Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden these two bikes? I've been thinking about a 5 spot, Flux and 5.5 and can't decide which route to go. I live in the Northeast where it is rocky, rooty, and lots of short steep hills. I always liked cross country riding with some serious rock gardens thrown in...which bike will be the best? Can anyone compare the three, particularly the 5 Spot and 5.5....thanks!

·
Lopen is sneller....
529 Posts
All are great bikes! Try and test ride them...my better half spent some time on the 5 Spot and on the 5.5. At the end she went with the 5 Spot...

She liked the overall handling better and could get a better deal on it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Test ride is needed.

5.5 owner. As above test ride (I didn't). I use my 5.5 for all day rides. It's a good bike and I'm glad I got it. Hired a 5-spot on a holiday to Moab and loved that too.

The 5-spot is more of a fun bike, a little like the old enduro (big smile factor).

The 5.5 is a little more on the edge which I like, it rewards nailing a corner with speed compared to other bikes with the same amount of travel. But kinda scares me at the same time. Love it.

Oh and intense recommends the red for "best top speed".

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had a 5.5 it was awesome,never rode a 5 spot,I would think the 5.5 would
be a better pedaler .Mba says its the best fs bike to get if your coming off a hardtail.
I had a 150mm frork on it ,and it took everything I threw at it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Owned both. Have much ride time on both.
The 5.5 is more XC oriented. It has a steeper HA, pedalls better (especially on middle & large ring while sprinting, this is a very fast bike), and the vpp suspension "flattens" the terrain better. You simply dont really feel whatever the rear wheel irons underneath it.
The 5 spot has better traction while climbing loose terrain on the granny gear. The 5.5's rear shock stiffens up and the rear wheel spins when you lay down the power. The 5 spot also feels more relaxed, maybe because of the little differance in HA.
Now for the "emotional" part......
Like someone said here, every ride on the 5 spot feels like a play ride. The bike brings out the best in you. The 5.5 on the other hand, does not instill confidense. It will play along if you have the guts & skill, but will not imply for you to take it on to the next level.

I think these are the main differances in character between the two. Turner is soon to be out with the TNT - non horst link rear suspension. I'm not sure how this will affect the ride. Those who have tried feel no differance, personally I find that a little hard to believe.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I have a 5 spot and like it very much. As far as the difference goes btw the HL and TNT you should read the reviews on the Turner forum. Many of the Homers have ridden with both the HL and TNT and have felt little difference. They didnt just test a TNT rear, but they switched the rears and then rode the same trails in the same day. There is some very good info over there on the Turner board just as there is here. Take a look at it and by the way, if you never rode the HL you will not be able to tell the difference anyway. Some say that the only difference that they really notice is that the TNT rear is stiffer (less flex) than the HL. Not that there was much flex with the HL to begin with. This is all hearsay since I havent had a chance to ride the TNT but will very soon.

Good Luck!!

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
screamingforvengeance said:
Had a 5.5 it was awesome,never rode a 5 spot,I would think the 5.5 would
be a better pedaler .Mba says its the best fs bike to get if your coming off a hardtail.
I had a 150mm frork on it ,and it took everything I threw at it.
"better coming off a hardtail..."? Once again MBA is "trying" to make a relevant statement.
Unfortunately this one is highly subjective and borders on idiocy!

5.5 is the standard for all "all-mountain bikes".

It's pretty simple. Test ride both bikes. Make your own choice.
If you decide to purchase the 5-Spot, I'll still wait for you at the top and bottom..... :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume you own the 5.5?...

Unfortunately I can't test ride either bike, no shops around me offer that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts