Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put together 4S li-ion packs for the lights I build. To run one MC-E (in series) with a bFlex.
I have these little chargers that are 2 / 3S.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/..._2S_3S_Balance_Charger._Direct_110/240v_Input
Sorry, couldnt remember how to make a 'clicky link'!

Is there anything out there that is cheapish and does the job but for a 4S battery?? Or a charger that can charger through the main connection and a balancer that can balance on the balance plug? I am looking on hobbycity.com but am getting a bit confused.

I know about the bigger Turnigy chargers but I want to be able to sell it with the lights I make, so cant be toooo expensive. I would just use a 3S battery and a maxFlex but there are none in stock.

Thank you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
764 Posts
You could always buy another charger identical to the one you have and then make 2x 2cell packs and just series wire the packs. That or get a bigger fancy charger. I have one of these and its outstanding.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028

Only real down side is the need for a 12-16V power supply for mains charging. I also just got one of those little chargers you have for a light I made for my bother and its a very good little charger. .6A is enough for a 4 cell 18650 pack with out it taking hours. Also 2 of those chargers are probably still less money than a fancy charger and the separate power supply.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Biker, I have the same charger too, its fantastic! I didnt realise you could have two chargers on the same pack. My postie delivered a hobby city parcel today, and in it was two of the little chargers we are talking about. Fancy that!
That makes the most sense, and it is way cheaper. Now I can put my pile of bFlexi to use. Thanks man!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I guess you could wire it up as one 4s pack pack and have a switch that brakes the circuit between the center two cells so that you can charge via two 2s balance leads and 2 chargers, then when its charged flip the switch. It would be nice if the two chargers had exactly the same end voltage but they may not however you may be able to open them and calibrate.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks OTH, with those I could use a 4S protection circuit. Again, I can only find them in the States. And I will get raped with the postage!

How about this??

I know it looks like a space ship!
I am worried that with both chargers being powered by the same supply, and the batteries all connected, will there be 'cross contamination' ?? ie. Will Charger 1 be seeing the current from Charger 2?? Like on a 3 phase system, never have equipment running off different phases interacting with each other.

Could simple diodes solve this? One in Charger1 black and one in Charger2 Red wire? If so, what type?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HHH, thanks for the link, I would stoll need a 12v supply and a balance function. But I have bookmarked it for future reference!

OTH ad Bikerjay, it took me a while to do draw my space ship so I missed your posts in between. I have seen that diodes wont work but having two seperate packs or a switch will work. I may go with the switch, then the batteries can stay sealed in the water bottle.

OTH, I will make the double charger look pretty! I'll gut the internals and put them into a new plastic box. Then I can put the balance extension leads on permently. The number of them that I have lost!

Can anyone categorically say whether the two charger method as in my spaceship, will work or not? I know it will if the chargers were supplied from seperate 12v batteries, but I am unsure about 230vac.

Thanks again

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have entertained that idea HHH. However, with living on a very muddy island where it rains alot I like knowing my batteries are fully waterproof and safe in the bottle cage.
If I can't get a charging system set up I will be definitely be using seperate batteries.

I can't wait for the maxflexes to come available and have ppl hastling me for a light. As I am currently job hunting it's a good little side venture!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
................................ http://www.dstar-led.com/index.html

....NewsFlash: DStar LED is proud to be the UK & European distributor of taskLED maxFlex and bFlex Drivers. BUY NOW
I found that today too, but he's out! Waiting for George at taskled to get more stock. Will be using Steve, reduced postage makes it cheaper, not to mention quicker.

Damn I love this forum, everyone is so helpful!

Thanks man

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.