Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5 spot brakes dilemna

978 views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  trailadvent 
FRs for me 2

I've run 04s Lousie Frs for a year now 180mm fr 160mm r, no problems to date, and when the pads are worn change em to cool stops they last forever are quiet and improve braking performance, basically these are way stronger than any other disc brake I've used (hayes Cdale, Shimano 03s,Hope ti 6pot only ones to compare (should with 203mm rotors) plus I had the unique opportunity to run an FR on one side and the J7 on the other I realy got a impression of the 2 the FR is way stronger plus had better feel for me anyways bit dispointed in the J7s glad I did'nt go there now.
I've also gone for Maguras braided hoses these really boost performance again, well worth IMO, enjoy they rock..

Since it looks like you�re running a Fox Vanilla, it is a standard international disc mount,
Maguras FRs bolt straight on no adapters needed, maybe some facing on the fork to align the caliper to its optimum position, the only hassle can be the spacers for caliper alignment.

If you use tabs instead of the supplied washer/spacers it makes things a snap, note your Fox is rated to 180mm front at the most, 05 Foxs can use larger discs as the dropouts have been enhanced but it's not necessary with the FR's these are the strongest, best feeling pound for pound disc brakes on the market IMHO just an O though, based on pretty much testing most of the rest though, FRs are not necessarily the sexiest but that's not what you need when you're deep in it, squeezing that lever for life saving antics huh!

Depending on the Shimano brakes you choose you may be stuck with proprietary systems.
Deore is solid and reliable without being spectacular they will need an A mount adaptor on the fork (Hayes type I think) rear should be OK , but I don't know the Titus to well, 03 XTs were there best (Shimano) if you can find some but are tricky by today's standard, Mags have a 5year leak proof warranty and plenty of options so lots of flexibilty check there website its quite informative!
http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/default.htm
Plus some reviews check it out..
http://www.mtbr.com/hotnews/products/ppr097.shtml

Guess it also depends on your budget, money no Object it would still come down to a race for me between Mag FRs or Hope Ti 6 pots both with braided hoses, the hopes win the sexy look department but actual performance is tight! Note 6 pot vs Dual pistons with simplicity. Would be a great test..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.