Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a new bike for endurance races, 50 to 100 milers. I've been from Superlights to an ASR and now an Anthem X, all 4 inch bikes, and all have been good performers. I used to be quite competitive in years gone by, usually finishing within the top 10 percent of riders despite being of Masters age, but as I get older and my training is not as it should be, and my body feels the pain a little more, I'm after something with a bit more travel, a bit more relaxed, a bit more fun, but that can be still be set up as efficent long distance racer. Obviously there'll be a weight penalty, but with the right parts selection, a pound or two heavier will not make or break me.

So to the 5 Spot, DW link, I'm guessing it's more of an all round trail bike than an efficent race bike, but I like the look of it and its dimensions. I know there's the Flux and it would do a fine job, I'd just like a little more cush.

It's either the Spot, an ASR5 or dare I say it, a Trance X.

All opinions welcome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silentfoe said:
Sultan FTW.
Yep, hear what you're saying, just not quite ready to go down the 29er road yet. It's like its a whole new world and my old brain is struggling with recent developments in 26er's. So thanks but I'll put that idea to one side for the moment.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
MikeeR said:
So to the 5 Spot, DW link, I'm guessing it's more of an all round trail bike than an efficent race bike, but I like the look of it and its dimensions. I know there's the Flux and it would do a fine job, I'd just like a little more cush.
If you like the geometry and travel of the Spot, and don't mind the weight, go for it. Labels are for people that don't know what they're looking at. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geometry and travel all look spot on, problem is I'll be buying it without having ridden it. Hence the questions.

·
My cup runneth over
2,417 Posts
Almost six years ago I was debating getting a Spot or a Flux/Burner for Xterra races and most here recommended the Flux/Burner. I got the Burner and have regretted it ever since :) . I just recently retired the Burner and picked up a DW Spot. I will be racing it on a couple of Xterras this year and it's built to 31 lbs (coil fork too). I am way past peak racing age and the only time I did well in an off road tri was when I ran the high school run section by mistake and actually won the race :eek: .

Here are the pros of the Spot:
  • If the course is technical it will be much less tiring than a 'race' bike (plushness counts here).
  • Seated climbing is awesome with the minimal squat and great traction.
  • Training on the Spot is much more fun than a race bike (it makes you miss meals and other activities) - increased motivation = increased fitness/endurance.
  • The downhills will be way more fun and controlled.
Cons.
  • Geometry is less racey but mitigated by the lack of squat (and maybe an adjustable fork).
  • Heavier.
  • Extended standing climbing requires flipping on the propedal.
Overall I will take the amazing plushness and traction on the Spot in any kind of extended race over the harshness of a race bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rmac said:
Almost six years ago I was debating getting a Spot or a Flux/Burner for Xterra races and most here recommended the Flux/Burner. I got the Burner and have regretted it ever since :) . I just recently retired the Burner and picked up a DW Spot. I will be racing it on a couple of Xterras this year and it's built to 31 lbs (coil fork too). I am way past peak racing age and the only time I did well in an off road tri was when I ran the high school run section by mistake and actually won the race :eek: .

Here are the pros of the Spot:
  • If the course is technical it will be much less tiring than a 'race' bike (plushness counts here).
  • Seated climbing is awesome with the minimal squat and great traction.
  • Training on the Spot is much more fun than a race bike (it makes you miss meals and other activities) - increased motivation = increased fitness/endurance.
  • The downhills will be way more fun and controlled.
Cons.
  • Geometry is less racey but mitigated by the lack of squat (and maybe an adjustable fork).
  • Heavier.
  • Extended standing climbing requires flipping on the propedal.
Overall I will take the amazing plushness and traction on the Spot in any kind of extended race over the harshness of a race bike.
Well, of course, that's pretty much the kind of response I was hoping for. Particularly like, and can relate to, the increased motivation part. I've a race coming up in a few months and am really struggling with motivation at the moment. I know it shouldn't take a new bike to get me out there, but I also know it's worked in the past.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
MikeeR said:
Geometry and travel all look spot on, problem is I'll be buying it without having ridden it. Hence the questions.
Just an observation, but other than the thread's title you didn't actually ask any questions. :) Seems like you were mostly looking for validation for the conclusion you had already arrived at. :lol:

I think your reasoning is sound, and in fact followed a similar train of thought before arriving at the decision to buy a Spot to replace my Nitrous. Raced it five times at the end of last season and finished on the podium in each. Sure, it will be overkill for some courses, but on others I think it can actually be an advantage over a twitchy shorter travel bike, all the more so in an endurance event that wears on the mind and body after a few hours.

