Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not keep the rear disk aligned I install the weel proper on the ground thighten the skewer as good as possible, then align the break with feeler gauges to be very well centerred brake a few times al great ride, a bit still great, hammer once or twice and the brake starts dragging on climbs. Once I nocticed that the wheel bearing had play fixed that. The problem remais. I am using Juicy seven crossmax xl. I wish I had a thru axle.

any tips?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Have you shortened your brake lines?

If you've shortened the housing and not bled the brake correctly it can cause the brake to rub.........for instance too much fluid will not allow the pistons to retract completely which can cause a constant rub. You said you've tightened the rear hub........I've seen some of these things(mavics) repeatedly work loose. You might want to take some clear fingernail polish and dab just a bit on the axle between the lockring and the removeable axle cap, this will keep it from working loose in the future. If your caliper is dirty the pistons can get contaminated and not retract fully either, remove the brake pads and the rear wheel, squeeze the brake slightly so as to force the pistons to be exposed(but not too far where they pop out of the caliper). Take a little foaming simple green (prefferably the kind in a spray can) and spary the exposed surface of the pistons then wipe clean with a paper towel. Follow these steps again but this time put a single drop of chain lube on the exposed piston and using a flat blade screw driver(gently) push the pistons back in the caliper, repeat this 2 or three times. Reinstall your brake pads and wheel and you should be able to fell a difference..... assuming they were dirty to begin with. Ride On-

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thank you for the tips I will have to check on the fluid level. Yes you right the mavics work loose quite often, I think I will add a nylon tiped set screw to lock it I used blue loctite and it was ok for a while now it was loose again. It seems that the wheel shifts due to the high torque I am generating ( just kidding) however the wheel seems to be off center after granny gear climbs and sprints. Is there a special skewer that can help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Festusjrf said:
Thank you for the tips I will have to check on the fluid level. Yes you right the mavics work loose quite often, I think I will add a nylon tiped set screw to lock it I used blue loctite and it was ok for a while now it was loose again. It seems that the wheel shifts due to the high torque I am generating ( just kidding) however the wheel seems to be off center after granny gear climbs and sprints. Is there a special skewer that can help?

Thanks
I am using a bolt on skewer to allow for more torque, not sure what brand it is, basically you have a long bolt and a threaded QR nut just like standard except you use a 5mm allen to tighten the wheel instead of the lever.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
I had the same problem on my Tracer

It ended up being a main pivot bearing that would shift sometimes and the brake pad would rub. I couldn't tell until I heard a noise(clicking) and checked out the rear and found the play. I replaced the bearings and it never happened again.
I guess it twisted the stay under load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.