often you will be surprised how you look to what you think you look like on a setup!

Just some thoughts you can do yourself some real damage on a badly setup bike, let me clarify that statement, I mean anatomically!
 

·
Code Burr
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nybike1971 said:
If you set the saddle at pedaling height, I like to set up the 5 Spot with zero drop from saddle to handlebar and the Flux at about 1in drop. Check that figure and see if it changed between the Spot and the Flux, you can certainly try to add 1-2cm of spacers under the stem. Keep in mind that this will also shorten your reach.
I know that position is optimum but I've always been a bit too tall for that. I'm 6'3" and with long arms, off the rack doesnt fit very well. I'll check tonight, but i'm thinking my saddle is at least an inch higher than the bar apex with a slight bend in the knee at 6:00 position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
thebronze said:
I know that position is optimum but I've always been a bit too tall for that. I'm 6'3" and with long arms, off the rack doesnt fit very well. I'll check tonight, but i'm thinking my saddle is at least an inch higher than the bar apex with a slight bend in the knee at 6:00 position.
Well, the problem is right there I believe. I am 5'10" and ride a large Spot! At your height you should be at least on an XL if you want it to ride like a trail bike. Basically, you are bent like a pretzel, no wonder your back hurts on long rides.
 

·
I think I need to Upgrade
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
nybike1971 said:
Well, the problem is right there I believe. I am 5'10" and ride a large Spot! At your height you should be at least on an XL if you want it to ride like a trail bike. Basically, you are bent like a pretzel, no wonder your back hurts on long rides.
I second this, the frame is too small for you. I am 6'2" and I am much more comfortable on an XL than a L frame, and if you are trying to ride this bike as a long travel XC bike you need to be on a bigger frame, and also the fork being a little short isn't helping things.
 

·
Code Burr
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are nuts, the XL is way too big. I had an XL flux for 2 years and hated it. Larry at MTN high said it was the way to go for me but it didnt turn out that way. There was no distance between my sack and the bike and it just never felt right. The large spot and flux are much more comfortable for me. If the XL works for you then cool, but not in my case. It always felt like a limosine in tight twisty stuff. Texas trails are a lot different than west coast stuff.

Thanks for the tips, I'll get it sorted out at the shop. I had a pro fit done earlier but I thought I'd give it a rip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
I am on a 5 Spot, am technically am 6.4 tall and on the XL. Any taller DT said I need to be on the XXL one. You are too big for a L spot. You can fool yourself but NEVER gonna fit right...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,416 Posts
thebronze said:
You guys are nuts, the XL is way too big. I had an XL flux for 2 years and hated it. Larry at MTN high said it was the way to go for me but it didnt turn out that way. There was no distance between my sack and the bike and it just never felt right. The large spot and flux are much more comfortable for me. If the XL works for you then cool, but not in my case. It always felt like a limosine in tight twisty stuff. Texas trails are a lot different than west coast stuff.

Thanks for the tips, I'll get it sorted out at the shop. I had a pro fit done earlier but I thought I'd give it a rip.
So, all these people are telling you you need a extra large but they are nuts and the only person who thinks you should be on a large (you) is right? please a side on pic of you on the bike as it is currently set up..better still send it to DT and see what he says.
 

·
... I guess you won't be
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
I thought this might go with the football...


But, really, I am unanimous in thinking that you need a riser bar to get the bar even with the saddle height - maybe a touch higher.....The Spot's sweet spot is sitting more upright than in the typical monkey-humpin'-a-football racerboi crouch....also - get a slightly longer stem, but don't move your seat back, you want to be "over the pedals" as much as possible on your spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,667 Posts
Rec'd Height is.....

XL. No kidding. The lack of standover height has nothing to do with your fit when actually riding the bike and the Flux and the 5 Spot are not the same dimensionally size for size as they are not intended for exactly the same riding.

DT
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top