Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that there are a number of posts out there already about this hybrid concept, but I was hoping to get a nice condensed collection of what is possible.

So if you have experience with the 5" RFX concept and you are willing to share some expertise, I will look forward to checking out your responses.

I should say that my creation would be based on an 06 RFX front triangle and I am open to suggestions from there.

I will most likely go with a PIke Air U-turn up front, but I am considering some of Marzocchi's travel adjust options as well.

Thanks in advance for your help with my potential project.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Not sure what you want to hear...

I have a pack front and the entire rear is from a spot. The reason for me was to get a lower bb and slacker angles. I posted some measurements here a while ago if you wan to search.

I also have some pack rockers and have done a little playing with those on it as well. This gives 6 inches of travel like the orig pack, just a bit lower and more relaxed. In this config, there is less rear tire clearance at full bottom and depending on the tire used, you might take some paint off of the seat tube if you use a spot rear w/6" rockers.

I had a 130mm Z1 on the bike and it felt OK for trail riding as far as geo is concerned, but I wanted some more versatility in both directions so The Z1 just got replaced with a Lyric u-turn to give anywhere from 115 to 160 mm of travel. I do not have much time on this config as I just had a spinal surgery and am looking at 4 months of no impact recovery,

but

the idea is a bike that will fill all my non DH duty, kind of a hybrid of a 4X bike and a heavier duty trail bike. For me that is trail riding, AM, some street dorking, and some jumping as well as the ocasional FH or DH that might be encountered on any given ride....I am NOT a spandex XC rider....for that I have a road bike.

As spring comes and I am able to ride, I am sure this bike will end up being exactly what I wanted..the numbers are what I wanted and siting on it, it feels right

:thumbsup:

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
davep said:
Not sure what you want to hear...

I have a pack front and the entire rear is from a spot. The reason for me was to get a lower bb and slacker angles. I posted some measurements here a while ago if you wan to search.

I also have some pack rockers and have done a little playing with those on it as well. This gives 6 inches of travel like the orig pack, just a bit lower and more relaxed. In this config, there is less rear tire clearance at full bottom and depending on the tire used, you might take some paint off of the seat tube if you use a spot rear w/6" rockers.

I had a 130mm Z1 on the bike and it felt OK for trail riding as far as geo is concerned, but I wanted some more versatility in both directions so The Z1 just got replaced with a Lyric u-turn to give anywhere from 115 to 160 mm of travel. I do not have much time on this config as I just had a spinal surgery and am looking at 4 months of no impact recovery,

but

the idea is a bike that will fill all my non DH duty, kind of a hybrid of a 4X bike and a heavier duty trail bike. For me that is trail riding, AM, some street dorking, and some jumping as well as the ocasional FH or DH that might be encountered on any given ride....I am NOT a spandex XC rider....for that I have a road bike.

As spring comes and I am able to ride, I am sure this bike will end up being exactly what I wanted..the numbers are what I wanted and siting on it, it feels right

:thumbsup:
Yup, the 5 Pack is a great setup. I am running mine exactly the way you are with the Spot rear and really like it. I have yet to mess around with Pack rockers, but it is in the future. Question: What make and size tires are you using with your 6" rockers and what kind of clearance are you getting?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
With a brand new Mich 2.2 DH tire (about the size of a Maxxis 2.5) on a mavic 729 (huge DH rim that gives a bigger tire print) the tire just touches the seat tube with the rocker holes at exactly 5.5 inches center to center. I am not actually sure that you could realistically compress a shock that far. You would have to smash the bottom out bumper to 0.00inches before any contact was made. I covered the possible contact area with some clear protective film...seems like that should do it.

This was a clean tire, and there are bigger tires out there (not sure why you would need a bigger tire for the use of this frame..). Some mud would change this for sure, but in general, mud works better with a smaller tire. Still not sure that this would be an issue in real life. I tried but could not get contact with a shock in the frame sans spring.. could not flatten the bumper enough.

I have heard that the older RFX frames had the deraileur cable stop in a place that would cause more contact (not to the side like the current model)

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
My setup is slightly different but it works well for me. I have the stock 05 Pack front and rear with the 5.3" Spot rockers. Up front I run a 66SL set at 160-165mm.

I really like it. I have posted the geo in some of the other threads (can't remember what all the #'s are off hand). I have no tire rubbing or any other wierdness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.