Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where do I start with this one, Brandon was kind enough to allow me to ride his shiny new Sultan tonight. In a word...WOW!

My past experiences with 29ers have been, well, less than impressive. They've been heavy, sluggish feeling, flexy (in some instances, scary flexy), and generally just not a whole lot of fun to ride. So I've been some what turned off to the whole 29er concept, that's pretty much changed as of tonight.

Now some of this may be a little skewed because the frame I was riding was a size to large. Brandon rides a Sasquatch, and I would be running an XL, so she was a tad on the tall side, and more than a little on the long side, but I still think I got a solid feel for the way the whole thing worked.

Stiff, the frame is very solid feeling, pretty typical Turner. Also very impressive for as huge as this frame really is, if I'm not mistaken, a down tube was welded in place of the standard top tube, that thing is huge! I also didn't feel any flex out of the rear stays, they tracked nice and true with out a single complaint.

The suspension, firm yet plush. If I were to make an analogy between the RFX and the Sultan, the RFX is to a well built 4x4 as the Sultan is to a well tuned Ferrari. The difference in the suspension is very noticeable, and yes I know they're two completely different animals but it's the only thing I have to compare it to. The rear end is pretty firm, even with the pro pedal turned off, but it's not so firm that it kicks your ass. Even when climbing I didn't feel the need to flip that switch, there wasn't any unwanted or noticeable feed back in any way. I pedaled, it scooted forward, which was another thing that blew me away about this thing, it takes off like your riding on a 26" bike. Very impressive.

Handling, again very impressive. I fully expected this thing to handle slow, and make me work to get through the corners, especially with a 47.3" wheel base. This thing was surprisingly nimble, and responded to my every input, intentional or not. I could push it hard into the corners, and she'd stick like glue, switch backs, both uphill and downhill, were really a treat, nice and stable without any hint of wanting to under or over steer.

Climbing definitely didn't suck. As a matter of fact, a climb that I normally have to stop for a breather or two, I cleared with no stops. It seemed like I wasn't using nearly as much energy to get up it, even compared to riding the old Burner (RIP). Some how it made the whole climbing thing more bearable. I did have to mind the front end a little bit as it had a tendency to want to lift and wander, but I'm thinking that may have more to do with the top tube being a bit too long for my some what evenly proportioned body. I know my shoulders and wrists are a bit sore from being too stretched out.

There's nothing I would really change, but I don't have a ton of time on the bike to form a solid opinion in that respect.

Overall, it rides like a Turner, and for those of you who know what that means, you get it, if your reading this and don't know what I mean, find one, throw a leg over it and go enjoy. I would really like to ride a few of the other 29ers that have come out in the last couple of years, unfortunately my chance for that got washed out (literally) this year, but I'm definitely gonna shoot for it next year. I'm sure there are other bikes that ride and handle just as well, but I haven't ridden it yet but would be more than interested in trying a few out.

In all I think this is a very solid first effort from Turner, and I can only see it getting better from here. Maybe a bit lighter, and knowing Turner it'll continue to be refined as long as it's around. There is definately going to be an order for one of these here shortly.

happy trails...

squish

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Nice job Squish, Thanks

Just what I wanted to hear,I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed the ride.Keep us posted to when you make the big leap..Hope to be "Leaping" myself sometime soon. Hey what color was the bike that you rode? And what color do you plan on going with? thanks again..CF...

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike I rode was Sangria Red, and it is absolutely gorgeous in the sun. But I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a nice Semi Gloss Black.

Can't wait, just have to get some cash saved up a set of hubs ordered and a few other small bits, but I've got most of it already sitting.

happy trails...

squish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.