Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on what this guy Jeff claims on the last post in the 5.5 product review? Is it true that it has only 4.5" of travel?
I just ordered my 5.5 frame based on the 5.5" of travel stated by Intense. Would be rather disappointing if it wasn't...

·
Registered
663 Posts
copello said:
Can anyone comment on what this guy Jeff claims on the last post in the 5.5 product review? Is it true that it has only 4.5" of travel?
I just ordered my 5.5 frame based on the 5.5" of travel stated by Intense. Would be rather disappointing if it wasn't...
Give us a hot link please to that post. Dont know that U talking about. I own a 5.5, doesnt seem like 4.5" at all.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok

Found the post.
My only guess could be that the guys shock may be damaged therefore does not go through all of it's stroke.
Although, it would be interesting to trace the bike's travel on a cardboard and check out it's travel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh. You posted while I was trying to figure out the hyperlink thing. Anyway, Jeff there says that he took off the shock before measuring the travel. Doesn't describe how he measured though. I just e-mailed him a request to clarify his claim here on this thread.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
4.5/5.5

I was told that the 5.5 has about the same travel as a Blur by a bikeshop employee but I don't believe a claim like that until I heare it from a reputable scource. This kid was into riding but by no means an expert and I don't think intense could get away with a claim like that with a bike that has been out for so long.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Tree said:
What is the actual travel?
Someone with a 5.5 can measure it themselves. Measure the stroke of the shock and the length then flip the bike upside down (perhaps without the seat on because of the flex) and measure from the floor to the axel then take off the shock and drop the rear end by minus the stroke of the shock with the length of it at the linkage where the shock connects . That would be a close enough estimate of the actual travel.
(so I suck at explaining but gives you one way to measure it.) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Jeff appears to be correct!

I own a 5.5 which I've had for over a year. When this thread was first posted my first reaction was denial. No way can he be right but I subscribed to this thread anyway, hoping that someone was going to show me he is wrong. I love this bike and have no interest in changing it. It does what ever I need it to. I don't do any drops or jumps but I regularly ride some rough rocky single trails. I'm quite heavy at about 210lbs. and I don't get the bike to bottom out, even with the SPV on my Swinger 4-Way at full volume. I do set the sag as directed.

The weather has been awful the past few days, so no riding. I decided to see if I could check this claim out. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that suspension travel is the difference between fully extended and fully compressed.

With my bike hanging on my work stand and the shock fully inflated, I measured the hight of the rear axle from the floor. I then deflated the shock and SPV and fully compressed the suspension. I would like to point out that the wheel arch in the rear triangle actually touches the seat tube at this point, so no chance of not being fully compressed. I then measured the distance to the floor again. I came up with 123mm. being the difference between the two measurements! Surely I made a mistake! I then took the bike off the stand and turned it upside down on the floor and very carefully repeated the procedure, Again making sure the triangle was against the set tube when compressed to allow maximum travel. I made a small mark with a felt tip on the Q/R and measured with a very stiff steel meter rule. I then repressurised the shock and measured the fully extended distance. The difference this time came to 121mm! This I'd say is the more accurate measurement as there was some movement in the work stand but close enough. 121mm is 4.76 inches.

The shock is the one the bike came with from the factory. I suppose that with a longer throw it would be possible to get a bit more travel, if such a shock exists or would fit, but as it is there is not 5.5 inches of travel. I'm also aware that the axle path is a flattened "S" shape but I followed the tread recently comparing various axle paths and I do not believe that the curvature could account for more than a few millimeters, not to mention another 18mm or 0.75 of an inch.

If my methodology for arriving at this conclusion is incorrect, I would bow to superior knowledge but at the moment I am rather disappointed.

Ronnie.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
Wow thats pretty crazy i was thinking that the curvurture would make up the difference but .76 of an inch is pretty big. i dont think it has 20mm of curvurture. i could be wrong but this is crazy

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
Ronnie said:
I own a 5.5 which I've had for over a year. When this thread was first posted my first reaction was denial. No way can he be right but I subscribed to this thread anyway, hoping that someone was going to show me he is wrong. I love this bike and have no interest in changing it. It does what ever I need it to. I don't do any drops or jumps but I regularly ride some rough rocky single trails. I'm quite heavy at about 210lbs. and I don't get the bike to bottom out, even with the SPV on my Swinger 4-Way at full volume. I do set the sag as directed.

The weather has been awful the past few days, so no riding. I decided to see if I could check this claim out. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that suspension travel is the difference between fully extended and fully compressed.

