Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Darren at Push. He has been working on a longer travel rocker that keeps the stock frame geometry combined with a 2.25" stroke shock. This kit is in the final stages of life but he would not tell me when he would start shipping them as he is a smart guy and in manufacturing quoting a ship date is akin to lunacy. I have supplied all the info he has needed over the last few months and to my knowledge the PR3 equipped kit will be lighter than the DHX Air equipped stock bike with a lower leverage ratio. Bling bling!

The response to my Sunday evening note about a 6 Spot has been very impressive so I think that many will be in line for the 5.5 Spot. With Push's working on supplying this setup we will be sending your requests on to Darren.

DT

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
So is this akin to the Burner with XR rockers plus a 1.75" Vanilla RC? :D
The 5 Spot just got a whole lot more fun it seems.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I thought thatn I had finished upgrading my Spot yesterday when,I took the Nixon off and put a Pike air on, looks like I will have to rethink my Christmas present list.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
turnerbikes said:
I just got off the phone with Darren at Push. He has been working on a longer travel rocker that keeps the stock frame geometry combined with a 2.25" stroke shock. This kit is in the final stages of life but he would not tell me when he would start shipping them as he is a smart guy and in manufacturing quoting a ship date is akin to lunacy. I have supplied all the info he has needed over the last few months and to my knowledge the PR3 equipped kit will be lighter than the DHX Air equipped stock bike with a lower leverage ratio. Bling bling!

The response to my Sunday evening note about a 6 Spot has been very impressive so I think that many will be in line for the 5.5 Spot. With Push's working on supplying this setup we will be sending your requests on to Darren.

DT
Very interesting....

Would this be an option for a new frame or simply an uprade to existing frames?

In other words could you buy a new 5.5 Spot frame straight from a dealer or PUSH itself?

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
It sounds spendy but cool....

turnerbikes said:

DT
I wonder if Darren could come up with a rear end that is HL insteed of TNT :)

You would need the rocker and a new shock I bet. Interesting.

Jaybo

PS Tony Ellsworth Sucks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Rear Derailleur Stop.......

turnerbikes said:

DT

I wonder if the rear tire will hit the rear derailluer stop on the older 5 Spots? And for just a 1/2" ? Must be something special.......

SB

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
...I think I would rather have the 5.5" rocker/ Shock upgrade for the Pack (RFX). 2 years ago when I first started talking to DT about a frame, the RFX was no longer available...and the Pack was still in conception mode. I described my "perfect" frame as being essentially the five spot geometry with the Pack tubing. I love my Spot, but admittedly there are things I won't ride becuz I'm afraid of destroying it. I am tempted by the 5 Pack....however, that would still end up with slightly different geometry. The leverage on the shock for the RFX is close to being too high IMHO & I would love to see that frame accomodate a longer stroke shock. A 5 Spot w/ RFX style tubing (front triangle) is still my conceptual dream bike :D

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
turnerbikes said:

DT
How will that work with the 5.3" spot that you were / are shipping with the RP3 / DHX? Is it just an additional 0.2" or will there be something gained by the lower leverage ratio?

I thought the 5.3" Spot with the RP3 / DHx was perfectly tuned for the 2" shock.

It does sound interesting, but what are the advantages?

Oooooo... More upgrades. I love it. First the RP3 to replace the Romic.... then the longer rockers to better accomodate the RP3. Now the Push mod. My wife's gonna have a fit ..... or she'll be happy that I gave her a suggestion for a Christmas present :D

I hope DT or Darren gives us more info.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The problem that I see is that a 7.875" i2i shock will probably not fit inside the front triangles of small and medium sized frames. Not sure how Darren would get around that, but I'm curious. The lower leverage sounds cool for bigger riders. Barny on the other hand needs higher leverage pretty bad since she only weighs 125#... I may get my RP3 Pushed and give it to her like Skullcrack did for Ms Harping.

If you are an average weight rider and already have the newer 5.3 rockers, the diff sounds kinda minimal. No matter, knowing this upgrade-rabid crowd, 6-Pack owners will probably be installing the 5.5 rockers too! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Man this place is becoming mod central
And I'm loving it!:D
Ok.. I am getting confused... this will give the 5 spot 5.5" with this new mod correct? what about the people that have the longer rockers I thought that those rockers were supposed to yield 5.3" so it seems like its only 2 tenths of an inch - what am i missing here? even if it uses a different length shock is the amount of money this will cost really gonna be worth it? your talking new rockers & what ever else may be needed & different shock (if it is using a different size) thats a big price for hardly any difference

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
tscheezy said:
The problem that I see is that a 7.875" i2i shock will probably not fit inside the front triangles of small and medium sized frames. Not sure how Darren would get around that, but I'm curious.
Perhaps the new rockers put the shock at a more obtuse angle compared to the seat tube (in other words, upper shock eyelet moves closer to the head tube).

Oh god, am I wearing a pocket protector? :( :eek:

Anyways, this would potentially create more room for a longer stroke shock and also mean a more progressive spring curve, both good things for a 5.5spot imho.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew, that was close!!! :eek:

When I first saw the post I thought DT was giving up the goat and post regarding the monocoque construciton, machined and polished bearing race plates, Ti fasteners, and adjustable bb and rate.

And the shock......... :eek:

ps. Per DT's request, we'll be offering a "Signature DT Series Pink Camo Edition"

Darren

1 - 20 of 101 Posts