Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the scoop on the 5.5 cockpit set-up? I know this is all going to be very specific to each rider's preferences but when the 5.5 first was introduced I think I remember that it was common-thinking to run a low-rise (or 0 degree rise) stem with no (or few) headset spacers to keep the cockpit relatively lower. This was due to the longish headtube and 'tall' feeling front end. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on this?
BTW, I'm thinking about a 5.5 as my next steed-
THX-

·
Registered
55 Posts
altaskier said:
What's the scoop on the 5.5 cockpit set-up? I know this is all going to be very specific to each rider's preferences but when the 5.5 first was introduced I think I remember that it was common-thinking to run a low-rise (or 0 degree rise) stem with no (or few) headset spacers to keep the cockpit relatively lower. This was due to the longish headtube and 'tall' feeling front end. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on this?
BTW, I'm thinking about a 5.5 as my next steed-
THX-
Don't know where you got that info. The 5.5 is rather steep for a trail bike to begin with. I have a 10 degree 110 m"m stem on a med 5.5, and a med rise bar, using about an inch of spacers. The fork is Talas (<=130). I'm 5'10" and yet considering a higher rise bar. IMO go higher unless you are a dedicated XCer.

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
I had a similar setup to copello when I built mine up, but with a 90mmX5* thomson. I had trouble keeping the front end down on climbs until I swapped the spacers to the top of the stem.
I now run one 7mm spacer under the stem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly-

This is what I was talking about. VpointVick had to lower his cockpit set-up to keep the front wheel down on climbs. Maybe his case is just a coincidence but that is exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for the info-

VpointVick said:
I had a similar setup to copello when I built mine up, but with a 90mmX5* thomson. I had trouble keeping the front end down on climbs until I swapped the spacers to the top of the stem.
I now run one 7mm spacer under the stem.

·
Auto-x addict
282 Posts
altaskier said:
This is what I was talking about. VpointVick had to lower his cockpit set-up to keep the front wheel down on climbs. Maybe his case is just a coincidence but that is exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for the info-
Alot of it was adapting my riding style, and getting used to it.
I still prefer to keep the stem fairly low, but I now have no trouble at all keeping the front wheel down.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I remember That Thread

About 14 months ago or so, the discussion was around those that claimed you should not use riser bars on the 5.5. Interesting. I couldn't imagine the bike without risers. I forget what the logic was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
still prefer taller..

I think it's a matter of how you ride and what you want from your bike. Sure, a lower stem and bar sitting lower on your head tube will give you a more aggressive position to tackle ascents and help you keep your front wheel down and all that, but... you pay in comfort, and IMO in fun. I personally don't race, ride almost every day some 15 miles and once a week a longer trail. I find the upright position easy on the back and dominant on the trail. My buddies always claim that It seems like I'm sitting on a couch while on my 5.5, and it actually does feel quite comfortable with the taller setup.
That's another point of view for you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good stuff-

That's good feedback as well. I'm not looking to race I just want to make sure my front wheel isn't going to wonder all over the place while climbing. It sounds like those rumors were pretty unfounded though so that's good news for me! Thanks for the info-

copello said:
I think it's a matter of how you ride and what you want from your bike. Sure, a lower stem and bar sitting lower on your head tube will give you a more aggressive position to tackle ascents and help you keep your front wheel down and all that, but... you pay in comfort, and IMO in fun. I personally don't race, ride almost every day some 15 miles and once a week a longer trail. I find the upright position easy on the back and dominant on the trail. My buddies always claim that It seems like I'm sitting on a couch while on my 5.5, and it actually does feel quite comfortable with the taller setup.
That's another point of view for you.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
altaskier said:
That's good feedback as well. I'm not looking to race I just want to make sure my front wheel isn't going to wonder all over the place while climbing. It sounds like those rumors were pretty unfounded though so that's good news for me! Thanks for the info-
I think this got started from the first review of the bike in MBA. It stated that Jeff set the bike up without a riser or a 0 rise stem to keep the wheel down when climbing. I can't remember what fork was on the bike in the review, but that may have been the cause.

·
Auto-x addict
282 Posts
Quattro said:
I think this got started from the first review of the bike in MBA. It stated that Jeff set the bike up without a riser or a 0 rise stem to keep the wheel down when climbing. I can't remember what fork was on the bike in the review, but that may have been the cause.
It was a Minute 1.

It was mostly an adjustment process for me. I did have trouble keeping the front down on steeps, but, I was coming off of an entry-level hardtail with an 800mm fork. Next to that, the 5.5 rode very differently indeed!

I don't know what RC's problem is, but then, who does? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.