Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new 5.5, just got it in November.

Twice now, I've had problems with the cable housing that goes from the top-tube to the seat-stay. In both cases the wires that run inside the housing have come out of the end. First time it totally destroyed the ferrel, this time I haven't had a good chance to inspect what happened, but the ferrel seems to be more intact (which is wierd in itself, as I don't even know how the wires could stick out if the ferrel is intact.)

I assume this is a result of the constant pressure created by movement through the suspension travel, but I've never had the issue on another bike.

Anyone ever had anything like this? Design flaw? Bad batch of housing? wrong length of housing? Other ideas?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll use this information to see if it leads to a solution. I'll report back if it does.

There is some bend in the cable housing when the bike is at rest (zero sag), and of course it bends quite a bit more as I sit on the bike or work through the travel. My guess is that either you are all correct, or it's a bad batch of housing. (If it's a length issue, I'm a bit suprised nobody else has had the same issue....

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I don't have the same bike, but I've got the same problem and it is in the cable segment that goes from the TT to the seat stay. Contrary to common wisdom I used a piece of spiral wound housing that I believe is for brakes. It's not compressionless, but it's short enough that the shifting is not affected at all. And of course there are no wires to poke out the ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.