Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about moving up from my Superlight to a 5.5. I was going to use most of the parts from my Santa Cruz and wanted to kn ow if these parts will work, and work well with the 5.5? Also which of the rear shocks is the best to go withthe fork I have?
Fox F100 RLT 100mm
Full Shimano XTR
Easton Monkey Light Carbon Bars & Carbon Seatpost
Mavic CrossMax SL UST with Panaracer Fire 2.1's
Chris King no Thread HeadSet

Probably going to dump my old XT discs and go for the El Camino's

So will most of these parts work on the 5.5?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I dropped the 100RLT...

And went with the Talas 130mm would the rest of my spec be OK, I'm concerned about using the older XTR, does that pose any problems on a 5.5?
Do the Fox forks still hit the frame on the mediums?
Does the Fox rear shock work well with the Talas?
Are the CrossMax SL wheels with 2.1 tires OK on this frame?

Thanks for all of the advice

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The 5point5 figures on the Intense website are based on the Manitou Minute which has an axle to crown height of 505mm. The 130mm Fox Forx have a slightly lower axle to crown of 500mm. I found the Minute to give the bike a bit of a race bike like feel and I didn't want to go shorter, so I would say definitely not a 100mm fork. I in fact put on a Nixon at 518mm and find it the perfect fork for my bike. That said, a lot of guys seem to be happy with the TALAS. From what I have read it does just scrape the frame though.

I do not think you would have any problem with useing your older XTR and the rest of your stuff looks great.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
21 Posts
About the Talas

I have the Talas R on my large frame, with the Stratos ID upgrade that includes a higher rebound knob and it doesn't hit the frame. But Ronnie knows more about the small/medium frame problem.

I fit 2.1 Hutchinson Spiders on my crossland wheelset. They run a very large 2.1, and fit with just enough clearance for my muddy NWest conditions. I think you'd be okay with any other 2.1.

I know just how you are doing right now. I upgraded to a 5.5 in Feb. Enjoy the ride!

·
Land shark deployed......
48 Posts
Old XTR is fine.......

I'm using 1998 Xtr and it still works great. I did have to upgrade the front derailer to a 960 since the tube diameter was different than my old bike. I later went to the rapid rise 960 rear derailer and it absolutely rocks.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
TALAS & medium 5.5

I got the 05 TALAS RLC on my medium 5.5
The knobs are cleared from hitting the down tube (with King headset)
I'm pretty happy with the TALAS/RP3/PUSH upper link combo
By the way, I think old XT disc (4 piston) is a keeper
I made a mistake by selling old XT for Mono minis...
Now I got Marta SLs, but, still not as powerful as XTs

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
sergei91 said:
I'm thinking about moving up from my Superlight to a 5.5. I was going to use most of the parts from my Santa Cruz and wanted to kn ow if these parts will work, and work well with the 5.5? Also which of the rear shocks is the best to go withthe fork I have?
Fox F100 RLT 100mm
Full Shimano XTR
Easton Monkey Light Carbon Bars & Carbon Seatpost
Mavic CrossMax SL UST with Panaracer Fire 2.1's
Chris King no Thread HeadSet

Probably going to dump my old XT discs and go for the El Camino's

So will most of these parts work on the 5.5?
I think I would feel like I had to hold back too much if my 5.5 had as light a wheel set as the Xmax SL's. The standard Xmax's would probably be fine, I run XM 819's with King hubs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.