Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it poossible to modify a cassette so that it will accomdiate 5 custom speeds and still fit on a 9 speed hub :confused:
i'd love to know as i have seen some of Jeff Jones' cassettes and they are beautiful, but the price not so much

·
Registered
810 Posts
Seems like you'd just need some spacers and cogs to play with. Shouldn't be too hard SRAM and LX cassettes have screws that you can take out and everything is apart, just need extra spacers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hopefully i can find some cheap singelspeed specific hubs

itll be a win win situation if i do go ahead and purchase one as i will be running singlespeed some of the time and 1x5 most of the time

And about the Sram cassettes, is there a specific model i would need to purchase so that i may take it apart, or do all of them do that

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
John's Smith said:
hopefully i can find some cheap singelspeed specific hubs

itll be a win win situation if i do go ahead and purchase one as i will be running singlespeed some of the time and 1x5 most of the time

And about the Sram cassettes, is there a specific model i would need to purchase so that i may take it apart, or do all of them do that
It really depends on what shifters and what hub you get. You have to get a freehub style singlespeed hub, the cheapest I'm aware of is Woodman. Since the Woodman uses a steel FH body (the more expensive versions use alloy) you can use individual cogs. Sram PG 830 and 850 for 8 speed spacing and PG 950 and 970 for 9 speed spacing can be taken apart to make a custom cassette.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for that, i will probably get started on purchasing the necesary within the month, hopefully all works out

o and i do have another question before you get away

i assume there are no 5 speed shifters out there, so would it be best to use a 3 speed in the rear and use a front d. shifter for the rear or would there be a way i could modify the shifter or deraileaur or whatever the hell needs to be modded if modding is necesary :confused:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
John's Smith said:
thanks for that, i will probably get started on purchasing the necesary within the month, hopefully all works out

o and i do have another question before you get away

i assume there are no 5 speed shifters out there, so would it be best to use a 3 speed in the rear and use a front d. shifter for the rear or would there be a way i could modify the shifter or deraileaur or whatever the hell needs to be modded if modding is necesary :confused:
If you are going to use indexed shifting, use the rear shifter for whatever spacing your going to use (ie 8 or 9 speed). You'll simple use the limit screws on the rear derailleur to limit the shifter to 5 gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.