With my bike hanging on my work stand and the shock fully inflated, I measured the hight of the rear axle from the floor. I then deflated the shock and SPV and fully compressed the suspension. I would like to point out that the wheel arch in the rear triangle actually touches the seat tube at this point, so no chance of not being fully compressed. I then measured the distance to the floor again. I came up with 123mm. being the difference between the two measurements! Surely I made a mistake! I then took the bike off the stand and turned it upside down on the floor and very carefully repeated the procedure, Again making sure the triangle was against the set tube when compressed to allow maximum travel. I made a small mark with a felt tip on the Q/R and measured with a very stiff steel meter rule. I then repressurised the shock and measured the fully extended distance. The difference this time came to 121mm! This I'd say is the more accurate measurement as there was some movement in the work stand but close enough. 121mm is 4.76 inches.

The shock is the one the bike came with from the factory. I suppose that with a longer throw it would be possible to get a bit more travel, if such a shock exists or would fit, but as it is there is not 5.5 inches of travel. I'm also aware that the axle path is a flattened "S" shape but I followed the tread recently comparing various axle paths and I do not believe that the curvature could account for more than a few millimeters, not to mention another 18mm or 0.75 of an inch.

If my methodology for arriving at this conclusion is incorrect, I would bow to superior knowledge but at the moment I am rather disappointed.

Ronnie.
I used SuperNewb's rather unscientific approach to get 5 1/8" out of my med framed 5.5, also with the 4-way.

I also love mine to death. I ride very aggressively, weigh 190 w/ gear and I regularly do 3' drops. I turned the volume adjuster on the SPV chamber in 1 turn, but have never bottomed the suspension.

It may not be exactly as promised, and I'm not sure of the explanation, but it's not going up for sale anytime soon, regardless.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't want to believe it...

So, I measured the travel of my 5.5.
It's 4 3/4" when the rear triangle touches FD cable.
I assume the actual travel is pretty close to 4.5"

I alway feel it has about same amount of travel as my SLX
It's pretty hard for me to believe it has only 4.5" of travel
Anyway, I love my 5.5 (even it's actually a 4.5)
but kind of pissed off about the missing travel...
Let's see if there's any explaination from Intense

By the way, the whole thing makes me wonder how much actual travel the Spyder and VPX have...

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
Measuring the arc or a straight line?

I'm not exactly sure how everyone is measuring the travel of their 5.5 but I'm assuming that people know the travel of our VPP's are in the shape of an arc. Correct? If people are measuring the length of travel in a straight line, you will be getting shorter overall lengths. However, if you were to measure the actual ARC our suspension traces you will get a longer measurement of travel.

Now I'm curious about this! I'll check mine as soon as I get home

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Spidey-Lag said:
I'm not exactly sure how everyone is measuring the travel of their 5.5 but I'm assuming that people know the travel of our VPP's are in the shape of an arc. Correct? If people are measuring the length of travel in a straight line, you will be getting shorter overall lengths. However, if you were to measure the actual ARC our suspension traces you will get a longer measurement of travel.
I went into great detail above how I measured travel. I also meantioned that I am aware that the path is not a straight line. The attached photo is one that was posted by n10sguy on this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=90626&page=3

It is actually the trace from a VPX but for illustration purposes you can see that the curve is fairly flat and the distance could only increase by a few millimeters straightening it out. Print it and use a piece of string to see how much difference it makes.

Ronnie.

Attachments

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
Oh yeah... I remember this illustration you made..

Ronnie said:
I went into great detail above how I measured travel. I also meantioned that I am aware that the path is not a straight line. The attached photo is one that was posted by n10sguy on this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=90626&page=3

It is actually the trace from a VPX but for illustration purposes you can see that the curve is fairly flat and the distance could only increase by a few millimeters straightening it out. Print it and use a piece of string to see how much difference it makes.

Ronnie.
So, I guess this leaves us with 5.5's that don't quite make 5.5 inches of travel..... Kinda sucks but I guess if people are happy with the way the evp's ride.......... If only Intense would have called it 5 point 0 evp, it would be more accurate?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ronnie said:
With my bike hanging on my work stand and the shock fully inflated, I measured the hight of the rear axle from the floor.
Did you level the bike in the workstand? If the bike wasn't level (for example if the bike was hanging with the front lower than the rear), then you will not get an accurate measurement and the travel will appear to be less than it actually is. The reason is that the axle path will be tilted forward, so the axle will be moving more fore-aft and less up-down.

You will be off by a factor of the cosine of the angle that the bike is off from horizontal. For example, if the bike was 30 degress from horizontal, than the actual travel would be:

121mm/cos(30) = 139.7mm = 5.5"

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Intense false advertising?

If this is all true then Intense is guilty of false advertising their 5.5 (or should I say 4.5) I wouldn't be surprised, just measure your Fork any brand and compare the traval to the manufactures advertised claim. I have a Manitou Nixon with 133mm traval, Ronnie has only 139mm. Manitou claims the Nixon should have 145mm of traval. Hmm. What's next, Intense frames are made in China? Would you be surprised??? Let's hear from Intense or are they running for cover!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.