Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29" is better than 26"??

Yes, Germany is waking up to 29'ers.

They did the same test w. Specialized Epic Comp 26&29. 4 out of 5 chose the 29'er.

Courtesy Bike Germany.

Attachments

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Interesting. I just spent two weeks in the Alps (her on big girl's wheels, myself riding my by comparison RM Tribal BMX...).

The first bikers we came across (in the middle of nowhere in Switserland) were and elderly couple with 29er Specializeds. At the lift next day there's a guy standing there with an Altitude 29. Bike shop down the road: Vertex 29 in a display stand. Our two visits to TransAlp finish towns were similar: unexpected numbers of 29ers to be seen in a part of the world where people still ride rigid hardtails with 21" handlebars and bar-ends. :eek:

Could RM do a wheel size upgrade program? ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure. Just PM me your credit card #...

;)

Wow. In all seriousness, are we seeing the frontside of the wave??

·
Registered
586 Posts
RMB-PM said:
quite likely - now that prices and parts are a bit closer to par with 26" bikes, the market has a real potential to take off. My LBS did a demo night at one of the more popular MTB trailheads and everyone was all over the 29ers. The next few years could be quite interesting to see how much of a market share the big wheels can grab a hold of. I know people that I race with have follwed my wheel through some techy climbs and rocky/rooty sections and they are all amazed at how easy the big wheels make it look vs how hard they had to work to get through those sections.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
That and didn't the German bike federation finally just legalize 29" bikes in MTB competition? That'll mean more German manufacturers, distributors and bike shops will actually have some 29" inventory and more people will see them being used and actually give them a try.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
One by one my whole group, but one, has converted to the 29 inch bikes. They just work so much better in rocky New England. It's very hard to go back to a 26er after riding a big wheel for a while. Even at the local races there is a huge 29er representation.

·
Registered
937 Posts
fairly local Specialized dealer told me a few weeks ago that they don't carry the 26" full-suspensions anymore, because the 29'ers just work so much better.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
RMB-PM said:
Sure. Just PM me your credit card #...

;)

I think so. I suspect in part people are waking up to the obvious reality that bigger wheels roll better, but more importantly all kinds of misconceptions about geometry and fit are slowly being thrown overboard. I don't think you'll ever get a 29er to feel exactly the same as a 26er, but who says that's a bad thing?

Now the question is how many of my 26ers do I have to replace, and how much would just be pure luxury. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts