Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Good luck trying to get that info.

I have sent at least 3 emails over the last 3 weeks, pm'd turnerbikes on here about it and even asked the local distributor about it, all he got was when the production run was to start.

Zip, nada, nothing.

Either they haven't finalised it or they don't want to give it out. Which ever way, not replying to me is really bad CS imo, as if anyone is going to laydown $1800US for a frame with no specs, no size info, no color info or no info about the shock it is coming with.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have either of you tried asking that guy who bought one of the 4x team frames off of ebay? I don't know whether the geometry will be the same from the team edition to the production edition, but I am sure he can give you a rough estimate to start your speculation from.

·
Registered
363 Posts
dyst0pia said:
Have either of you tried asking that guy who bought one of the 4x team frames off of ebay? I don't know whether the geometry will be the same from the team edition to the production edition, but I am sure he can give you a rough estimate to start your speculation from.
That was a pre-production race frame, and trying to get measurements from it wouldn't be very accurate. 1 degree of head angle would make a huge difference as to how the bike rides, Geometry basically defines how the bike will ride.

Anyway, i would like one to match my DHR but i might just end up getting a specialized SX 4x bike, at least i can get info on it :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
cave dweller said:
Geometry basically defines how the bike will ride.
Thanks for this bit of sheer genius. I had no idea that geometry defined the feel of a bike.

If you really are upset that DT cannot give you information regarding a frame that isn't even in production yet, then I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't exactly call that poor CS, I would call it not wanting to say anything until he is 100% sure he is satisfied with his product.

·
Registered
363 Posts
dyst0pia said:
Thanks for this bit of sheer genius. I had no idea that geometry defined the feel of a bike.

If you really are upset that DT cannot give you information regarding a frame that isn't even in production yet, then I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't exactly call that poor CS, I would call it not wanting to say anything until he is 100% sure he is satisfied with his product.
Almost as great as the bit of genius saying i should ask the guy who bought a proto to whip out the tape measure and protractor. Hey, im sure that will be real accurate :rolleyes:

No one even knows what size that frame is, and turner said production models will have a 0.25" shorter top tube so any measurements from it are meaningless. It is being made in less then 2 months, i find it hard to beleive the design isn't set yet.

Anyway, I don't really care that much, I was just letting the guy know that nothing is avaliable (for whatever reason) even if you ask for it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
dyst0pia said:
Yeh, maybe saying it is poor CS is going a bit far.

But i would have expected turner to be more forthcoming about the frame seeing its a limited production run and if you want one you need to put your name on the list. The highline has been in the works for over 2 years and all info about it is available.

Just a bit peeved at not getting any answers to my questions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
cave dweller said:
No one even knows what size that frame is, and turner said production models will have a 0.25" shorter top tube so any measurements from it are meaningless.
I apologize, I did not know that DT had said this. But even still, you might want to pull that stick out of...oh, nevermind...it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
It's amazing to see what people ***** about when a company does everything right, with respect to their cs. Then they start nitpicking about minor things and making like it's the end of the fricking world.
Better watch out, here comes the turner pose to hit me over the head with their big sticks for saying something not nice about turner :( Better reprieve myself, ummm...... Ellsworth sucks ass, can we all hug now :D

I did correct what i had written previously about turners CS so don't get your knickers in a knot.

With the 4x bike if you don't get on the list there is a good chance you won't get a frame, only 50 or so will be made this year. The bike suits all the details i am looking for in a small travel bike, uber short chain stays, 3-4 inchs travel etc All i need is some frame size and geometry details to finalise. Geometry may be a "minor" detail to you but i need to know prior to purchase.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Do you need to lay out cash to be on the waiting list?
If not, just get on the list, and then be ready to buy a Blur4X, PlanetX split, Enduro SX or whatever if the Turner geometry doesn't work for ya. These other 4x frames shouldn't be hard to pick up relatively quickly.

-r

·
Registered
363 Posts
rpet said:
Do you need to lay out cash to be on the waiting list?
If not, just get on the list, and then be ready to buy a Blur4X, PlanetX split, Enduro SX or whatever if the Turner geometry doesn't work for ya. These other 4x frames shouldn't be hard to pick up relatively quickly.

-r
I am fairly sure i would need to put a deposit down, or in the very least guarantee i will buy it.

I don't want to screw over the local importer, i am a man of my word, if i say i will buy it then i will.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
my take on all this is the frame, as ya say, is still 2 months out from production meaning its less than likely the geo is firmly in place, therefore makin a answer to yer question pretty impossible at the moment. not a fun situation to be in if yer a perspective buyer of a very limited production frame from a very popular builder making a very popular nitch design. whats the old saying? ya pays yer moneys and yas takes yer chances. yep, thats the one. good luck with it cave and be sure to tell the girls i said hi.

·
Registered
363 Posts
cactuscorn said:
my take on all this is the frame, as ya say, is still 2 months out from production meaning its less than likely the geo is firmly in place, therefore makin a answer to yer question pretty impossible at the moment. not a fun situation to be in if yer a perspective buyer of a very limited production frame from a very popular builder making a very popular nitch design. whats the old saying? ya pays yer moneys and yas takes yer chances. yep, thats the one. good luck with it cave and be sure to tell the girls i said hi.
Yep, not fun, at least someone understands where im coming from.

Ahhh....... girls. I'll wave at a couple sun baking topless on the beach for you :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
cactuscorn said:
and heres that badly needed hug, pal. so, ya gonna get one anyway? or are ya gonna be one of those guys bummin his ass off when theyre all grabbed up?
I don't know, maybe, depends on the sizing of the bike really.

I decided to import a picture of one of the honda 4x protos into autocad and "very roughly" get some numbers.

Head angle....................67deg
Seat angle....................73 deg
Effective top tube...........22.5"
Wheel base .................42.5"
BB hieght ................... 12"
Chain stay................... 16.25"

This makes it almost equivalant to a small flux, and DT said he was making it 0.25" shorter top tube, which is wwwwwaaaayyyy too small for me. My medium DHR is as small a bike as i feel comfotable riding, and the effective top tube on that is 24inch's and i run a 60mm stem.

I want to use the bike for 4x and for riding off road with my girl friend. What i really want is a six pack front triangle with 4 inchs of rear travel which isn't going to happen. Think i will sit on my hands for another couple of weeks and see if a larger size is in the pipe line.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
dear mr dweller. it seems to me that you may be missin the point of this frame just a tad bit. now im no 4 cross racer nor do i pretend to be, however ive got more than a few bmx cruiser races and 20" races under my belt over the last 31 years and this experience shows me without a doubt that a very short top tube and a very short chain stay is the only way to go for this kinda rig. its all about acceleration, in flight stability, cornering on rails and the ability to manual like a fiend. this cannot be done on a trail bike like a spot, a xc bike like a flux or a fr bike like a pack. its a dedicated, nitch frame, not somethin you can tool around on with the better half. if thats yer plan then yer right, sit on those hands, let them all go away and do somethin else instead. larger or not its never gonna be a trail bike and its never gonna be comfy for anything other than flat out 4 cross racing and some lighter, smoother dirt jumping. hello?

·
Registered
363 Posts
cactuscorn said:
dear mr dweller. it seems to me that you may be missin the point of this frame just a tad bit. now im no 4 cross racer nor do i pretend to be, however ive got more than a few bmx cruiser races and 20" races under my belt over the last 31 years and this experience shows me without a doubt that a very short top tube and a very short chain stay is the only way to go for this kinda rig. its all about acceleration, in flight stability, cornering on rails and the ability to manual like a fiend. this cannot be done on a trail bike like a spot, a xc bike like a flux or a fr bike like a pack. its a dedicated, nitch frame, not somethin you can tool around on with the better half. if thats yer plan then yer right, sit on those hands, let them all go away and do somethin else instead. larger or not its never gonna be a trail bike and its never gonna be comfy for anything other than flat out 4 cross racing and some lighter, smoother dirt jumping. hello?
Some valid points cactus, but im not missing the point at all. There are not set ways you have to use a bike, at the end of the day it still has two wheels and moves.

Im not talking about XC racing here, i am hardly a competitive XC rider, i prefer to walk up hills then ride them :p i currently ride XC on my DHR with my girl friend. I can hardly afford to have a specific bike for each thing i do, i would love to have a 5 spot, or a flux, but its not going to cut the mustered with 4x is it?

What i am primarily after is a short travel 4x bike, that i can also just ride around on with my girl. My girlfriends FSR is the same size as that turner 4x and its too small for me, even for jumping.

With the old rail, Turner produced 2 sizes, one with an actual 20.2" (22.5 effective) top tube (for people under 5'8") and one with a 22" top tube (people over 5'8"), which would be the one i would need to get. But who knows, maybe turner will only produce 1 size 4x this time, if so its too small, even for 4x racing, i would smash my knees on the bars.

While it is never going to be an XC weapon it will do the job, i can run a full length seat pole and raise it as required, the seat pole angles are fine for doing that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
cave dweller said:
I don't know, maybe, depends on the sizing of the bike really.

I decided to import a picture of one of the honda 4x protos into autocad and "very roughly" get some numbers.

Head angle....................67deg
Seat angle....................73 deg
Effective top tube...........22.5"
Wheel base .................42.5"
BB hieght ................... 12"
Chain stay................... 16.25"

This makes it almost equivalant to a small flux, and DT said he was making it 0.25" shorter top tube, which is wwwwwaaaayyyy too small for me. My medium DHR is as small a bike as i feel comfotable riding, and the effective top tube on that is 24inch's and i run a 60mm stem.

I want to use the bike for 4x and for riding off road with my girl friend. What i really want is a six pack front triangle with 4 inchs of rear travel which isn't going to happen. Think i will sit on my hands for another couple of weeks and see if a larger size is in the pipe line.
Turner said the chainstays are 16" , not 16.25".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.