Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding the 5.5s HA a bit too steep and fast steering for my liking and cornering style.
I'm considering putting the 7mm Ventana Plus crown race on to kick the front out a bit and hopefully slow the steering down just a hair (I do not want to change stem length).
What do you guys think? Will 7mm (or even 4mm) make a perceptible difference?

THANKS!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
What fork have you got on there? What is the axle to crown? 7mm. is only about a ¼" and I don't believe it will make much difference. I originally had a 130mm. Manitou Minute fork on my 5point5 and changed it for a 145mm. Nixon which has 518mm. axle to crown and feels great.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ride a 5.5 with a Pike, I felt (still feel) that the HT is steeper than I'd like. I installed a Vantana 7mm crown race and felt the difference. It's still steep, but it's a little better. In my opinion it's worth doing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ronnie - what's up? We corresponded via em about stems.
I have a fox 32 talas rlc, 140mm. Measured this a.m. and it's right at 518 also.

WB - I spoke w/ Teresa at Ventana and she asked someone else and HE said the 7mm slackens it 1/4* +/-. I'm hoping between that and slightly increasing the rear sag I can get the equiv of about 1* which I think will greatly help me. I'm ordering one right now based on your opinion......THANKS

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
gsomtb said:
Ronnie - what's up? We corresponded via em about stems.
I have a fox 32 talas rlc, 140mm. Measured this a.m. and it's right at 518 also.
Right, sorry I didn't recognize your handle as you used your name.

I remember when I first got my bike Fox only had a 120mm. TALAS with an A to C of 500mm. I had a big debate with myself about what fork to get. I remember the figures well. I decided to go with the Manitou Minute with 130mm. and slightly longer A to C of 505mm. The Minute was the fork Intense designed the bike for. As I said I found it a bit steep like that and changing to the Nixon did it for me. I personally wouldn't want it slacker.

Have a great 4th of July!:D

Ronnie.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Something else to consider. Yes, the tall race will help a fraction of a degree, but if you're running too much sag in your fork, you could be giving up a lot. Try running more air in your fork to bring up the front end. The could dramatically help your situation.

I frequently go back and forth between an M3, an SS, and my 5.5, and I love the precision steering the 5.5 offers. Depending on conditions, it's the best steering of the bunch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive only had my 5.5 a matter of weeks and have just come back from a weekend of riding some killer trails and am finding just the same i run a small frame with pikes a cane creek plus5 headset and a 2mm spacer so my dials don't catch on my downtube,so my headangle should be sorted, however i seem to be geting a fair amount of brake jack aproaching corners and on steep technical decents.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
MOZWAFC said:
Ive only had my 5.5 a matter of weeks and have just come back from a weekend of riding some killer trails and am finding just the same i run a small frame with pikes a cane creek plus5 headset and a 2mm spacer so my dials don't catch on my downtube,so my headangle should be sorted, however i seem to be geting a fair amount of brake jack aproaching corners and on steep technical decents.
Brake jack or fork dive? These are often misdiagnosed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the minute 4 fork, 130 with IT...

and that helps a bit with the HA but I also have the speedball seat post and so i guess this must help going down the steeps as well?? It sure feels like it helps. Of course it ain't cheap but man do i love it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I thought the HA was a tad steep until I found that the bike turns the moment my brain thinks I should. This is a benefit, especially if you can control fork dive you're at a major advantage on climbs and twisty single track.

If you often descend sections that that make you crap your pants, maybe the the BLT2 or even the 6.6 is better suited for you.

A caveat - I think the 70* HA is and old measurement with a 130 mm fork. A 140 puts it at 69.5*, similar to the BLT.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used to run a Marz' Z1 Drop-off 130mm on my 5.5. It was the older Z1 (2003) with the big beefy crown so was a good inch taller than a 125mm Talas of the same era.

I found that the steering was perfect with this fork and a 90mm stem. I reckon a modern 140mm fork will feel around the same.

Incidentally, I replaced my 5.5 with a 6.6 with 36 TALAS on the front and I'm loving it. Quite a lightish build, not really missing any climbing ability, just a little extra weight to drag up the hill.... but, the descending and jumping ability is far superior.

I do miss the real XC feel of the 5.5 sometimes though, but not enough to get another one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.