Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· DB4L
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Race Face Turbine LP with 48-36-24 rings. Is this too steep for a mountainbike? I'm running a 30-11 cassette in the rear.

· Registered
12,026 Posts
Sunn Xchox said:
I have an old Race Face Turbine LP with 48-36-24 rings. Is this too steep for a mountainbike? I'm running a 30-11 cassette in the rear.
Nope I run 46 32 22 with an 34-11....Most of my hills I ride 32 34 (0.94) (24/30=0.8), on occasion I will go to granny for a rest on long uphills...

You should be able to put on a 32-11 cassette, just set the chain length so the big big combo works doesn't break anything.....then the little little combo may have a slack chain, and some chain rub but who cares...probably even try a 34-11 cassette, that will have some chain rub for sure....but again who cares in little little.

· Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
I luv nuubs---that gearing is old school, That gearing was not uncommon before Shimano came out with their Compact drive. I still have a nice pair or XTR cranks with the 24/34/46 on it. The 48 is pretty big, but the 24&36 should be fine if you are running a 32 or a 34 big cog on the rear. The 30 you have might not be low enuff, but it also depends on how strong you are. I have started to like lower gears because I can always bail out if I am tired.

· Registered
2,669 Posts
Are you finding you need an easier gear on climbs? If not, than it's fine for you.
I run a 26-36-bash on one of my bikes with an 11-32 cassette and like that combo a lot.

· DB4L
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kind of like the gearing. Just went riding,the 36 has full use of all the rear gears without any serious chain problems. I'm running a long-cage, I might switch the 30-11 for a 32-11 but otherwise it's a good training tool.

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
Sunn Xchox said:
I kind of like the gearing. Just went riding,the 36 has full use of all the rear gears without any serious chain problems. I'm running a long-cage, I might switch the 30-11 for a 32-11 but otherwise it's a good training tool.
If you like it, the gearing is fine!

In many cases lower gearing does not make climbs any easier or hurt less, but it takes longer to complete them.

· Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,940 Posts
Hell, shimano offers that gearing again now for mtb cranksets... Basically all but XTR can be ordered with either 22-32-44 rings or 26-36-48 rings on the same 64/104 spider crank models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.