Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a 5.5 Large and am really salivating . . .
I would appreciate help on nailing the spec
Though I have been riding a long while, talk to other riders and read the mags, I don't think I will ever have the parts experience that many of you in these forums have-- just haven't swapped out enough parts. Lend me your wisdom please.
I am heavier rider but not super aggressive
Ride mostly intermediate terrain with some single and some hard stuff
I am stumped on rims in particular

Could the build be under 28 Lbs?

Some Starting Ideas:

RP3
Float
Avid Juicy
XT Der's
King Hubs?

What do you think about:

SRAM (CF Der? looks cool-- does it work?)
Hayes vs. Avid?
Push Mod (without the shock mod-- seems expensive with)

I am not real enthused about using CF bars or post . . . any ideas on other light components that work and don't break? Which Riser bar do you all like with the 5.5?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't worry too much about the wheel weight

I'm a large 5.5 owner who appears to ride the same style as you. For me, a large part of the appeal of the 5.5 was the relative low weight. Yet, I weigh in at 220, naked, dry and hungry, and I have taco'd or pulled spokes on my previous rides.

So, I decided I didn't want to deal with wheel/rim problems and sacrificed the weight. I went with Dave's Custom Speeddream wheels, a tubeless bontrager mustang rim with CK hubs. They are a little heavier than standard. I tried to save some weight elsewhere (like the cleaner XO shorty gripshifters) - my bike came in at 29lbs.

But, here is my point (yes, I have one): the design of the 5.5 - particularly the VPP technology and the frame mold make the bike very nimble. The power transfer is quick and the steering, cornering, lifting and landing are precise and responsive. My suspension set-up may help me with that (Talas with Stratos ID and RP3 with Push mono-link), but based on other comments in these forums, I tend to think it is the design as a whole.

Therefore, my advice to you would be to get a sturdy wheelset, something durable and strong so you don't have to worry about ruining your ride, and let the bike's technology do the rest of the work. I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the guidance!

Do you remember how much your wheelset weighs?

The cool part about the heavier sturdies wheels is that they are als cheaper.

As my research continues, I was thinking of asking my LBS to build me a set based on Mavic XM 819s . . . but I need to understand the price. I have seen a lot of good press on the CK hubs, but isn't XT cheaper? I have been running XT hubs for yrs on my current ride.

Thks again, more comments welcome.

akjhome said:
I'm a large 5.5 owner who appears to ride the same style as you. For me, a large part of the appeal of the 5.5 was the relative low weight. Yet, I weigh in at 220, naked, dry and hungry, and I have taco'd or pulled spokes on my previous rides.

So, I decided I didn't want to deal with wheel/rim problems and sacrificed the weight. I went with Dave's Custom Speeddream wheels, a tubeless bontrager mustang rim with CK hubs. They are a little heavier than standard. I tried to save some weight elsewhere (like the cleaner XO shorty gripshifters) - my bike came in at 29lbs.

But, here is my point (yes, I have one): the design of the 5.5 - particularly the VPP technology and the frame mold make the bike very nimble. The power transfer is quick and the steering, cornering, lifting and landing are precise and responsive. My suspension set-up may help me with that (Talas with Stratos ID and RP3 with Push mono-link), but based on other comments in these forums, I tend to think it is the design as a whole.

Therefore, my advice to you would be to get a sturdy wheelset, something durable and strong so you don't have to worry about ruining your ride, and let the bike's technology do the rest of the work. I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey,

I don't remember the exact weight, but I know I went over 1k grams. Again, I don't even think about them and the bike pedals very fast.

Overall, it seems like you are struggling with the pricing. So, I'd say if the XTs are cheaper than the CK hubs (I'd assume they are), go for it. Especially if they worked on your last bike without problems.

You'll love the bike. No matter what.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am just over 200, was 225 when I got my bike but I am working on that. Anyway I went with the Mavic Crossmax on my large 5.5. The wheels are nice but the hubs are somewhat problematic. I really wish I would have gone with the CK and Mavic 819. I really like tubeless. The CK hubs are really spendy but supposedly infinitely rebuildable. They also seem to have a very good reputation for a very good service department. They are hugely expensive though. My large 5.5 is right at 28lbs. I have an Easton seat post and am riding the FSA carbon handle bars. I also went with a SRAM X.O der. and loooove it. I also went with the X-9 thumb shifters and I really like those as well. The SRAM stuff might not shift quite as fast as Shimano but it has a way more solid feel and works even when really gummed up. I love my SRAM stuff. I would also add the PUSH Mono link. It really helps the tighten up the feel of the back end and think this should really help the pivot bolts and shock bushings lead a longer life. We will see about the durability but it does really tighten up the ride.

Hope this helps,
Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.