Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
greedy
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 31.8 diameter Thomson seatpost that came out of my Intense 5.5 which according to its geo chart should take a 31.6. I bought the bike at my LBS, new and already built up. A buddy of mine just bought a Mojo with a Joplin and wanted to borrow my Thomson because he doesn't do adjustable posts. So, who knows the story on the 31.8 Thomson posts and why will it fit my 5.5 and not his Mojo. I've searched MTBR and the web and it is like they shouldn't exist. I did see one on ebay (250666040263) and the listing says that they were rare and made for certain bikes. Just curious if anyone has seen this. Thanks.

·
greedy
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, mine says 31.8 on the post and I saw on the Thomson site that 31.8s were not listed. It is a couple of years old, so maybe it was something they were doing then.

·
greedy
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kntr said:
Post a pic of where is says 31.8.
My friend with the Ibis still has it. I'll probably get it back tomorrow. I guess what I was asking is if this post would be the right Thomson for a 31.6 seat tube. It starts pretty easily, but will not insert easily more that an inch or so. We did not have grease at the time (at trailhead), but now it doesn't seem like a good idea to go craming a oversized seatpost into a carbon frame without doing a little research.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts