Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience running 22 / 32 / 46? I've bought a new 32 middle and they gave me a 46 for free. I think i can use current derailleur by just raising it a few milimeters higher (the cage seems to have the span). I am interesting to see what others think of:

1) shifting from middle up to big ring when it jumps from 32 to 46
2) would a 114 link chain be long enough?
3) other issues I should be aware of?

Of course i realize this would be create a BIG gearing but that is ok.

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't directly have experience with this, but I personally would welcome more teeth on my big chainring: more top speed on flats/dirt roads. I really never use the little chainring either, even on steep climbs. I think they sell "trekking" cranksets with 48T big rings, so you should be ok.

You should be able to shift up to that (with some adjustment), and you may need to add a couple links. I don't think anyone else can answer that link number question unless they have the same bike with the same setup. You may be able to run the same chain, just not in the extremes (big-little, little-big).

...my 2 cents.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Having a bigger ring is possible, but just watch what your derailleur is capable of handling. Most only allow a 22 tooth difference from small to big ring (ie 22 sm, 44 big). As for the actual jump mid to big, roadies often go 36-52...but they don't have a small ring to deal with too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.