rmac makes a good point about the Spot being an excellent training tool too. Not only will it encourage you to ride more/longer, but by doing so on your race bike you will be fully in tune with it come race day. To me that alone is worth more than having a frame that is a pound or two lighter, especially when the DW bikes climb/accelerate so well even in longer travel configurations.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've raced my older Spot in endurance races and while its initial not as fast as my Flux, after 4 to 5 hours of racing when the body starts to tire its nice having the extra travel and ability to absorb the bad line choices etc which become more common towards the end.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
I think a light build on a Spot would rock. I raced 24 Moab (on a team) a couple of years ago. I hadn't done that race since our team raced it competitively back in '99 or '00. Back then, it was all about training hard and hammering. Light bikes, too. Here's the funny thing, though - when I raced it 2 years ago being older, fatter, and definitely slower I turned in consistently faster lap times. On a TNT Spot. The DW is an even better pedaler and can still be built relatively lightly. A light spot would be just the ticket.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've done two 100-mile race and a 6h on my DW Spot. Perfect machine, just have a light/skinny tire/wheel combo for races and something more burly for the fun trips:thumbsup:
I have another 6h race next month and the OC (60-mile race) next month too
I have big 2,3 tires and gravity dropper for the fun times and skinny Crossmarks for races. It accelerates very fast and yet it is very efficient and plush. Definitely kick some butts in the tech sections;)

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I would do it but not unless I could built it light....27-28. I would not go ridiculously light but with light wheels and some attention to parts, it would be a good choice.

Edit- keep it closer to 27.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
miles e said:
Just an observation, but other than the thread's title you didn't actually ask any questions. :) Seems like you were mostly looking for validation for the conclusion you had already arrived at. :lol:

I think your reasoning is sound, and in fact followed a similar train of thought before arriving at the decision to buy a Spot to replace my Nitrous. Raced it five times at the end of last season and finished on the podium in each. Sure, it will be overkill for some courses, but on others I think it can actually be an advantage over a twitchy shorter travel bike, all the more so in an endurance event that wears on the mind and body after a few hours.

rmac makes a good point about the Spot being an excellent training tool too. Not only will it encourage you to ride more/longer, but by doing so on your race bike you will be fully in tune with it come race day. To me that alone is worth more than having a frame that is a pound or two lighter, especially when the DW bikes climb/accelerate so well even in longer travel configurations.
Yes you're right, I didn't really pose a question. And you're also correct in saying that I'm more after validation than anything else.

If I was to put it in question form it would be something like, would the penalty of extra weight, longer travel and more relaxed geometry be outweighed by the comfort, less tiring ride, ease of negotiating tech sections and downhills at speed, for an old guy who still has aspirations of doing OK in endurance races. And whether any of the people on this forum had any experience with a 5 Spot in such races.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, it comes down to how you feel about such a bike. I personally don't find my 5 Spot ideal for racing. I love the bike and ride some long distances on it, but it a racing situation that extra weight just slightly takes it out of you. You can build it light, but I've always regretted putting light tyres on and end up pushing them too far and pinch puncturing.

If it was me, I would chose a Flux which is still a plush bike but just that little bit lighter. I am a very slight build though, so weight does tend to slow me down more than a larger guy. Strangely, I'm wondering about an Anthem X for endurance events so I'm sort of curious how you get on with yours.

·
Registered
170 Posts
MikeeR, I own a DW 5 Spot and 2 DW Flux's(check out "Welcome to the AM Flux"). I have one Flux set up light and the AM Flux and the Spot with coils. The Flux would definitely be my choice for an endurance racer, it is the quickest feeling bike in the Turner fleet but yet very capable of attacking the downs with a 120mm fork.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I've been back and forth between 4" and 5" bikes, and even a hardtail, for endurance racing, and the 5" bikes feel great and comfy during the first two-thirds of a 100 miler, and really taxing during the last third.

I would recommend the DW Flux with a 110 or 120 fork. IMO, the perfect compromise in the 26er world.

If you DO go Spot, make sure and do the DGC shock shim mod. IMO, a must-do for a racing application.

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
+1 for Flux. Mine works well for everything except seriously abusive trails which you won't find many of on a race course. The bottom line is that a Flux will always climb better than a Spot, it just _will_, and that's where it matters in a race.

I'm not a Flux fanboy (I recommended a Spot to the last guy who asked, based on his riding preferences), but your situation screams "Flux!". Build it with a long-ish fork (e.g. F120) and get the rear shock Push'd, you will be just fine.

BTW, I'm in my late forties and still riding 100 milers. On my Flux.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts