Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dillema..:madman: ..I currently own an 04' 5 spot with the black ano. I have loved this bike but I'm thinking of selling it because at times I need just a little more travel and a more burley frame. I was looking at the RFX or Intense 6.6. Anyone had experience testing both of these bikes? Pros/Cons. I live in Utah and do some ski resort riding but don't want to go full on DH.

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
it would make massive sense to first buy a burlier wheelset with DH casing tires and try them on your 5-Spot.

if that doesn't transform the 5-Spot sufficiently, then consider the bigger bike. the newer, burlier wheels can go on the bigger bike if that's your ultimate conclusion.

I've found many bikes to feel much burlier and more stable with a simple swap of tires, and adding burlier wheels to that will increase the stability.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
all true guys but not stability wasnt quite the issue he said he had. i think there was somethin about more travel and a burlyer frame. sounds like the boy has started to climb higher trees.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
IMO, the question is intended use.

You can definately up the frame's stability and overall "big bike" feel by adding burlier parts... but this is at the risk of having the components fool you into taking the frame beyond it's design limits.

With EX823 wheels, a DHX coil, and a 20mm thru AM1 fork, My spot was up to 35+ lbs... It felt great but it simply was time to get an RFX. I was at the point where I was not wondering if I could do something but if I should.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
gonzostrike said:
excellent, the poseurs are out of the weeds and telling people that instead of improving their skills, they need more travel.
well done poseurs!
those 2 foot hucks demand a DHR!
"I live in Utah and do some ski resort riding but don't want to go full on DH."

I'd think a RFX better suited for resort riding than a Spot.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Bikezilla said:

naaaa... get a hardtail so ya can be core and amass the proper gonz approved respect we all deeply desire. or was that a knolly i was supposed to reccomend? just tell me what i need to say to be cool.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think his original suggestion was ok.

Bikezilla said:

You're gonna want burlier wheels on an RFX anyway, so why not try burlier wheels/tires on the 5-spot first?

Not sure what "resort" riding is. We used to have a local ski resort open (Whitetail, PA) that I could ride on my hardtail (skipping the really nasty lines). A friend just got back from Whistler in BC, and he had pictures of stunts that made me pucker to just look at. It depends on what he's going to be doing @ the resorts.

Dave

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
well yeah I though that pretty much went without saying. I would think if he was thinking of riding harder, and taking it to a resort to do it, he'd often be temped to take it to the lines a Spot was not designed for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are right on. I know the spot is not made for the norba course at deer valley. I have guys looking at me thinking....what the freholy is he doing on that bike. Bigger wheels and tires are not the solution. Time to look really close at the RFX.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
You're gonna want burlier wheels on an RFX anyway, so why not try burlier wheels/tires on the 5-spot first?

Not sure what "resort" riding is. We used to have a local ski resort open (Whitetail, PA) that I could ride on my hardtail (skipping the really nasty lines). A friend just got back from Whistler in BC, and he had pictures of stunts that made me pucker to just look at. It depends on what he's going to be doing @ the resorts.

Dave
ssssshhhh. don't expose the poseur midlife crises dweebs for what they are!

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
mtbnut said:
You are right on. I know the spot is not made for the norba course at deer valley. I have guys looking at me thinking....what the freholy is he doing on that bike. Bigger wheels and tires are not the solution. Time to look really close at the RFX.
yeah, you wouldn't want to have to improve your skills, would you? those 3 foot drops are so demanding! those ski hills make you need a bigger bike!

why did you come here to ask this question if your plan was to just buy the new frame?

sounds to me like you're trolling for bottom feeders. looks like the midlife crisis underbuilt bike gang are your only takers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.