Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is a bad time for resisting UGI as ride time is limited. Those of you who own both the 5 Spot and the 6 Pack, do you find yourself riding the Pack more, and leaving the Spot collecting a bit of dust, or is your 6 Pack a secondary bike?

_MK

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Spot, Twice a much a the Six Pack, more nimble in the mud and as it is older than the Pack I'm not as precious with it.
It is wet most of the time over here at the moment I'm not going as fast as the Pack wants.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Honestly, I go back and forth. I like one more for two months, and then the other. Right now I ride the Pack a lot more, partly because it has the TNT rear end that I am... uh... "testing", and partly because I like the super-supple suspension on rutted ice. Last spring I was all over my 5-Spot. If I averaged it out, I probably put equal time on each.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Pretty much 50/50

I've got two groups of riding friends: the XCers and the DHers. Very different types of rides, requiring very different bikes.

6:30 tomorrow morning, if I'm not too wimpy to bold the, yikes, 40 deg (F) SoCal weather I'll be out with the XC crowd for some major distance and climbing. That'll be the Spot.

The other half of the time I out with my other friends, who'd never do a 6:30 AM ride, doing drops, pounding down rough trails at high speed, or spending an hour on one section working lines. Pack it would be.

Gotta have the right tool for the job.

I've got a DH bike as well set up with a small front ring for climbing, but for most stuff that's just too much bike. On the other hand I've climbed the Pack up our local 5700' mountain without a lot of trouble.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,931 Posts
okay, I don't own either specific bike, but I do have a '02 RFX with both sets of rockers and my domestic partner recently bought a 5 spot, all of our bikes are smalls. I also intend to replace my old RFX with the '06 model.

I don't find myself craving the 5 spot because no matter with who, what, or where I ride I will be looking for things to hit and throw myself off of. For one bike versatility I think an ideal setup would be RFX and 66SL, set the height of the 66 to emulate a 5 spot HT angle, and run the light rubber. Full height on the 66 and beef up the wheels and you've got the confidence inspiring setup.

Personally my setup is perfect set it and forget it with the van36 and 1000g 2.5's.

Having two bikes to choose from is complicated, I would lean towards pairing up a spot with something more substantial than a RFX.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Both

It really depends how lazy I'm feeling. My old route 66 weighs 37 lbs so if I'm down on energy or it's a 20+ mile ride I'll usually jump on the 29 lb 5 Spot. For most of the really technical rides or the ones under 20 miles or if I'm not worried about keeping up with the group I'll ride the Pack/66.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
airwreck said:
For one bike versatility I think an ideal setup would be RFX and 66SL, set the height of the 66 to emulate a 5 spot HT angle, and run the light rubber. Full height on the 66 and beef up the wheels and you've got the confidence inspiring setup.
nananananananananana...I don't need to hear this right now. I am so close to making the SL purchase. How can I have winter UGI - we ride all year down here?

·
~~~~~~~~
5,931 Posts
SSINGA said:
nananananananananana...I don't need to hear this right now. I am so close to making the SL purchase. How can I have winter UGI - we ride all year down here?
If you are a true marzocchi lover how can you resist?
Next ride you won't be able to concentrate knowing that you would be having so much more fun with a bigger fork. The joy that my 36 has brought is exactly the kind of happiness that money can buy.

:D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
airwreck said:
If you are a true marzocchi lover how can you resist?
Next ride you won't be able to concentrate knowing that you would be having so much more fun with a bigger fork. The joy that my 36 has brought is exactly the kind of happiness that money can buy.

:D
If I just had that $$. Someone buy my ZAM and I'll order one today:D

They said it would be ok!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
rroeder said:
I wouldn't kick the other one out of bed either, well, I mean if I was single :D

MK-sorry for the sidetrack, couldn't help myself
I'd expect them both to be there, at the same time.
Hey, if you're gonna hijack a thread, it might as well be with hot babes.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Renegade said:
I'd expect them both to be there, at the same time.
Hey, if you're gonna hijack a thread, it might as well be with hot babes.
hijack #2-sorry MK ;)

I've tried 3 local stores here in the Springs and haven't found that Czar's IS, do have your liquor store order it???

1 - 20 of 65 Posts