Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm racking my brain trying to decide between a long travel 26er (Giant Reign or Trance, both with a custom build with a 150mm fork) or a Niner Rip 9 with a 120mm fork. The bike would be for thrashing around Pisgah trails around Asheville and Dupont stuff. I already have a short travel 29er for fast XC stuff. Any advice?

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
ride4burritos said:
I'm racking my brain trying to decide between a long travel 26er (Giant Reign or Trance, both with a custom build with a 150mm fork) or a Niner Rip 9 with a 120mm fork. The bike would be for thrashing around Pisgah trails around Asheville and Dupont stuff. I already have a short travel 29er for fast XC stuff. Any advice?
if it's been a while since you have been on a 26er, it's going to be tough going back to kiddie wheels. Why not rent a bike at Sycamore or the Hub to see if you still like little wheels. Might look at a Tallboy, I haven't heard a bad review of that bike yet.

·
364 Posts
cruso414 said:
if it's been a while since you have been on a 26er, it's going to be tough going back to kiddie wheels. Why not rent a bike at Sycamore or the Hub to see if you still like little wheels. Might look at a Tallboy, I haven't heard a bad review of that bike yet.
You and your freaking clown wheels. Oh, and the clown-specific jersey... :rolleyes:

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
ride4burritos said:
Both sound like great bikes. IMHO you should pick one your comfortable climbing on. So much of ride time in Pisgah is spent climbing.

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
708 Posts
Not that Mountain Bike Action Magazine is the say all when it comes to bikes but they just had the same question from a reader and recomended the Pivot Mach 5 for Western NC trails over a 29er. It is in last months issue. They state that riding the tight sinlge track of WNC is better on a 26er. They are biased toward Mach 5 though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.