Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4x kit

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  zen bicycle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, putting out a feeler here to see if there is any interest in me selling the 4x in kit form. It is probably the most user friendly build and I wanted to make something available to the DIY crowd if possible.

No real info on price or anything yet.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, that is what I am trying to get a feel for. Would there be interest in a complete build kit, or just in the light body itself? This would vary the price greatly.

I was thinking of the following
Light body
4XPG r5
switch
connectors

You supply battery and driver of choice (maxflex/bflex)

I am estimating the total for this configuration would be around

around 150-175 usd + shipping

dependant on demand.

Let me know what you think

#4 ·
I'd like to see more 2x lights and the smaller and lighter the better. I would much rather have two 2x than a single 4x and two 4x is just silly. With one on the bars and one on the helmet, two ~600 lumen lights should be enough for anyone.

#7 ·
As to price, consider this light:

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut889

Or look up Ktronik's site.

It's $150 with driver and includes the higher Cutter markup on it, about $130 with driver from Taskled directly. Yours would have 33% more light, and run a bit cooler? So no more than $150 ($170 or $175 with Blfex/maxflex) for your 4 X. I considered buying two K-lights. Building my own pair of Triple R5's will save only $50 when all is said and done not much for all the time in making heatsinks. I suspect it would have been as much fun and less work going the kit route.

If weight and size are big factors, they trump amount of light.
As to having more lumens available than needed, that's where lower settings and more run time come in (or lighter battery packs) and still you have light to spare for when you need it. Boy Scout rule.

#8 ·
MtbMacgyver said:
I agree that 600-800 lumens between helmet and bar is enough for me to ride at daylight speeds. I've done enough 24 hour races where I can compare day and night lap times to feel comfortable with that assertion. For me, the best use of advances in LED technology, is to get that amount of light from smaller and lighter weight lights.
Its always useful to scroll back a few years into the forums and see the OMG 300 LUMENZ ON DA BARZ AND 100 ON DA HELMUT builds. People got along ok then.

ps: yes Brian the Klight is a really nice bit of kit :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Yes the Klight is nice no arguments there. I could do the 500l (need to find a new name for that one), but the 4x configuration seemed to be what every one was interested in. As far as the 150 price it might come down a bit. Again this is based on what volume is desired as I would do a special run just for build kits.

thanks

#10 ·
zen bicycle said:
Yes the Klight is nice no arguments there. I could do the 500l (need to find a new name for that one), but the 4x configuration seemed to be what every one was interested in. As far as the 150 price it might come down a bit. Again this is based on what volume is desired as I would do a special run just for build kits.

thanks
I'm interested and think the price is reasonable.

But I'll hold out till next fall as the riding season's starting to get back into the daylight hours. Would you offer a discount for beer+NM trail bikeguide/shuttle-biatch duties in NM?

#11 ·
OK, I am fine with that, maybe something better will come along between now and then. If I ever get out to NM you are first in line for

bikeguide/shuttle-biatch duties

I don't do discounts on beer as I tend to drink more than the lights are worth :D

Wouldn't want to come out of the deal owing you money!

#12 ·
notaknob said:
I'm interested and think the price is reasonable.

But I'll hold out till next fall as the riding season's starting to get back into the daylight hours. Would you offer a discount for beer+NM trail bikeguide/shuttle-biatch duties in NM?
What you need Bruce is one to match your Liberator .;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.