Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike has been my favorite ride for several years now, I converted it from a geary about 3-4 months ago, and @ 5" it seems to be the best all arounder for my type "O" ridin. Climbs great, handles like a sports car, descents R wicked fun. Was on a Spider SS for over a year and felt I needed that extra inch. After long rides on the Spider my hands would ache, the extra travel seems to make all the diff. I highly recommend VPP for SS riding, they climb really really good. And yes this is a blatant plug for VPP so flame on.

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,752 Posts
n10'sGuy said:
...And yes this is a blatant plug for VPP so flame on.
How could anybody flame THAT?

Nice sled! :)

--Sparty

Edit: P.S. After taking another look at the pic I do have a couple questions, though. (1) What kind of tensioner is that, and (2) Why not use a QR on the rear wheel? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sparticus said:
How could anybody flame THAT?
Because n10'sGuy is a company shill! :D

I think it is great to see full bouncy singlespeeds and I like that n10'sGuy posts here.

Nice ride!
n10'sGuy said:
...After long rides on the Spider my hands would ache...
I think your hands ache because of the funky no-bend handlebars.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tingj said:
Very nice! I'd like to try that. How much weight did you save going SS?

Gearing?

And do you really need that much chain? Did you try any other tensioners?

JT
Weight, I'm not sure what it weighs, maybe 20-21lbs
Gearing 34/19
Yes you need that much chain, the suspension moves up and back, I did try a singleator but you don't get enough chain wrap with it.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Hi n10'sguy

I'm considering doing something similar to my Tracer, do you think the FSR design is as well suited to SS as the VPP or would it not be advised?

Also when you say it's 5" are you talking about the forks or the rear travel aswell?

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Well...

Transition J said:
Hi n10'sguy

I'm considering doing something similar to my Tracer, do you think the FSR design is as well suited to SS as the VPP or would it not be advised?

Also when you say it's 5" are you talking about the forks or the rear travel aswell?
From a theoretical standpoint, a 4 bar design would not be as amenable to SS conversion as a VPP, given all the pedal mashing needed when riding a SS. I won't go into all the techno-babble though, after all, this is a SS forum.

From a moral standpoint it's all evil.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Professor said:
you want to sell me those cranks
I've got a pair of silver square taper Turbine LP's if you're looking. Threads for granny are messed up, but would work great as a SS crank. Plus I'm only 45min away (Loveland).
Larry
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Miker J said:
From a theoretical standpoint, a 4 bar design would not be as amenable to SS conversion as a VPP, given all the pedal mashing needed when riding a SS. I won't go into all the techno-babble though, after all, this is a SS forum.

From a moral standpoint it's all evil.
That's what I thought to be honest, as I know the Tracer bobs in the middle (34T) ring and I can mash the pedals on my Uzzi all day long without having to worry about being smooth...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Transition J said:
Hi n10'sguy

IMO I'd say VPP is better suited by a country mile.

5" yes front and rear. This particular frame (above) is prototype #1 for the 5.5
It has the light Spider tubeset, but was built with a 7.5 X 2.0 shock to get to 5" travel.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey N10'sguy Lets Ride !!!

HEY N10'SGUY the trails out at Vail Lake are looking pretty good. You got time to cruise that ss on some roller coasters? By the way I think you got Anthony in trouble. He wants one of those 29rs. Another toy for the boy! Hope you had a great turkey day. See ya on the trails.
Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.