Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been covered please forgive me, I couldn't find it. Has anyone ridden both bikes? I've been struggling to decide between the 5 spot and Flux and just recently have been reading some about the Intense 5.5. It seems like the 5.5 is the perfect bridge between the 5 spot and Flux b/c it offers more travel than the flux but has a steeper head angle than the 5 spot. Can someone compare these bikes please. I live in the Northeast where the riding is rocky, rooty, steep and lots of single track. Thanks.
 

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
Joined
·
535 Posts
cc2 said:
If this has been covered please forgive me, I couldn't find it. Has anyone ridden both bikes? I've been struggling to decide between the 5 spot and Flux and just recently have been reading some about the Intense 5.5. It seems like the 5.5 is the perfect bridge between the 5 spot and Flux b/c it offers more travel than the flux but has a steeper head angle than the 5 spot. Can someone compare these bikes please. I live in the Northeast where the riding is rocky, rooty, steep and lots of single track. Thanks.
Are you looking for something that is more cross country oriented or something more trail oriented? I have ridden a Spider and it was a full tilt race rig. I have heard the 5.5 feels much more like a cross country rider than a trail bike. This seems like what Intense shoots for. More race oriented than the norm (for lack of better terms)

If you buy a 5.5 make sure you purchase the Push mono block linkage. Intense uses two links for the top tube pivot and it allows the rear to flex some and bind the bearings after time.

I had spent a lot of time thinking I wanted a steeper head tube angle and also looking at the Santa Cruz and Intense offerings. After a weekend recently on a 6 pack I decided to jump up to a heavier duty bike with a relaxed head tube angle..
 

·
I want that one
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
I rode a friend's 5.5 with the same a2c fork as on my spot. felt a lot more xc, even with a slightly heavier build than my spot.... so sounds like its what you're looking for.

that said, and since this is the turner board, you will never forgive yourself for not getting a spot, the king of 5" bikes!!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PSI, can you...

PSI said:
I rode a friend's 5.5 with the same a2c fork as on my spot. felt a lot more xc, even with a slightly heavier build than my spot.... so sounds like its what you're looking for.

that said, and since this is the turner board, you will never forgive yourself for not getting a spot, the king of 5" bikes!!! :)
Tell me the differences between the two bikes? Which felt better in the rocky, roooty, rock gardens, etc.? Which pedals better up hill? Thanks!
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
We rode one at Interbike last year. I agree with what the others said about the geometry making the bike feel more like a long-legged xc bike than a trailbike. It felt precise and quick, not really nervous. It also made the bike feel tall though, like you were sitting on top of it and not in it like you do with a longer, slacker slung bike. The comparison to the Flux is probably a good one. That said, I think those angles are not really appropriate to that sort of bike as I think the angles are just too steep once you get the bike into really demanding terrain (and this is also one of the only complaints you hear from 5.5 owners).

Unfortunately the demo bike we had had totally ruined shocks. The Minute fork was making a clunking and popping in the SPV unit that we could not cure. The action was terrible. The Swinger shock also felt like poo. We told the guys back at the Intense booth about the issues and they shrugged and handed the bike to the next guy. I came away with a somewhat negative impression of the bike largely due to the poorly performing suspension (again, due to the shocks). I liked the Spider I demoed for a day in Moab better, personally. Why exhibitors hand out crappy equipment at Interbike is just beyond me. It's like they don't care if you have a good experience on their models or not, they just want to keep them out on the trail. A totally self-defeating attitude imo. Note to exhibitors: STOP SPECCING MANITOU SUSPENSION ON DEMO BIKES!!!!!!!! Sorry, rant off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I just rode a Lg 5.5 yesterday. My 5 Spot is a XL so the riding position was off. The 5.5 has a Minute 3 and my Spot has an AMSL.

The trail I was riding is tight, twisty single track with no hills, a few rocks, and lots of wet roots. For this type of trail the 5.5 felt quicker. My 5 Spot handles the roots and rocks better but wasn't as fast in smooth, tight, twisty single track. I’m sure the difference in wheelbase (Lg vs. XL) and the fork (slacker head angle) were contributing factors.

My comparison is not completely fair because of the differences but in the end I know I would take the Spot over the 5.5 because it’s the best trail bike for my riding style and conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Well I've owned both and agree completely with tscheezy the 5.5 is a great, fast, long travel xc bike but once it gets into very steep DH trails the steeper HA just doesn't work for me. Rolling singletrack is it's home not steep techy trails imo.

The 5 Spot on the other hand is a much more rounded trail bike, yes it can do the fast xc stuff with a lighter build but it's also able to be built up as a super tough trail bike which has better traction in loose terrain and is more responsive/supple over the rougher DH trails too.

Both are fine bikes but with slightly different design philosophies behind them imo.

Me? I ride a Pack :)
 

·
I want that one
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
cc2 said:
Tell me the differences between the two bikes? Which felt better in the rocky, roooty, rock gardens, etc.? Which pedals better up hill? Thanks!
oh man those are real personal questions... you got to try-before-you-buy.

at the risk of being flamed for quoting RC here's what he says on the issue (got to admit the guy has a way with words)
 

Attachments

·
I want that one
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
one more idea

if you want the perfect compromise between a flux and spot why not get a flux with a talas 80-130 fork? that way you'll get a light xc/trail bike, with turner suspension, 70-71 HL going up and 69-68 going down. i dont know, but i'm pretty sure its built for 3-4 foot drops as well.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Do a search for comments by PizzaMan. He had a 5-Spot and then a 5.5. After the 5.5 he moved on to a Moment. He did not like the suspension stiffening and loss of traction in the rough stuff from the VPP on the 5.5. That said, I think he is considering a 6.6 as the bike du jour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any other comments would be great....

tscheezy said:
Do a search for comments by PizzaMan. He had a 5-Spot and then a 5.5. After the 5.5 he moved on to a Moment. He did not like the suspension stiffening and loss of traction in the rough stuff from the VPP on the 5.5. That said, I think he is considering a 6.6 as the bike du jour.
...but thanks so much for all of the feedback, it's very helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tscheezy

What are you riding? I see your posts all over - do you ride all winter in Alaska?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top