Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do Blue Lake / Spaulding Lake loop on the fourth. Any takers??

Meet at Bowman Park - n - Ride on Hwy 80 in Auburn 8am Tuesday Morning or 9am at Fuller Lake to start the ride.

Bring food and bev for after ride picnic at Fuller Lake.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Hey I may be able to actually make it out! How many miles is the loop? How difficult are the climbs? I may be slower than most but you can leave me in the dust and I won't complain. Would like to bring someone along too if you don't mind.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This Ride

Length 15-16 miles

Difficulty....VERY.....this ride is rocky and technical and feels like 25 miles plus when you are done. The Downhill from Blue Lake Trail to Spaulding Lake Trail is VERY difficult...to ride...and just "difficult" to hike.

Climbs are short but there is a lot of super techy stuff that results in short hike a bikes.

Lots of Granite slabs to play on.

All are welcome....we will adjust our pace to make sure no one gets left behind....although whiners will be left in the wilderness to die....as long as you have a trooper attitude...this ride is for you.

·
Allways ride safe!!
294 Posts
Well kiss my pooper you Sassy trooper!

Aight. Got my stuff back. I'm in. See ya at Bowman. Please don't leave me to die....Please, Please, Please ( the wolves will pee on me )

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trail is not easy to follow

cmktech said:
are there steep drop offs? I think I need to push myself and try this ride. Is the traile asy to follow incase I get left behind?
This trail is not easy to follow. in fact it just plain disolves into a pile of rocks in places. Steep drop offs...YEP!

I am not wanting to discourage you but if you have serious doubts then you should not do it....If you show up we will wait for you and not let you get lost. But, like I said....any whinning and you will be left for dead:eek: jk

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
map link

bailout said:
Any maps of the said loop available online? I might come if I have a short honeydo list on the 4th:D
This map shows the loop.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/documents/rec/grousemap.pdf

start at Fuller lake

ride to rucker lake

up road to Blue Lake

trail to intersection go r on grouse ridge

then r on spaulding lake trail back to fuller

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
I'm tapped on the 4th...

bigboulder said:
I would like to do Blue Lake / Spaulding Lake loop on the fourth. Any takers??

Meet at Bowman Park - n - Ride on Hwy 80 in Auburn 8am Tuesday Morning or 9am at Fuller Lake to start the ride.

Bring food and bev for after ride picnic at Fuller Lake.
Any chance anyone would be up for HITG on the 5th or 6th? assuming tis open?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
jrm said:
Any chance anyone would be up for HITG on the 5th or 6th? assuming tis open?
Tempting but I'd croak. Still fighting lingering Bronchitis for a week so riding has been non existant. Couch surfin' and World Cup are the only high lights (good games today). Coughing up the lungs the low lights. Hell even self medicating doesn't sound too good. I know I'm sick if I turn down a beer.
I'll be in Donner all week and probably just hunt up something easy like the beginning of the ride Big Boulder posted or some other such thing.
Maybe a future weekend?

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Theres talk..

wg said:
Tempting but I'd croak. Still fighting lingering Bronchitis for a week so riding has been non existant. Couch surfin' and World Cup are the only high lights (good games today). Coughing up the lungs the low lights. Hell even self medicating doesn't sound too good. I know I'm sick if I turn down a beer.
I'll be in Donner all week and probably just hunt up something easy like the beginning of the ride Big Boulder posted or some other such thing.
Maybe a future weekend?
About a possible HITG ride mid to late july. We could do it as a day tripper..

·
Spin-stabilized
1,490 Posts
Meet you at the trailhead

9 AM tomorrow right?

I'm slow and weak but not afraid. Hope to take some pictures too so you guys can leave me in the wilderness if I slow you down. Just give me general directions on how to get home and I'm good.

I'll be in a tan corolla with a grey kokopelli on the roof rack.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,490 Posts
bigboulder said:
We may just have to beat you up at the trailhead.....for fun:D
I think that might have had the same effect as the ride had on me. Man! I'm really out of shape. That's a tough loop. I can't even imagine how tough the bigger loop would be. Is there an easier and shorter loop with the same fun techy stuff up there by the way?

Thanks for showing me around. Thanks to John for helping me straighten my der hanger (still can't use the granny ring and big cog combo though). Thanks Steve, Jim and John for waiting for my slow a$$ and not leaving me out lost in the wild with no potable water.

I might post some pictures later.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A gaggle of buds rode out there on Sunday the 2nd... we started from camp near Lake Faucherie, rode down to Sawmill, then up a mile to Grouse Ridge proper... that mile used to be 100% rideable, but 2 years of big storms and with very little trail maintenance, there was a bit of hiking. We did our best to move trees off the trail (throughout the ride). Then after the hike up to Rock Lake, the rest of the ride rocked! Lots of trees down, but we could get around or over lots of them. Due to a couple people in our group that were over their heads, we opted not to hit Glacier Lake/Sand Ridge, but we did talk to a guy that did... he said there was still lots of snow and the trail was a mess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.