Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a new trend on the internet lately that I felt the need to comment on. Apparently, it's become cool to hate on downhill racers and their attire. Somewhere along the way these riders took a break from being soulful and feeling the flow to post nonsense online. To counteract, Adam and I set out on friday for a 3 day weekend at Sunday River. Our mission - To get in touch with our roots and solidify the one main idea these riders have forgotten: Mountain Biking is serious business.

Adam King, or Jackie Moon? You decide...

Showing my patriotism in Adam Craig's hand-me-down skinsuit

Saturday was even more eventful. We came back down for the second run of the day, only to find the chairlift not running. The lift attendent says "It looks like the lift is going to be down for a while" At this point we weren't so happy, but then he follows up with something beautiful "...and we're going to have to evac the people on the lift." AWESOME. We took the armor off and hiked up with some beer to watch them rope people off the lift. There was quite a bit of heckling obviously. We made the best of it to say the least...

Adam swallowing an exceptionally large caucasion female

Here are the 'real' pictures we took during the weekend. We got in alot of good riding, and it was getting pretty hard to hang on during the third day - which was OK because my rear shock blew up on the fourth run. This was my first time on a DH bike since lacerating my kidney in practice at the US Open. I defenitly have a groove to get back into before I start racing in august, but it feels so good to get back on my bike. Since alot of the pictures are in the same spots, I'll just post both of ours individually to break it up.

Adam:

Myself:

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Nice!

So you're the guy that lacerated his liver!
I heard about you! Hope you're okay.
Great shots....Glad you're back on the bike.

Kat

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SuperKat said:
So you're the guy that lacerated his liver!
I heard about you! Hope you're okay.
Great shots....Glad you're back on the bike.

Kat
That's me. First run, first day in pro practice. The rocks were pretty slick and I just had a normal crash at cruising speed. Despite a full Dainese suit, a small rock still got the best of me. It could have happened on my xc bike just as easy, so it was a real eye opener in regards to how fragile we all really are. I spent 3 days in a step-down unit after being transferred from one hospital to another. Thankfully the laceration clotted on its own and I didn't need immediate surgery. My urine looked like iced tea for close to two days though. haha.

I was also the guy who ripped his direct mount stem from the top crown. Apparently Ti hardware is not a good idea for downhill bikes. Since this happened after the crash that lacerated my kidney (i kept riding, given the small scale of the crash. read: denial), I guess it was gods way of saying its time to stop riding :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looks like you had a good time!
I'm afraid I will be committing treason for a week as of Tuesday 15th. Heading to Copper Mountain for the Specialized presentation of their new 2009 stuff. They are gathering all the Dealers world-wide there for this and luckily my boss decided not to go so I am getting sent in his stead. Even though I will be mashing up the new Speccie bike I still wish I could bring my Heckler with me....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.