Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings Everyone

My wife has been using my medium sized NRS 'race bike' for a while now but tells me she doesn't really 'like it'. The bike is too twitchy for her riding style/abilities. FYI: Her previous mtb was a heavy Giant freeride type bike that I ditched because I thought she needed something faster/lighter. She tells that she felt MUCH more confident on the old freeride bike. I guess I did a real :madman:

Anyway, I've been doing some net research and happened on the 4X. On paper it looks to be ideal for her:
  • slack head tube angle at ~68 degrees
  • relatively short TT length (compared to my NRS)
  • relatively long wheel base
  • ability to use 2.3"+ tires
  • low BB height
All of these features should (on paper) make this bike more "relaxed" and confidence inspiring for someone who isn't agro on a mtb.

I realize this is an 'enthusiast oriented forum' (probably race oriented) but I'd like to hear from folks who can comment on the stability/ease of handling qualities of the 4X. The biggest thing I'm looking for is setting up a 'forgiving' (and lightweight) bike for her. Use would be mostly fireroad and easy singletrack.

Thanks much
JohnG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since I´ve got one I´ll chime in. It sounds like the kind of bike your wife is looking for. The best thing about this bike is the head angle, to some of you xc oriented guys this might be slack but coming from fr/dh style background it´s more like stable not slack. More importantly the head angle makes this bike really easy to ride, confidence inspiring, which in my experience is really important when riding with chicas. It is also relatively light and will last for a long time.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'll agree with TrailTiger...I've used my 4x for pretty much every type of riding and it has been outstanding. It's like a baby DH bike. A fork with adjustable travel (I have a pike) is great if the bike will see multipurpose use. The only thing to be aware of is that the BB is LOW, not kinda low, like, really low (12.6 inches). I only mention this because you say your wife is coming from a "freeride" bike, which tend to have high BBs. I should say that the low BB is one of my favorite things about the bike (so stable in turns), but you do have to be aware of when you are pedaling when in rocky sections or in turns...and you have to be good about lowering your outside pedal when you lean over in a turn or you will chunck the inside pedal. Really though, I think most people can easily adapt to this and would enjoy the 4x for about any type of riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS much for the quick replys. :D

Now the two other questions: Which fork and brakes?

I know virtually nothing about the "new forks". I've got 80mm forks (Sid and Manitou) on my bikes right now with Englund inards. I'm OK with that sort of fork for my bikes but I need something in the 100-12mm range for the 4x and my wife.

Also, what about a canti brake for the front? I realize the rear will most definately be disk but how about the front? I'm 'old school' on brakes and have never used disks. The riding conditions will always be dry. I'm OK with using disks but would like to hear back from the troops on this one. :confused:

Any suggestions for a fork?............. I'd like to keep the cost in the sub $600 range. My net-research indicates the Reba race would be decent choice but I have zero experience with this type of fork.

Is SpeedGoat the best source for SC? I bought my NRS's from them and had good experiences using them. However, I'm west coast (Ventura area) and wouldn't mind finding a local dealer if possible (and reasonably priced).

Much thanks again
JohnG

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
My 2 cents: The 4X will do great with any number of forks. I wouldn't go shorter than 100mm, though. Rock Shox has several good candidates like the Revelation or Reba. Fox has the F series and the TALAS (which is what I'm running). The TALAS is travel adjust between 100/120/140mm and a fork like this really brings out the versatile nature of the B4X. Shorten the fork and it handles sharp without feeling too weight forward. Lengthen it and it's nice and stable on the downhills and rough terrain. The TALAS is out of your range unless you look used. I think the RS Revelation would fit your needs nicely.

As for brakes, you may not even have a canti option because a lot of newer forks don't even have bosses. Go disc. You wont regret it. You get better power, better modulation, with less effort which results in less hand fatigue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Low bottom bracket

Hi all
Low bottom braket.

In my estimation 12.6 is low :eek: but a 2004 specialized enduro had this height and was the bike to have.:thumbsup:
13.75 Intense Uzzi is too high for trail riding.:eekster:

So is 13" - 13.25" about right then.

The recommended fork is a 470mm wich is a Rock shox Judy 100. The other 100mm forks would seem to be 490mm. If you then run it at 120mm or 140 you will raise the bottom bracket:confused:

510mm 530mm with a fox. This should take the bottom bracket to 13"ish?

Is that still low?:skep:

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
Mr Smith said:
Hi all
Low bottom braket.

In my estimation 12.6 is low :eek: but a 2004 specialized enduro had this height and was the bike to have.:thumbsup:
13.75 Intense Uzzi is too high for trail riding.:eekster:

So is 13" - 13.25" about right then.

