Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I a have a DT 5.1D rim on the Front and a Mavic 717 rear setup on My Blur LT and I want to go Tubeless. So, I am thinking of getting a nicer stout rear wheel, like a
5.1D/ Hope pro2 or 340 combo instead of my Mavic 717/XTR setup.

At the Moment I am running Nevegal stick-e 2.35's and I would love to stay with this tire as they work great for the techy, rockgarden east coast stuff I ride and it seems I can save a lot of weight by staying with non UST tires.

If I go with the DT Swiss Tubeless Kit can I stay with my non UST Nevegals? The notubes site says this will work but I am not sure if the DT kit will work with a non UST tire; has anyone ran this setup? Should I just invest in UST tires? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
The standard Nev and tubeless don't work so well for 2 reasons. (my experience on 5.1 rims and 2.35 and 2.5 Nevegal tires)

1. The side wall on the nevs is too thin. It is very tough to get a good seal.

2. The side wall flexes too much if you do get it sealed and will contantly burp.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
SSINGA said:
The standard Nev and tubeless don't work so well for 2 reasons. (my experience on 5.1 rims and 2.35 and 2.5 Nevegal tires)

1. The side wall on the nevs is too thin. It is very tough to get a good seal.

2. The side wall flexes too much if you do get it sealed and will contantly burp.
I have Nevegal 2.35 & 2.1 DTC non ust on Dt 5.1 with the DT rim strip and stans sealant. It takes some time to get the bead to seal. Once it does it's held pressure fine. I usally have to add a few lbs before a ride but never much, it's not like they are flat, it's nothing to worry about.

I have to say I never had a burping problem, I run 25 - 30 lbs pressure. I have found the DT rim and strip has a good bead lock system, it's a pain to break them loose to change the tire. with the way the rim strip locks the bead, I wouldn't think burping would be a problem, at least in my case.

I have had one side wall puncture, repaired on the trail with a peice fabric band-aid stuffed in the hole and the sealant took care of the rest.

I personally had good result with the ghetto system with another bike (different wheels & tires). If I would have know about it sooner, I would ahve done it with the DT wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts