Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a wake up call with the Spot. 06 with a 130mm Fox vanilla up front. 90mm stem.I've had the feeling for a while now of being way over the front on tech stuff.after riding a friends Specialized Enduro it felt a little more layed back. Thinking of PUSH for possible fork dive???. Would the RFX have this issue?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
this could stem from a variety of things. sure, it coud be a too long stem but thats hard to say without knowin more about frame size and rider height. ill asume yer on a 26 x 1.5 bar at the min. theres always the possibility of rider talent in need of a upgrade too. is this techy trail new to ya? no offense intended.

the fox's can be divey if not set up well or in need of service and a push job would take care of both in spades. the rfx is a much more relaxed geo and a much better bike in the tech when matched with a proper fork. hope this gets ya started.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Does your current fork dive in steep tecchy sections?

Any issues with getting behind the saddle in the steeps?

How is your positioning in the flats?

What size Spot are you riding?

But like CC implied, too far forward implies a too long stem.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Second everything CC said!

But don't just take the crutch route! Choose the RFX for specific reasons not cause ya can't handle the Spot, the Spot can do allot of things if set it up and allow yaself the chance to grow your tech skills, an RFX won't nessecarily make you better at tech, it may give you instant gratification but can also get you in trouble if you feel difficulty on the Spot!

Im not saying ya don't have tech skills you may well have, but as CC says there's allot of varibles there!

Go Push ya fork, {good PUSH info here} or get it serviced by a LBS who knows a bit about forks, ask them some questions re oil levels, how this will help you! you can tell very quickly if they aren't up to it, they'll avoid answers and just say yep well take ya money throw in some new oil, and not ask you about your riding setup or what where youre wanting to take your riding.

You have to weigh up the hassle vs cost Push could save you dollars if you ar US based and you'll have confidence and comeback that its done right, but the vanilla is pretty simple to do yourself, get the enduro seal kit, [google search should find what ya need] some high quality oil and go to town, if there's a fork to learn on thats the one, Fox has some good info on there site !

Once ya done that play with some stem lengths ,and you'll be stoked, thats where I'd start:thumbsup:

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Where is the height of your grips in relation to the height of your saddle? (Side view photo of bike, preferably with you on it, would help.)

Are you new to the Spot? If so, describe the bike you are coming off of. How was THAT bike in terms of saddle - to - bar height ratio?

Compare the sag on your shock vs. your fork. If you've got the shock all firm with lots of platform and the fork all squishy, that could be the problem too. Here's my test. Put the o-ring markers on fork and shock back to position zero. Now ride the bike around your driveway, bouncing up and down over the center of the bike a few times. Get off and look at the o-rings. You should have used the same percentage of total travel on both front and rear. If not, adjust.

HTH.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was more of a feeling my buddy and I noticed from the bike swaping. First thing he said(He rides a Tracer) was how far foreward the 5 Spot puts you. You could even say the riders possition is dead center-v-layed back as we noticed on the Enduro. Spot is a better climber due to this. But this might be a set back on the DH's.I feel the 90mm/5deg rise stem is the proper length. I'm 6ft tall 34"inseam on a Large Spot. Frame feels like the right size. As far as Rider skill, always room for improvement!

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
turnerbikes said:
this thread is worthless without a PHOTO. side view of course,
yeah, remember the guy a few years ago with 2 feet of seatpost sticking out? OTB? duh!

·
12,942 Posts
yeah, the frame size sounds good. from here we need to talk about setup. as q and mr turner asked, its time for a quality side view pic or 2. somethin on a flat surface with the rider ignoring the camera, another sans rider. like tapp sorta said, youll be amazed what you can learn from these 2 pics.

·
Registered
890 Posts
A few things to start with:

Seat height in relation to grip/handlebar height (too much seat height will make it easier to endo).

Fork dive- are you using all your travel on even smoother rides? Does the fork dive a lot on braking? If so, you may have to step up to the next stiffer spring.

Seat position on rail- move your seat back on the rails a few mm.

I suspect it may be the soft spring. My 05 Vanilla was too soft and too divey till I changed to the stiffer spring. Also, if your seat is too high compared to your bar grips, consider dropping the seat a bit and/or raising the bar a bit. Do everything in very small increments till it feels comfortable.

