Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What 5 inch forks do turner riders use and why? looking at the marz. am 1/ pike/ or keep the rlc. am i on the right track?

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
Give more info - your weight, riding style/terrain, general bike build, etc. Also, if you look at the stickies at the top of the Turner forum, there are a bunch of threads on this. For what it's worth, I have tried a Minute, Nixon, and Vanilla, but keep coming back to the Marz All Mountain 1 ('06) despite the very high A-C. I actually like the weight up front, and it just feels and tracks great. FIY, the A-C of the minute is 505mm(130mm travel), the Nixon 518mm(145mm travel), the Pike 517-518mm(140mm travel), while I measure my Marz at 527mm (130mm travel.) Really slacks it out, I just run a little more sag. I have the 130-150mm version, so if you found the 110-130mm model you could keep the angles closer to what DT originally designed. PS Any mis- or dis- information above is completely my fault. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that helps a little. i do ride pretty much co. single track with lots of climbing. i live at 7000 feet and it only goes up from here. my weight w/ pack is around 190 on a lean day. ok mostly a bit more:D i am trying to build it light as i can but not stupid light. I do have a flux so i know its going to be heavier than that bike. anyway is the AM 1 a good choice or is it a pig.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I didn't like the AM1. The height and the wierd clicking on multiple sharp-edged hits didn't work for me.

I liked the new Vanilla 140, but even that was a little tall for the Spot (which is my pure xc bike -- the RFX handles tougher stuff). With the addition of PUSH 5.7 inch travel rockers, it lifted up the back end, and all the climbing I love to do was fun again, not a strain.

For me, this fork has been perfect in dimension and function for the Spot. I wanted something that I wouldn't need adjustable travel on, and I found it. (OK, I had it Pushed, which made it even better, but it was really good out of the box)

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
I'm still a fan of the 2004 Z1fr 130mm.....it's a pretty foolproof fork and the damping action is very nice.. [who the hell actually adjusts their travel anyway....], and you can get them for next to nothing nowdays.....I've often thought of upgrading, but really can't justify it after I dialed in the oil level and put new enduro wipers on - it's a keeper and compliments the Spot's handling

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
jokermtb said:
I'm still a fan of the 2004 Z1fr 130mm.....it's a pretty foolproof fork and the damping action is very nice.. [who the hell actually adjusts their travel anyway....], and you can get them for next to nothing nowdays.....I've often thought of upgrading, but really can't justify it after I dialed in the oil level and put new enduro wipers on - it's a keeper and compliments the Spot's handling
you can't have too may steep climbs where you ride or you are tachnicnally a very gifted rider - i started cleaning stuff i had never cleaned when i went from a 03 130mm Z1 FR to a 130mm reveleation - the zoke was super plush but I like the faster handling / better clibing combo of a revelation over a Z! FR.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
The Revelation is essentially a 130mm Reba. Same air spring system, damping, stanchion diameter(32mm), and about .25 lbs. heavier. I have a Spot that's morphing into a more XC type bike and I have been really happy with it.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
tg said:
Can you tell me more about the RS revolation ? I know im not interested in a 20m wheel.
check out the sram/rockshox website - they are great forks - pretty cheap and the best option if you are not getting a fork with a 20mm thru axle.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like the perfect fork for my 5-spot. how much should i sell my like new RLC 130 for? it is in perfect condition but the steerer is too short for my xl frame.:madman:

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I can't believe 11 replies an no one suggested to check the FAQ. :p
It has the link to the ever-popular What fork for my Spot Thread :thumbsup:

My vote is for the Pike... but it really depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. If it's general trail duty... Pike all the way (or the QR equivalent) If you plan on riding very agressively on a frequent basis, on very challanging terrain, then the Zokes, like the Z1 are excellent.

The Pike can certainly handle the beating, but when it comes to diving headfirst into axle deep rock gardens, there's something about a Zoke that makes your front end the least of your worries.

Both are great forks.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Bikezilla said:
I can't believe 11 replies an no one suggested to check the FAQ. :p

Check the ever-popular What fork for my Spot Thread :thumbsup:
Zilla, I have made a few sarcastic comments to posters asking about forks and mentioned the search function a few times but people don't listen - if you can't beam em join em..as an observation though I wonder how many of the threads on this forum are regurgitated every few weeks by different posters.....there probably isn't a lot of original content here...

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Yeppers. People tend to breeze by the FAQ... gentle reminders are our best bet.
We have label it in a way to sugges "Check here first...No REALLY!"

Most folks prolly assume the FAQ contains posting guidelines or something. Totally understandable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pace RC41?

Anyone tried the 07 pace RC41 on a spot? I've been thinking about trying one in XCAM (5") or Fighter (6") guise, but I'm not sure which would be better. With an A-C of 509mm and a weight of 3.7lbs for the 6" version, I would imagine that it keeps the steering sharp and the front light enough to manual over stuff really easily. The only reason that I'm changing from my vanillas is to build my spot lighter as I'm doing the TR on it this year (the other big contender is the float 140).

On the downside, I've heard rumours that pace reliability isn't great, but also rumours that quality issues have been fixed.. anyone know what the story is?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pace RC41?

