Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
assuming i can find a 5.25" linkage for my '02 SB, is it really worth the .75" increase in travel; is the suspension feel from a longer stroke shock noticeable?

given that the expense is a new linkage and new shock, is it really worth it other than for upgraditis. i'd like to hear from those of you who have gone from the 4.5 " setting to the 5.25" setting, pros and cons.

i'm in a quandry whether to push my old float, get a new float or get the 5.25" linkage and new 7.87 float to go with my 130 float fork (set at 100 at the moment).

opinions would be welcome.

thanks

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the 5.25 on my '02 blade. It has some drawbacks, but it does ride great especially with the Pushed Float. It gives a bit more travel in reserve for drop offs and the like. Also it is an advantage for those of us who were having to pump up the 1.5 inch stroke shock pretty high to get the desired sag. The 7.87X2 shock gives a better leverage ratio. Unless you could benefit from the improved leverage ratio,I'd say get your current shock Pushed and stick to the original 4.5 links. Although I have not ridden that setup, I can say the Push Factory System really improves performance of the Fox Float rear shock in the 5.25 and I think you will really notice it in the 4.5 inch travel setup.

As far as the drawbacks--

Drawback: to pump up the shock, you have to undo the shock mount bolt. The hole in the link does not line up with the schraeder fitting on the fox float. This is really kind of a PITA when you are trying to dial things in, but doesn't have to be done very often once you have your pressure dialed in.

Drawback. the 5.25 links are somewhat heavier. Never weighed them, but 5.25 are definitely more massive.

Drawback, I personally have not experienced this but according to some, you can get tire rub at full compression (you can read about this and other issues by searching the forum on key words like 5.25, linkage, full travel, etc.)

Finally, some say the blade handles better in 4.5 mode

Either way, you can't lose

·
Registered
582 Posts
Endo Often said:
Drawback: to pump up the shock, you have to undo the shock mount bolt. The hole in the link does not line up with the schraeder fitting on the fox float. This is really kind of a PITA when you are trying to dial things in, but doesn't have to be done very often once you have your pressure dialed in.
You must have the newer version of the long travel links. My 02 Blade came with the original long travel links and the schraeder fitting was a perfect match to the hole in the link.

Anyway, I had reverse upgradeitus and got the regular links not long after I purchased the bike. I was not a fan of how the bike pedaled or handled with the extra travel. I'd slap it on to bomb down Porcupine Rim but for 99% of my riding it was not my preference. Mind you this was before the whole push, propedal, stable platform, etc. happened.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SB 4.5 vs 5.25 vs. 5.75

I had an 01 SB... tried the 5.7" links and it was just too much for me at the time. However that was a few years ago and I might have a different opinion if I tried it now.

Moved down to 4.5" and was happy. Had my Float tuned by Push and was really stoked on the ride.

This last summer, I picked up an 04 SB with the 5.25" links and a Float R. This is my favorite setting so far. I didn't think 0.75" would make much of a difference, but to me it feels a lot better than the 4.5" setting. I think the longer stroke shock plays a big role. I am very impressed with the small bump compliance.

To answer your question, is the change in shock stroke noticable? I'd have to say absolutely, yes, it is.

As for the Push treatment - it completely transformed my SB. I would highly recommend it no matter what linkage you use.

I haven't noticed any tire rub under full compression, but I haven't looked for it either. I will check for it next time I have my bike in the stand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.