The recommended fork is a 470mm wich is a Rock shox Judy 100. The other 100mm forks would seem to be 490mm. If you then run it at 120mm or 140 you will raise the bottom bracket:confused:

510mm 530mm with a fox. This should take the bottom bracket to 13"ish?

Is that still low?:skep:
Not sure if I got what you're asking... but in the real world I smacked my pedals once a ride or so for the first month and only when I had my fork lowered to 100mm. And only when i was climbing in technical areas. But it was never something that stopped me or bothered me. In fact, I must have adapted to it because I rarely bonk my pedals now.

·
Jus' Ridin' Along
269 Posts
Do your girl right

johnnymg said:
THANKS much for the quick replys. :D

Now the two other questions: Which fork and brakes?

I know virtually nothing about the "new forks". I've got 80mm forks (Sid and Manitou) on my bikes right now with Englund inards. I'm OK with that sort of fork for my bikes but I need something in the 100-12mm range for the 4x and my wife.

Also, what about a canti brake for the front? I realize the rear will most definately be disk but how about the front? I'm 'old school' on brakes and have never used disks. The riding conditions will always be dry. I'm OK with using disks but would like to hear back from the troops on this one. :confused:

Any suggestions for a fork?............. I'd like to keep the cost in the sub $600 range. My net-research indicates the Reba race would be decent choice but I have zero experience with this type of fork.

Is SpeedGoat the best source for SC? I bought my NRS's from them and had good experiences using them. However, I'm west coast (Ventura area) and wouldn't mind finding a local dealer if possible (and reasonably priced).

Much thanks again
JohnG
First off, the nod to ya for making the effort for your wife. I switched mine from her beloved Superlight to a BLT and she has been one happy biker chick ever since. So much more comfortable and fun than the old "race style" steed. Gave it to her up at Camp Nelson, nice surprise, especially for those trails.Now she rides more and says stuff like "let's go to Fruita". She's ready to hit McGill as soon as it thaws.
Hopefully you've checked the SC site for dealers up in your area. I know Cambria Bike sells 'em and I've heard good stuff about them. If you can go there in person, you can wheel and deal better; don't be afraid to make an offer.
Wow, Englund air carts. I was so happy to get rid of mine I gave them away, and even gave away the SID I put them in.
For my wife's BLT, I'm pointing her towards the Revelation. Excellent value compared to a Fox, and RS customer service has been superb. The REBA may be a bit short for that frame; check with SC.
And go with discs. my wife had XTR everything on her Superlight including cantis, but I put the Avid mech BB7's on her new ride, and she doesn't even notice the weight diff, but she's all smiles when she hits the binders. Plus I had her and her girlfriend understanding how to adjust them in about 15 minutes. AND they work with her precious XTR levers.
Anyway, PM me with an e-mail if you want more info on how I set my gal's bike up.
And if you end up in OC, we'll show ya some rides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BobL said:
First off, the nod to ya for making the effort for your wife. I switched mine from her beloved Superlight to a BLT and she has been one happy biker chick ever since. So much more comfortable and fun than the old "race style" steed. Gave it to her up at Camp Nelson, nice surprise, especially for those trails.Now she rides more and says stuff like "let's go to Fruita". She's ready to hit McGill as soon as it thaws.
Hopefully you've checked the SC site for dealers up in your area. I know Cambria Bike sells 'em and I've heard good stuff about them. If you can go there in person, you can wheel and deal better; don't be afraid to make an offer.
Wow, Englund air carts. I was so happy to get rid of mine I gave them away, and even gave away the SID I put them in.
For my wife's BLT, I'm pointing her towards the Revelation. Excellent value compared to a Fox, and RS customer service has been superb. The REBA may be a bit short for that frame; check with SC.
And go with discs. my wife had XTR everything on her Superlight including cantis, but I put the Avid mech BB7's on her new ride, and she doesn't even notice the weight diff, but she's all smiles when she hits the binders. Plus I had her and her girlfriend understanding how to adjust them in about 15 minutes. AND they work with her precious XTR levers.
Anyway, PM me with an e-mail if you want more info on how I set my gal's bike up.
And if you end up in OC, we'll show ya some rides.
Hi BobL

Thanks for the general advice! I've dealt with CBO before so I'll check them out for the Blur. The big local dealer for SC (Helens) are pretty tough to deal with. :madman:.

I'm so old-school I still enjoy the ride from flexy SID's with Englunds. :eek:ut:
JohnG

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I ride in one of the most rooted and rocky places on the planet and I haven't had too much a problem smacking. It does happen...but it happens without much frequency. You will love this bike. Mine is set up with a 07 Rev coil that I either have at 100 or 115. It seems corners better in the tight corners at 100. My polished large frame weighed in at 6lbs. .4lbs for powdercoat?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.