Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Fourth off unexpectedly, seemed like a good day to ride the Kingdom Trails. I couldn't decide which bike to bring, so I threw them both in the truck and did a loop on each one.

Started on the rigid singlespeed:

East Darling Hill Rd
Loop
River Run
Tody's Tour
Tap & Die
River Run
Web's
River Run
West Branch
Hog Back
Sidewinder
West Branch
Old Web's
Jaw
Maxilla
Sugar Hill
Ridge
Rim
Connector
Worth It
Mansion View
Worth It
Herb's

After three hours I was ready for gears and suspension. Back to the truck, switch bikes, and out for more.

Mountain Rd
Dashney Rd
Trillium
Magill Fields
Moose Alley
White School
Nose Dive
White School
VAST trail
Beat Bog
Kitchel

Two more hours and my legs were done. Fun ride, good conditions. A lot has changed since I was there two years ago. Drainage has been improved and there is a lot more bridging (some nice long ones on Jaw), but some spots are eroding or just getting beat up (like Sidewinder).

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good ride. Sidewinder has lost a lot of its buff just in the last month with all the rain and people ridding it wet. I went through one day and there was some deep ruts in the bottom of the trail where people had ridden it when it was muddy. They had hardened back up but one still tried to eat my front tire.
That new bridge on Jaw is my new Nemesis. I fell of it on thursday and saturday right where it gets real skinny at the end.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
MysticFalcon said:
Good ride. Sidewinder has lost a lot of its buff just in the last month with all the rain and people ridding it wet. I went through one day and there was some deep ruts in the bottom of the trail where people had ridden it when it was muddy.
Don't blame the riders... blame KT for wanting to stay open even when it's wet. All other trail systems are closed when it poors.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigJay said:
Don't blame the riders... blame KT for wanting to stay open even when it's wet. All other trail systems are closed when it poors.
They do have a rope at the top of Sidewinder so they can close that trail selectively. Not sure how often they do that though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
VT Mike said:
They do have a rope at the top of Sidewinder so they can close that trail selectively. Not sure how often they do that though.
Im going to say not often enough.
Some of the trails deal with the water better than others. They need to be a little more selective about trail closings instead of just darling hill is always open and mountain side is closed if it is raining.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
MysticFalcon said:
Im going to say not often enough.
Some of the trails deal with the water better than others. They need to be a little more selective about trail closings instead of just darling hill is always open and mountain side is closed if it is raining.
Here's the thing... a couple years back, KT was closed on rainy days. Which was alright... you could always rely on doubletrack to ride. But customers got "angry" after driving all the way there and not being able to ride. So now they have officed and employes and need the cash... so they decide to be open "no matter what"... so now, they always have Darling Hill open... Mountain side is (mostly i think) on state land... so they close mountain side as soon as it rains.

Now most trails are pretty beaten up compare to how they were a few years back. I was a member for a good 5 years... now, for the past 2-3 years, i visit only 2-3 times a year only because i can only remember the better days... I appreciate the new stuff... but think they should step it up when it comes to trail construction to make it more sustainable and not rely on volume of riders to "bench" the trail in... instead of constructing it to make it last.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I went 4 years without ridding because I didnt have a bike. going back there is a lot of new stuff but the old buff is really gone. I had thought I remembered it being closed for rain and a lot smoother everywhere. Some of the trails I kind of like the extra tech aspect of them now but my hard tail friends dont agree.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
My Sentiments exactly....well said.

BigJay said:
Here's the thing... a couple years back, KT was closed on rainy days. Which was alright... you could always rely on doubletrack to ride. But customers got "angry" after driving all the way there and not being able to ride. So now they have officed and employes and need the cash... so they decide to be open "no matter what"... so now, they always have Darling Hill open... Mountain side is (mostly i think) on state land... so they close mountain side as soon as it rains.

Now most trails are pretty beaten up compare to how they were a few years back. I was a member for a good 5 years... now, for the past 2-3 years, i visit only 2-3 times a year only because i can only remember the better days... I appreciate the new stuff... but think they should step it up when it comes to trail construction to make it more sustainable and not rely on volume of riders to "bench" the trail in... instead of constructing it to make it last.
My recollection and recent experience also the same as BigJay's.....all is not lost though....Tim Tierney and team will react to the feedback they get and begin a course correction to return Kingdom to its prime...just takes time. In the meantime I am exploring other areas of Vermont and other states. Although I do feel the tug toward riding Kingdom each year at least once. Ride On!

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
BigJay said:

Build it once, or fix it forever. Under-built trail is my favorite kind of trail to ride, but for places like the KT, everything should be bomb proof construction. I live an hour from KT and haven't been there in a decade....it used to be magic brown ribbon BITD. Last time I was there, Old Webs was still loam.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
DaveVt said:
Build it once, or fix it forever. Under-built trail is my favorite kind of trail to ride, but for places like the KT, everything should be bomb proof construction. I live an hour from KT and haven't been there in a decade....it used to be magic brown ribbon BITD. Last time I was there, Old Webs was still loam.
Of course, magic brown sniggles are great... but not to build "destinations" out of... I love naturally flowing trails... but when you market yourself as "THE mountain biking destination in the east", you should have bombproof trails...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I can understand being upset for traveling far and not being able to ride what you so looked forward to, but this is extreme outdoor sports and weather. People need to blame the weather. Sometimes you just get unlucky. Mtb destinations are similar to ski destinations and if the weather stinks trails need to be closed.

Makes me wonder if people complain to ski resorts about trails being closed when it rains or it hasn't snowed in a month.

·
Registered
173 Posts
idbrian said:
Makes me wonder if people complain to ski resorts about trails being closed when it rains or it hasn't snowed in a month.
Mt bikers are WAY more self-sufficient and low maintenance than the resort skiing set.

I've heard skiers complain to the management on deep powder days that there was too much snow on the trails. Or complaining that the snow wasn't "hard enough" to rail high-speed GS turns on the groomed trails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.