·
12,942 Posts
sorry blue, but i wouldnt start changin positions willy nilly till we know a bit more. it could be anything or everything ya mention.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just things to consider is all. I didn't mean to imply that the OP change everything together:)

I meant he consider all these things and after narrowing it down, attack one option at a time in small increments to see how it affects handling. I still suspect that brake dive on that Van may be the biggest problem but pictures would help and used travel on that Vanilla would be revealing as well.

The thing is that the Spot is not a very endo-prone bike. However, the Vanilla with a too-soft spring can make any bike somewhat endo-prone with its ridiculous brake dive.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

I'm on the road, so pictures will have to wait until I get home. I have the stiff spring in the Vanilla for my weight 185 with my co-co nut's hang'n. I suspect seat may be a bit high that's for the long climbs. Marin/Novato thiswww.wtb.comstuff. I kinda started to notice this even on swoopy trails at speed coming into turns( this is starting to sound more like fork dive). On this type of trail I really do not need to lower the seat. I will have pictures up in a few day's. Like I said, It was a feeling my buddy had and I felt after riding the other rig on my same trails.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
urinal mint said:
Diagnosis:

Pilot error.
Hey Pete,

If you only knew how right you are:p
You otta show up at D-ville on June 27th-29th. Good group will be having fun! We shuttle with Greg at DVO. Probably do a ride up from Gold lake to hit the good's

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
adjust

Well without a pic we will have to imagine your grips are right about even or an inch above the seat, which seems to be about right for the kinda riding you are doing on the 5 Spot.

Fork travel, by 'todays' standards 130 is a tad short. 140 calms the front end down a wee bit over the 130. A Pike is a 'long' 140 and is even more relaxed, by small increments of course. When I go back to a 130, or gasp, a 125, I am amazed at how quick the 5 Spot can be. Of course it makes a mightly fine rough XC / 24hour kinda bike with a short fork and light build but that is not where Downieville is.

Rebound damping, if the front is too slow and the rear fast you are doomed, add that to a fork that is historically lightly damped on compression and you have a recipe for high speed stink bug. Of course as has been pointed out, you have to have the right sag in the back as well. Too much spring in the back and even if the fork is perfectly PUSH'd you will have handling issues. What about compression, if the rear compression is too firm and the fork is all the way open for 'plushness' the chassis will also pitch forward.

Tire pressure? Try running some different pressure, which will make the bike feel different which will effect your compression and rebound settings front and rear which could have an effect on the chassis attitude. Start at the top and make sure your hands and seat are the correct relationship.

DT

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
fwiw - my riding buddy rode the older style Specy Enduros for years (he went thru two of them...)
He's been on a Five Spot, which he like way better, for about 2 years now.

From what I remember, his Enduro was much slacker and much heavier than the Spot.

My point is I don't think comparing those two bikes is fair, and you need to take the time to make sure your bike is set up right for you.
I've had my Spot almost 3 years now and have made numerous changes to it...

It's an extremely versitile bike!
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
218 Posts
Guitarzan415 said:
Hey Pete,

If you only knew how right you are:p
You otta show up at D-ville on June 27th-29th. Good group will be having fun! We shuttle with Greg at DVO. Probably do a ride up from Gold lake to hit the good's
I'm at a disadvantage, as I can't mate (not like that...) your MTBR handle with your real name.

Big events/mass rider clusterfocks are on my boycott list these days and in addition I have kid/family conflicts that weekend. Have fun in Dville though, it rocks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Beautiful weather in Marin today!!

Guitarzan415 said:
I'm on the road, so pictures will have to wait until I get home. I have the stiff spring in the Vanilla for my weight 185 with my co-co nut's hang'n. I suspect seat may be a bit high that's for the long climbs. Marin/Novato thiswww.wtb.comstuff. I kinda started to notice this even on swoopy trails at speed coming into turns( this is starting to sound more like fork dive). On this type of trail I really do not need to lower the seat. I will have pictures up in a few day's. Like I said, It was a feeling my buddy had and I felt after riding the other rig on my same trails.
Guitar man,
Take your bike into Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax, ( a Turner dealer). Maybe you even bought your bike there. They've got a lot of good people there who are very familiar with Turners. They probably also have a box of old stems that you can play around with to get a sense of the possibilities on stem lengths and handlebar drop.

Cheers,

kane

1 - 20 of 22 Posts