Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else had this problem. I had the bolt that holds the pivot and bearing assembly break in half. It is the silver bolt in the picture. as you can see it isn't sitting flush. I have it in there just to hold everything in place. The bike is new and has been ridden every sat and sunday for the last 2 months. I checked all the pivot bolts before i went out for a ride and the bolt kept spinning while i was tightening it ...I pulled it out and it was snapped.

Is this a common problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
johnnyp said:
Has anyone else had this problem. I had the bolt that holds the pivot and bearing assembly break in half. It is the silver bolt in the picture. as you can see it isn't sitting flush. I have it in there just to hold everything in place. The bike is new and has been ridden every sat and sunday for the last 2 months. I checked all the pivot bolts before i went out for a ride and the bolt kept spinning while i was tightening it ...I pulled it out and it was snapped.

Is this a common problem?
Common? No, but it happens. I overtightened my bolt once and I also had it break. It is a pretty standard metric bolt which you can get at any fastener supply shop. You can also get the original from Competitive Cyclist but that comes with the black end caps and is a bit expensive. A possible cause for the bolt breaking is not enough air pressure and bottoming out hard.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. My bike shop is sending me the replacement parts. I will make sure don't over tighten it and that my shock has enough pressure. I'm 165lbs and i usually keep 155psi in my Fox RP23.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
johnnyp said:
Thanks for the info. My bike shop is sending me the replacement parts. I will make sure don't over tighten it and that my shock has enough pressure. I'm 165lbs and i usually keep 155psi in my Fox RP23.
I don't have any experience with the RP23 so I can't tell if you are using the right pressure. Some manufacturers tell you to start with your body weight but that is just a guide. You want to set the pressure so that the bike sags 25-30% of it's travel when you are seated in a riding position. Also as it is a new shock it will tend to loosen up and sag more as it gets broken in. What was the right pressure at first may not be enough now. Keep checking the sag until it stabilizes.

Ronnie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.