Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what size 5.5 to get. I'm 6 feet tall even and weigh 188 pounds. Inseam is 32, so my torso longer than my legs, giving me a longer reach. Intense suggests medium is up to 6 feet and large is 6 feet and over...wtf?
Currently I ride a large Superlight, with a laid back Thompson seattube.

Thinking a medium might crunch me too much and am leaning to a large.

Any comparative body types?

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
mascifm said:
I'm trying to figure out what size 5.5 to get. I'm 6 feet tall even and weigh 188 pounds. Inseam is 32, so my torso longer than my legs, giving me a longer reach. Intense suggests medium is up to 6 feet and large is 6 feet and over...wtf?

I'm 5-9, and ride a medium. If I was 3 inches taller, I'd definately be on a large.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam and long arms. I feel completely scrunched on a medium.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm with you, 6'-0" with a 34" inseam, on a medium tracer for five years. I had my seat almost all the way back on its rails, along with a setback post, and probably 1" worth of spacers beneath my 110 mm stem. Even though the ride was incredible, everything was telling me to go large this time.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I am 5' 11", 190 lbs, with a 32" inseam. I ride a medium 5.5 with a 90mm stem. I love it, and wouldn't change a thing even if I could do so for free. It depends on how you like to ride. I grew up racing BMX bikes, and even though I am 38 yo, I still ride mountain bikes somewhat aggressively. If you're just a climber, get a large.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys, thanks for your collective inputs...but I'm still no closer to which way to go! Guess I've got find a place to demo.
Either way, I'll be joining you this spring as a happy 5.5 rider.

Psyched!

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Considering what you're used to, a large may be better. It sounds like you may already be used to large bikes. Personally, I prefer smaller bikes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
5.5 Sizing

i'm also in the same situation about the sizing for my 5.5, i'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam. I test rode a Med Blur LT for 3 days and a Med Spider for a day they both seemed excellent. I've ordered a Med 5.5, but the more i read the more i doubt my selection. This is my first full susser so i'm looking for the perfect set up, with sag, standover ht, tt reach etc. I want a bike i can ride aggressively climbing and descending so hopefully i've made the right decision. My stem will be 100mm x4 Thompson, seat post also Thompson set back, i'm concerned about the comments made by the guys about feeling scrunched!

·
ride
5,274 Posts
doogie said:
i'm also in the same situation about the sizing for my 5.5, i'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam. I test rode a Med Blur LT for 3 days and a Med Spider for a day they both seemed excellent. I've ordered a Med 5.5, but the more i read the more i doubt my selection. This is my first full susser so i'm looking for the perfect set up, with sag, standover ht, tt reach etc. I want a bike i can ride aggressively climbing and descending so hopefully i've made the right decision. My stem will be 100mm x4 Thompson, seat post also Thompson set back, i'm concerned about the comments made by the guys about feeling scrunched!
I used to ride a medium Tracer. I got the medium because I wanted something quicker and more agile for xc racing. I liked it, but I showed a ton of post and felt a little scrunched. I'm now on a large 6.6 and have spent some time on large Spiders. For me anyway, the fit is much better with a large. I could probably go either way, but I prefer to be a bit more stretched out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Probably large...

mascifm said:

I am 5-11", 31 inseam. Medium 5.5, 130 stem, FSA setback post. If you like a stem shorter than 130 I think you should lean towards the large. You might also want to think about a coil shock or even a 6.6 if you're going to be hitting any drops over 3ft.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
fourarm said:
I am 5-11", 31 inseam. Medium 5.5, 130 stem, FSA setback post. If you like a stem shorter than 130 I think you should lean towards the large. You might also want to think about a coil shock or even a 6.6 if you're going to be hitting any drops over 3ft.
" If you like a stem shorter than 130 I think you should lean towards the large."
This wording is confusing at best.
Any stem longer than 100mm, and it steers like I'm grabbing the top of the steering wheel on a bus!

By the way, I think the air shock works great on 4+ foot drops on my 5.5. However, I've been riding for a while (I'm 38, and I started racing BMX at 11), and so I don't land like a trashcan full of bricks. Nonetheless, if I'm going to be doing bigger drops, I'll probably be on my VPX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
5.5 Sizing

In reading this post a couple of things came to mind about sizing. Like someone else said here, I like the feeling of a smaller bike. Not really a bmx background for me but small jumps and really techincal riding and racing that got me used to smaller feeling bikes.I too are on the edge of med and large.I currently have a hardtail and a full suspension that are 24" long in the tt. Im not sure what the seat tube length is on the med 5.5, 18? and the large 20" but me current thinking is that perhaps I could ride the med with a setback post and a 120 stem. I rode a med spider and a large 5.5. and they both felt good. Maybe a touch short on the spider. But would the different post and stem make the difference? Im not sure what the setback post does as far as distance or weightshift goes. If a longer stem slows the steering on a 5.5 and that is desired for some riders, is that a option. It may be worth experimenting. The difference between 120mm and 110mm stem is almost half an inch i believe and that may make a huge difference in handling to some, maybe in a good way if it takes some of the twitchy feeling away that some complain about.Anyway if you can get a chance to ride one for half a day with a good mix of trails I would bet you can get a great idea of what you will like better.Just dont forget to factor in the type of riding you will most likely be doing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cheers,
I agree about the feeling of the bike. I too like the smaller bike for its agility and handling. My riding style seems to be similar, with small drops and plenty of technical singletrack. I believe the seat post length is 19" on a med 5.5, and that seems to me to be about right. You don't happen to know Clive or Stu 2 do you? Stem length i feel is important for handling but then each to his own, however i've never owned a set back seat post so as far as the full susser and seat post its all new to me. The test rides i previously had on the Spider and Blur LT were great as far as introducing me to all out trail riding and that is what convinced me towards the 5.5. I'm going ahead with the Medium. Thanks for your input as i feel its important to get other peoples opinion. "Keep the Trails alive":thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm 5'11.5" , 32" inseam, 165lbs, and I have a Medium. It is too cramped for me, and I would trade it for a Large if I could. Unfortunately, it's got a small dent in the rear triangle. Anyone interested?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts