Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this in the SS board because that's where I mostly post on MTBR and all my peeps are in hear. Next time I do it I will use an SS.

I headed up to New York City this weekend to ride the 5 Boro tour of the city. A very well organized ride with close to 30,000 riders. It covers the entire city with a 42 mile loop and countless bridges. My family and I stayed with some friends on Long Island.

My guides for the trip were Billy and Daron, both born and raised in Long Island. This was their 24th time riding the 5 Boro. I was in good hands.

We parked in Brooklyn by the Brooklyn Bridge and road into the city towards Lower Manhattan and the start. We bypassed the huge starting line and road the bike path along the east side.

The Intrepid.

A view from within Central Park towards Manhattan.

Almost half my photos were taken while riding the bike. I one-handed the camera and blazed away. This is the Queens-Brooklyn bridge.

On our way into Queens.

Veranzano Bridge.

My fellow riders. I had a great time with these two. They new the city well and showed me safe passage through the big city.

The ride terminates at the Staten Island Ferry on Staten Island. The tour price includes your ferry ride back to Manhattan. I road my cross bike and it was the perfect bike for riding the city streets.

There were many eclectic riders and I should have taken more pictures of them.

She needs no introduction.

Brooklyn Bridge.

Going over the Brooklyn Bridge was not in the tour, but an extra treat for me!

A really great time. We started in the rain and cold and finished in the sunshine canyons of Lower Manhattan. We ended up with 48 miles. Riding through the city, away from the tour route, was an experience in and on itself. I've never ridden big city before and it was a little nerve racking dealing with taxis, cops, buses and pedestrians.

Tim

·
415 Posts
Looks to me like you somehow avoided the ferry fiasco.

Normally I'm pretty a optimistic person and try to see the bright side of things...and I was having a pretty good time up until then, but after standing in line elbow to elbow with 20,000 other people crammed into a corral in a two mile long bike person traffic jam for 3+ HOURS I started to get a little edgy.

Next time, I'll do things differently - join the ride around central park, and bail out in Brooklyn and take the subway back...On second thought I think I'll just skip it entirely. Never again !

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Tom) said:
Looks to me like you somehow avoided the ferry fiasco.

Normally I'm pretty a optimistic person and try to see the bright side of things...and I was having a pretty good time up until then, but after standing in line elbow to elbow with 20,000 other people crammed into a corral in a two mile long bike person traffic jam for 3+ HOURS I started to get a little edgy.

Next time, I'll do things differently - join the ride around central park, and bail out in Brooklyn and take the subway back...On second thought I think I'll just skip it entirely. Never again !
Sorry to hear about that. I bought a budweiser from some guy on the side of the road and drank it while waiting for the ferry. I waited about 45 minutes total. It took two ferry loads for me to get on one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.