Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Open the canned peaches!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where else? A few pics from my weekend rides up the Poudre.

Camped with the family at Chambers lake over the weekend and had a chance to ride a couple of trails I'd never ridden.
I was probably a few weeks early for the American Lakes trail as I had to push through quite a few drifts, but I can see doing this one again once it has dried up.
The other new trail to me was the Roaring Fork trail. It was a real b1tch of a climb, steep and technical and I walked more than rode, but kept pushing on as I knew it would eventually mellow out. And it finally did giving way to fast and flowy ups and downs. If I were to do it again I'd either get dropped at the top or ride a big loop instead of the up and back.

American Lakes:

Roaring Creek:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice shots -- great-looking rides.

Regarding the photos showing up twice: Did you upload the photos, not see them in your preview post, then use the "Insert Image" button with the URL address? When you upload the photos, they will show up in the actual post as "Attached Images" but they won't show in the preview post. You probably just need to edit your post and delete the inserted images with IMG tags.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Beautiful !

I used to do a lot of riding around American Lakes 15-20 yrs ago. Did you start from Cameron Pass and take the ditch trail or start from below at the State Forest parking lot?.

Just west of the sloping valley that leads to American Lakes is another large bowl. It is laced with long de-commissioned clear cut tracks that are now snowmobile trails. I used to get lost in the cobweb of trails during my morning rides from the campground, to Lake Agnes, and riding across the Ditch to get to the bowl and the American Lakes. Bikes aren't allowed up the Lake Agnes Trail now, but the ditch is accessible from several other points.

:madmax: Roaring Fork Trail ! The one trail that I pushed up and said never again. I have heard it's a great Epic loop on the DH side, linked with some of the Bald Mountain/ Nunn Basin 4wd/OHV trails starting near Red Feather.

·
Open the canned peaches!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started from Cameron Pass and rode the ditch. Great stuff up there, too bad there's so much closed to bikes surrounding that area. I'm sure I'll be back to explore some more.
Yep, Roaring fork had my flaming mad face on pushing up but the upper rolling portion was good fun and the dh back kept me on my toes. But, like you said, I'd probably only do it again as part of a big loop.

·
Open the canned peaches!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, that sounds right. On the right side of the road as you drive up canyon. It connects at the top with some 4wd roads and some other trails that will get you to Red feather.

·
2,822 Posts
KBZ77 said:
Camped with the family at Chambers lake over the weekend and had a chance to ride a couple of trails I'd never ridden.
I was probably a few weeks early for the American Lakes trail as I had to push through quite a few drifts, but I can see doing this one again once it has dried up.
No $hit, I was up there too this past Thursday, Friday, Saturday. We tried to camp in the Chambers Lake campground, but it was full. We ended up finding a sweet secluded (and free) primitive area on the other side of the lake about 2 miles up Glendevey road. The water was about 50 yards straight downhill. I was driving a white Subaru Forester with a Silver Niner RIP9 up top if you saw that rolling around up there.

American Lakes is a special place, I proposed to my wife on that bridge 3/4 of the way up. Here is a pic from that day 5 years ago...much drier. 1.1 megapixel $400 camera back then I bought just for that day. Wish the pic quality was better.

I didn't get any riding shots from this past weekend up there but I got some really good highcountry shots I'll have to pull from the camera and post. We hiked up to Lake Agnes and did some fishing...boy was it tough hike up this year with all the snow. That hike told me American Lakes had to be pretty snowed under still...

Brett

Attachments

·
Open the canned peaches!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, yeah, I did see you roll through the campground as we were setting up. Too bad you weren't a little later as our camping neighbors with reservations never showed and they gave the spot away to some crazy pyro dudes who must have had a cord of wood and kept their fire roaring about 6 ft tall nearly all day.

We were planning to hike up to Lake Agnes the next day, but my kids claimed to be too tired from our Big South trail hike. I thought they might have a good time climbing through the snow, but oh well.

Definitely a beautiful spot for a wedding proposal. It might have been a long hike back if she said no though :) . I'm sure I'll head back later this year after it dries out. Your pic looks to be the exact spot as the biggest drift I encountered.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
btx said:
roaring fork is the one just past the fish hatchery, no?
I think he means Roaring Creek. Thats what the pics look like anyway. It is way down the canyon from from American lakes etc...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.