Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i just bought a diamondback xts moto xl frame figured it would hold my fat butt im 6-4 260 LBS its been a while since i rode and im looking for any and all advise on how or what i could do to get back in shape .. funny thing is i bought the bike 2 weeks ago then got the flu ... goes to figure but im feelin better now and rearing to get going

Thx
Rob :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Crucial advice:

1) Go ride! Go ride some more.
2) Check out your regional forum and find buddies. You might have to be a bit patient to find the ones that fit your style - but don't give up. This is a diverse community, you'll find them eventually.
3) Get a local trail map and don't stop until you've been on all trails in your area.
4) Don't be ashamed to walk. Some sections are too steep or too scary to ride. Those that say otherwise don't challenge themselves.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I started a few years ago at the same age and really enjoy mtn biking. The fun downhills and flowy sections make me feel like a kid again.

Don't worry about riding at your speed, whatever it may be. Take breaks, go slow or fast - whatever. Just have fun. The rest will come in time.

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
Like the others said, just get out there and ride. Every mile you spend on the bike is going to make the next ones easier and more fun. There's also a forum here called Clydesdales for big guys & it has lots of good info on gear & getting into shape.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Like everyone else says - ride a lot.

Look for ways to sneak riding into other parts of your life. Maybe commuting or running errands, if it's feasible for you to do by bike.

Do ab work in the morning. Or before a ride. Or whenever. IME, mountain biking beats me up less (along with skiing) when I'm being good about doing crunches.

If it tends to motivate you, look for some events and plan out a season with some goals. Look for local riding clubs. Sometimes shops organize rides as well.

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.