Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a race face next lp crankset not long ago. I am now looking for rings for it. Who makes some nice 5 bolt stuff? Should I use just race face rings?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ibismojo said:
I bought myself a race face next lp crankset not long ago. I am now looking for rings for it. Who makes some nice 5 bolt stuff? Should I use just race face rings?
Salsa offers some nice rings. I always try to buy the un-ramped versions, even for double/triple cranks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ibismojo said:
please correct me if i am wrong here, but don't the ramped ring make for better shifting?
Only if you do not know how to shift. I do, and my chain stays on the ring better when I want it to stay on. The rings wear longer, too.

In most cases my bikes shift faster with with straight cut tooth rings. The shift can be made at any point in the crank rotation. With ramped rings it usually happens only at two spots.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
Only if you do not know how to shift. I do, and my chain stays on the ring better when I want it to stay on. The rings wear longer, too.

In most cases my bikes shift faster with with straight cut tooth rings. The shift can be made at any point in the crank rotation. With ramped rings it usually happens only at two spots.
oh ok, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
159 Posts
shiggy said:

Hi Shiggy,

Can you expand on these points further please?

Thanks,

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Shiggy...are you using indexed front shifters or bar-con friction front shifters with your drop bars (I can't tell from your pictures)?

I ask because while non-ramped chainrings will definently work fine with a friction shifter, I would disagree with you on the non-ramped Salsa rings working well with an indexed front shifter. I say this purely from personal experience as I had a non-ramped Salsa front chainring on a 2 x 9 system I was running and it didn't shift nearly as smoothly with an indexed shifter. I've been riding for 15 years and spent 8 years as a mechanic (and a good one at that) so I can confidently say I had things adjusted properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.