Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a crankset, either 1x10 or 1x11 with 48 teeth, what are my options?

I'm after something as light as possible, but it absolutely NEEDS to have 48 teeth on the crankset, any ideas?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still haven't taken delivery of my groupset yet, time passed, things happened...

Anyhow, I'm still a bit indecisive about what I want, the SRAM 38t ring might not offer enough speed, even with a 10/42 cassette - as I said earlier I use a 48t XT chainring now.

I really want the carbon crank and I love the overall look of the SRAM groupset, but if there's an alternative that someone has experience with I'd love to know your thoughts...

I don't absolutely need the carbon components, I know alloy can be only marginally heavier and a lot stronger.

Any ideas pleeeeeeeease

TC

·
dadamamabooboo
717 Posts
you can push a 48:10? guess some people can do that..i laughed aloud when i read that! a 4.8 gear ratio..on my 29'er that's like 140 gear-inches lol. what cadence can you maintain and for how long? sorry, nothing helpful from me i guess..i'm just curious now is all. i could see me doing it on very, very long downhill stretches..but i just don't encounter them where i live to warrant more than a 36t. i do spin out but the segments are so short that i'm more often taking a breather down them. we do have a 40-story building here however that i reckon i could mash that 48:10 down through the entire fall..
:D

·
Formerly of Kent
13,327 Posts
What kind of speed do you get with your mountain bike at 48 x 11 flat out?

Seems more like road bike territory, my hybrid for example is 58 x 11.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2
Quick, someone call the UCI ProTour. We've got another Tony "Panzerwagen" Martin on our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got no idea what speeds I reach, I don't know what the fuss is about, when I've got clear roads I'm flat out, I could do with more gears, but a road bike isn't suitable for Bangkok, the roads are terrible and I spend half my time jumping potholes and cracks in the road...

·
dadamamabooboo
717 Posts
I've got no idea what speeds I reach, I don't know what the fuss is about, when I've got clear roads I'm flat out, I could do with more gears, but a road bike isn't suitable for Bangkok, the roads are terrible and I spend half my time jumping potholes and cracks in the road...
lol, nobody's fussing! my fault i guess..i was just impressed. not your 48:10 even, but i used to run a 44:12 and while i could pedal it sure, no way i could spin it at my 'happy cadence place' on flat ground for any decent length of time. for me for the most part it made it a chainring i just couldn't justify. no way do i think that applies to everyone else. i'm 6'2" and 225 and my bike isn't carbon so weight might be an issue in my case, but i don't know that for sure. guessing plenty guys my size ride those higher gear ratios, too. so, it's a compliment! :)

·
dadamamabooboo
717 Posts
I often come home looking like a boiled vegetable so I should probably slow down :)
thailand..kinda hot and humid side maybe? lol yeah, i'm kinda picturing you as your avatar, being slowly 'steam cooked' beneath that clear umbrella! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
The top gear doesn't seem to me to be the biggest issue here, it's the low gear. An eleven speed 48x42 is perferctly fine for flat terrain. A ten speed 48x36 might not be ideal but it's not entirely unreasonable either. Maybe a 42 tooth chainring would be better if using an 11-36, the SRAM CX1 crankset fits the bill but the chainline might be slighly out for a 135mm hub.

If you're going for a SRAM 10-42 set-up and a 48 tooth chainring then you'll need a track crankset, that's the only way you'll find single speed chainrings with that number of teeth. Just make sure it has the correct chainline ~50mm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The top gear doesn't seem to me to be the biggest issue here, it's the low gear. An eleven speed 48x42 is perferctly fine for flat terrain. A ten speed 48x36 might not be ideal but it's not entirely unreasonable either. Maybe a 42 tooth chainring would be better if using an 11-36, the SRAM CX1 crankset fits the bill but the chainline might be slighly out for a 135mm hub.

If you're going for a SRAM 10-42 set-up and a 48 tooth chainring then you'll need a track crankset, that's the only way you'll find single speed chainrings with that number of teeth. Just make sure it has the correct chainline ~50mm.
Thanks for the info, that's an interesting option for me, I'd never thought of that!

I'm loving some of the 50+t chainrings but I think that's going a bit OTT, 48t is enough if I've got the 10-42 cassette!

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to parts sizes/specifications, would my BB be the right size for a track crankset? How do I find out?

And you mention the correct chainline, I've got no idea what that means :(

Could you recommend something that would be suitable? I really love the look of the X01 crankset(black/Grey), if that's any help in the right direction...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.