Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
gottjr said:
What is the typical weight of a 5.5 build set up for XC.....rp3 etc?
I've got a fairly heavy build coming in at 30 pounds. With good wheels, brakes, lighter rear shock, and maybe tossing in some chichi stuff you'll likely do pounds better.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
screamingforvengeance said:
I'd say thirty is a good weight,can get it lower if you're a super sick weight weenie.
Mine's 27#ish and I'm not a super sick weight weenie. Z1FR SL fork (the bulk of the weight savings), Crossmax XL UST wheelset (2.5/2.3 tires), Thomson post and stem, Maxm Isogrid bar, XT/XTR drivetrain, Atlas crankset.

p.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Paul B said:
Mine's 27#ish and I'm not a super sick weight weenie. Z1FR SL fork (the bulk of the weight savings), Crossmax XL UST wheelset (2.5/2.3 tires), Thomson post and stem, Maxm Isogrid bar, XT/XTR drivetrain, Atlas crankset.

p.
At 27lbs,I'd say you're a super duper sick weight weenie,and you just dont know it.I myself am a weight weenie,I know what weenies,and you sir a weight weenie.My 5.5 was 30ish,which I thought was way light,maybe I'm not a weight weenie after all,just a weenie.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
At 27lbs,I'd say you're a super duper sick weight weenie,and you just dont know it.I myself am a weight weenie,I know what weenies,and you sir a weight weenie.My 5.5 was 30ish,which I thought was way light,maybe I'm not a weight weenie after all,just a weenie.
Ouch. Call 'em as you see 'em, I guess. Sure rides nice, though (when it's not broken).

p.

·
Auto-x addict
281 Posts
Mine has a conservative build on it, and weighs 30 lbs. I'd like to take a pound off, by swicthing from Holzfellar cranks to Deus, but, I'm not going to spend $200 to replace something that's not broken. :p

·
Registered
291 Posts
Unless my LBS scale was off,my 5.5 was just over 30lbs,where did I go wrong here? I wouldn't think you could get this much lighter.I have a heavier seat,and a tube to protect from chain slap,but other than that i went light on everything.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Unless my LBS scale was off,my 5.5 was just over 30lbs,where did I go wrong here? I wouldn't think you could get this much lighter.I have a heavier seat,and a tube to protect from chain slap,but other than that i went light on everything.

Your shop scale is likely inaccurate - most scales are to an extent. I'd bet it could be 5-10% off.

It's hard to tell from your pics what some of your build is - it looks like good quality thoughout, without much emphasis on lightness. The only part on my bike that screams light is the carbon bar - but I run heavy wheels and brakes (for now).

Is the fork air or coil? How about the tires?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well...

I've had mine down into the 'mid 26's when it was first built, but now it sits at a hair over 28# with a Marzocchi boat-anchor (AM1 = 5lbs even, cut steerer) on the front. I wouldn't consider myself to be a weight-weenie, I just have a serious addiction.....

....but I do weigh all my parts!

;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder.....

if since I plan of switching all of my parts from my Spider if that means the bike built should only weight around a 1/2 pound higher then my current ride? I thought the weight difference (assuming same rear shock) was around 1/2 - 3/4 of a pound. If that is the case I should be sitting at ~26.5. Once I get it built up I will report back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The lightest I've seen with all carbon (bars, stem, seatpost, cranks, etc, etc) was 27 lbs. I couldn't see many other places to save weight after all this guy did to the bike. It was a $5k plus build up. ouch on the pocket...

·
BigBikeBoard
44 Posts
Less than 28 Ibs - no way.

Mine comes in at 29lb (weighed on post scales) with DT Hugi 240 wheelset, Full XTR and Formula SL brakes, carbon bars, WTB racing V saddle. OK Maverick DUC is heavier than some but its not too lardy.
26.5 lbs, your having a laugh.

28lbs minimum if you have big bucks or are a total weightweenie freak.

---------------------------------------------------------------
check out the BigBikeBoard

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I would say that less than 28lbs. is not to difficult. When I first built mine it was 28.3lbs. (Weighed at two different shops.)

Medium 5point5
Manitou Minute 3:00
Full XTR
Chris King headset
Thomson stem and post
Easton MonkeyLite with Intense ODI grips
Selle Italia Trans Am Gel Flow
Mavic XM819 rims on XTR hubs
Continental vertical Pro UST tyres (2.3)

The wheels are a bit heavy because I wanted them strong. You could loose quite a bit here. I have since bumped it up to 29.1lbs. by adding a Nixon Platinum, 203mm XT discs and a WTB Pure V saddle.

Ronnie.

Attachments

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
Seatpost clamp?

What brand seatpost clamp, Ronnie?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Fork was a coil, I had xtr everything,carbon bars and post, the headset was heavy ,the pedals super light for platforms.

I'm not saying you would want to but if one were so inclined...

You would probably lose a 1/2+ pound just by going to Eggbeaters instead of those platforms. Another 1/2 pound by switching to the RP3. Another 1/2 pound switch the fork to a RS Revelation. That looks like Speed V saddle so you could lose another 1/4 pound by going with a Laser V.

Yadda yadda yadda...spenda lotta moola...and you would be a certifiable weight weenie.
:D

Or you could just enjoy the nice ride that you have.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Pedal Bike said:
What brand seatpost clamp, Ronnie?
I got it when I was living in Switzerland. Made in Germany by Tune. They make some really cool stuff. Its all Titanium except the collar. They have a US distributor listed on the website.

Ronnie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts