Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm considering doing the 5 Pack thing with my current 6 Pack. Am I right thinking I need the rockers and a full rear end to carry this out? Or is it just a rocker swap? How does the 5 Spot rear change the geometry compared to the Pack?

One other thing what sort of price is a new rear triangle and are horst link rears available still as my Pack is a horst and I'm happy with it that way?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good Luck!!!1

Paul5s said:
Hi all,

I'm considering doing the 5 Pack thing with my current 6 Pack. Am I right thinking I need the rockers and a full rear end to carry this out? Or is it just a rocker swap? How does the 5 Spot rear change the geometry compared to the Pack?

One other thing what sort of price is a new rear triangle and are horst link rears available still as my Pack is a horst and I'm happy with it that way?

Thanks for any help.
Talk to Dave Turner. He may have some left in his closet at home or in his office.

What is wrong with TNT? Try it - you will not notice the 1mm diference:D

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
more info

Paul5,
If you go with the 5" spot rockers you will have a burly 5" travel bike with very similar geometry to the Pack. If you go with the rear end and 5" rockers you will have a burly 5" travel bike with similar geometry to the Spot.....I think a hair slacker.

I personally would not go the 5pack with out the Spot rear end. I tried it this way and did not like it. Basically felt the same geometry wise, same weight, but with less travel. I tried it because I thought it would be a bit better climbing and snappier on the flats. It was not worth it in my opnion.

The 5 spot rear end is a different story. i think this is a very sweet setup. A bit lighter with the spot rear, and great all around geometry for a 5" bike. You get the lower BB with this setup which makes this bike shine.

You can get the rear and rockers from Turner, but it is pricey. I checked into it once and think it was like $600+ just for the rear....no rockers.

It would probably be hard to find a Horst-Link rear these days.

Skullcrack and EIO have sweet 5Packs (Spot rear/Pack front) for reference.

If any 5spot owners in socal have any interest in trading a 5spot for a 6pack shoot me a PM...maybe we could work something out.
TG

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
Hi all,

Thanks for any help.
Hey Paul,

I thought you had aquired a set of 5" RFX rockers. No? The TNT is the way to go if you get a Spot rear. I rode the "test" set on my Pack for a 14 mile test ride and didn't notice the difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SSINGA said:
Hey Paul,

I thought you had aquired a set of 5" RFX rockers. No? The TNT is the way to go if you get a Spot rear. I rode the "test" set on my Pack for a 14 mile test ride and didn't notice the difference.
Hi SSINGA, I did have the 5" RFX rockers but was persuaded to part with them quite recently as they weren't in use...Doh!

I like the idea of a lower BB and dropping a bit of weight would be fine as my Pack is not getting the abuse it deserves right now :) most of the local trails don't require a 6" bike and quite a few of the ones that do are now off limits or destroyed by logging...

Also after a long spell off the bike with busted ribs last year on the local DH run I seem to be shying away from that as at 40+ now I don't heal too fast and don't get paid either if I'm not in work :(
my old job did pay me when I was busted for 6 weeks :D

Hmm TNT might be the way to go then? More chance of getting the full 5 Pack that way than a horst link rear. I've not yet had the chance to test a TNT round here though...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SSINGA said:
Get a Spot TNT rear and the rockers and you will be set.
I've emailed Jarret again to try and get some prices and details the distributer here said try Turner direct, Turner emailed later to say ask the distributer...

Do Turner do any deals on the rear tiangle or is it just front ends that have the exchange deal or was there a time limit on this?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
I've emailed Jarret again to try and get some prices and details the distributer here said try Turner direct, Turner emailed later to say ask the distributer...

Do Turner do any deals on the rear tiangle or is it just front ends that have the exchange deal or was there a time limit on this?
I'm not sure Paul. Get JNC online as he has done all this. I'm still on my RFX 5" rocker and the HL Pack rear.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Paul5s said:
Also after a long spell off the bike with busted ribs last year on the local DH run I seem to be shying away from that as at 40+ now I don't heal too fast and don't get paid either if I'm not in work :(
my old job did pay me when I was busted for 6 weeks :D
Having been there at the time, and having broke my own ribs on the exact same drop the following week I can whole heartedly agree that shying away from that kind of Tom foolery doesn't hurt half as much! Eyup Paul! ;)

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Paul5s said:
Howdo J :)

Guess you're right SSINGA...where is JNC when you need him? ;)
...I just bought the rear & rockers outright, direct from Turner. I have the full RFX rear stays + rockers and the full Spot stays + rockers so I can run either/ or plus a combo of both. I can't decide if I like the full Spot stays/ rocker or RFX CS/ Spot SS + Spot rockers best. It's nice & stiff and slack [w/ lo BB height :) ] with the mixed combo, but almost too slack on some of the extreme steeps we ride in this area.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
please clarify.
the 6pack/rfx seat stay is longer than a 5 spot seat stay, correct?
and the chainstays are the same length?

with the longer 6 pack seat stay and the five inch rockers the BB is lower and the HT is slacker than with the full 5 spot rear? or is it the other way around?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
airwreck said:
please clarify.

with the longer 6 pack seat stay and the five inch rockers the BB is lower and the HT is slacker than with the full 5 spot rear? or is it the other way around?
My impression from the view in the pic I posted is that the rear end will move down slightly, thus steepening the head angle and raising the bb. I could be wrong. Don't know how the shorter rear would work, however.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
airwreck said:
please clarify.

...if you just swap the rockers [5"] on the RFX & leave everything else it will basically maintain the same bb height & steepen the HA with a shorter fork. If you leave the Spot stays & use the 6" rockers, it will lower the BB & slacken the HA. ***

***This combo will produce the lowest bb of all the combos I tried [which is basicall all of them;)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Dudes.

Eric, lookee here.

DT said:
No offense to David Juarez, but I have tinkered around in the cad to see what would work. I never could get a 5 spot and Flux to mate. The shocks are 1" apart. All tinkering has to be "in family"

DT
please clarify.
Correct, about 1/2"
and the chainstays are the same length? Roughly- seems to depend on the generation

with the longer 6 pack seat stay and the five inch rockers the BB is lower and the HT is slacker than with the full 5 spot rear? Incorrect
or is it the other way around? Correct

:)

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
seems to me a shorter shock stay would lower the b/bkt and a longer chainstay would do the same but not as dramatically. these 2 run together would produce the lowest b/bkt numbers possible if used with a set of 5" A rockers, perhaps as much a 1 1/4" over the stock rfx/pack with no change in tire size. true? of course this would affect the head tube angle big time if the fork a to c wasnt carefully considered. just thinkin here.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.