Anyone tried the 07 pace RC41 on a spot? I've been thinking about trying one in XCAM (5") or Fighter (6") guise, but I'm not sure which would be better. With an A-C of 509mm and a weight of 3.7lbs for the 6" version, I would imagine that it keeps the steering sharp and the front light enough to manual over stuff really easily. The only reason that I'm changing from my vanillas is to build my spot lighter as I'm doing the TR on it this year (the other big contender is the float 140).

On the downside, I've heard rumours that pace reliability isn't great, but also rumours that quality issues have been fixed.. anyone know what the story is?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
jokermtb said:
I second Joker. I've ran a 2005 Vanilla RLC, 2004 Z1 FR, quick release version, an AM1, later moded to a ZAM1 (20mm lowers), a Maverick DUC32 and a PIKE, dual air (I have a coil on my DJ bike).

The Vanilla was my first fork on the bike. I came off a Burner and ran a 04 Vanilla set to 105mm on that bike. The fork felt very stiff on a Burner. At 130mm on a 5 Spot, I felt a lot of flex. Pushing the bike in rocky sections made me nervous.

I almost imediatelly bought a Z1. It out performed the Vanilla in every aspect, save for weight. It is worlds stiffer, better damped and gave the bike a better handling charactersitic. That last statement is heavily biased as I like slacker bikes. This was the fork which I had on my Spot the longest.

Then, the AM1 came out and people were really raving about them. I became the victim to the hype and I upgraded, again. There really wasn't that much I gained from it, the quality of damping wasn't much, if at all, better. It did have travel adjust between 130 and 150mm, but I never ran it at more than 130mm on the Spot. I also saw a lot of potential in the TST, especially after Renegade gave me a mod to remove the detents and have infinite adjustment. It worked well, but sometimes my compression would turn itself and I would find myself hitting a drop with a nearly locked out fork. Somewhere along the way I also replaced the lowers with 20mm ones as I started running 210mm Louise FRs and was not at all comfortable doing that with a QR fork. I noticed little in terms of stiffness gain.

Somewhere around there I got a DUC32. It was a great fork, too. (my girlfriend's running it now) I had the damper moded and it rode really well. I love their 24mm quick release system. The fork was very stiff, fore/aft in particular. But the damper, although heavily moded, left a few things to be desired and the 6in of travel the fork had didn't really feel like an improvement of the 5in I ran before.

I caught upgraditis again and got a Dual Air PIKE, lured initially, by the U-Turn air and the highly touted Motion Control damper. I never used my ETA or the climbing control on the DUC, so I figured forget the U-Turn, and so I opted for the slightly lighter and simpler dual air. Initially, I really, really liked the fork. It wasn't cadillac plush the way Marzocchis are, rather it rode like it belonged on a well tuned touring car. Firm, but very compliant. It wasn't quite as stiff as my ZAM1 was, but it was still a lot better than the Vanilla. And then I started noticing issues. I would lose travel on my rides due to air passing between positive and negative chambers. I've rebuilt it several times with differnet viscosity air spring fluids and couldn't cure the problem. Oil leaked out of the Motion Control damper through the floodgate. And the final straw was the fact that my compression knob would never stay in place. To its credit, it was a fork I stared braving larger drops on and it took them really well, never bottoming. I was pushing the limits of the Spot and subsequently got the RFX with a 66SL, but that's a whole different story.

Going back through all those forks, I've gotta say the 04 Z1 is my fondest memory. It was the most reliable of the bunch. The maintenance was simple, it had only rebound and ETA controls. And it was dead sexy. Rebound is all I ever used in addition to the oil levels I played with initially to dial it in. Handling for me was spot on.

The new Vanilla seemed promissing to me as the redisigned chasis is said to be considerably sitffer. But Fox added 10mm of travel and made it non-adjustible and I am afraid it feels the way the old one did at 130mm. PIKE coil, as well as, as far as I can tell, all other Rock Shox coil forks, is really easy to bottom out, unless you run a too stiff spring, but then, it's like owning a Manitou with SPV.

And one fork I never got to run on my 5 Spot, but which always had my attention was a 2003 or 2004 Mantiou Sherman Firefly with TPC damping. A lot of people who owned these had nothing but great things to say about them, including that they are/were stiffer than the Z1.

_MK

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
MK_ said:
I caught upgraditis again and got a Dual Air PIKE...I would lose travel on my rides due to air passing between positive and negative chambers. I've rebuilt it several times with differnet viscosity air spring fluids and couldn't cure the problem. Oil leaked out of the Motion Control damper through the floodgate. And the final straw was the fact that my compression knob would never stay in place.
FWIW to anyone else considering a PIKE Dual-Air, my fork also "shares" air between the pos and neg chambers. It only loses about 5mm or so every 10-14 days of riding so I'm accustomed to re-adjusting the pressures periodically. No biggie. Sounds like mine doesn't share air as quickly as MK's did and I haven't had any of the other issue MK' had (now my Pike will explode tomorrow). Except for some minor damage caused by me almost driving the 'Spot into the garage, the Pike has been great. It has been more reliable and performs better than the '05 TALAS 130RLC it replaced.

Oh, and I use the travel adjust almost every single ride. Really helps on the staircase steep ups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.