Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my build... will update as parts arrive. Bit of a frankenbike! All Mtn. ss hardtail?! It will be replacing my full '07 squish (which I sold to fund build). See how I like the switch... pretty committed:D Anyway here is what was ordered...
Bars: Chromag
Stem: Thomson
Head Set: Crane Creek
Brakes: Hope x2
Seat Post: Reverb
Saddle: WTB
Cranks: e*13 ss xc
pedals: Time
Wheels: Hope ss laced to Stan's Flows
Tires: WeirWolf
Cogs: Surly
Can't believe how quick stuff adds up... It's my first hardtail, and my first single speed, hopefully everything is compatible! Mostly black parts except for the fork and bars... pics to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trickle in

My parts are starting to come in! But, I was disappointed to discover I ordered the wrong lower cup for my headset:madman: this was after I read the "which headset thread." I think I just clicked on the wrong one?! Other than that waiting on a saddle, brakes, and wheelset. This bike (other than the frame) is going to be anything, but light... The 26lb builds on the "built" thread are starting to sound pretty good!

So all I have installed are my new e*13 xc ss cranks and Time x roc pedals. I was hoping the pedals would actually have a larger platform similar to the crankbrothers mallet, but was excited to try something new. I also slipped the Thomson seat collar on and to hold the reverb post.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Complete (other than a few tweaks)

So I finally got my wheels in, and I'm quit happy with them! I set the flow rims up with the stans rim tape and tubeless valves, beaded up to them are some 2.3 weirwolfs. So far they seem to be holding air-- In the past I have used UST or rim strip, so I have my fingers crossed. The hubs are Hope single speed specific and have the bolt on axle, I'm currently not running a chain tug, but it didn't seem to move around on me for tonight's test run (my first single speed set up).

As for the hydraulic lines, brakes and post, they need to be cut down. However being anxious to ride I just wanted to get it set up. The quality of the Hope brakes seems to be very high and I loved the CNC work on them, but they don't have as much power as expected. Hopefully the brake pads just need some break in time? The reverb post feels great coming off an old AMP, I know it(reverb) has gotten mixed reviews-- so I guess time will tell.

My handlebars are way to wide for me (30"). They will also be trimmed down. I live in a high desert climate and still would catch them on sage brush (no trees in the lower elevation)-- I might give them a few more rides first, but I think 28ish might fit me better.

Ride: I was getting some rattling from the cables, the length might of added to it, but I think I will go to zip ties over the little plastic clamps that come with the frame. It rips on the smooth single track, I have not yet exposed it to the rocks the the roots, the drops or the jumps. A run at the bike park I think will help us become acquainted. This coming from a guy who has only ever ridden 5" of squish on his trail bikes.

Climbing I felt comfortable, when it got steep I had to stand up, this can be attributed to my lack of gears. So I can't really speak to the fork length and handling on the steep climbs, but it did not wonder on a normal grade where I remained seated.

The frame is light, but the rest of my parts are not. I don't have an accurate bike scale or even a bathroom scale in my house, but if feels 26ish to me?! Definately front end heavy, but have not jumped it yet so I can't speak to how that might play a role. I've always had fairly balanced bikes.

I'm definitely not used to the time pedals, I miss my CB mallets!

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So a few months down the road and loving the bike more and more!!! Finally got a weight 25lbs 10oz... could easily drop some lbs with a 32mm fork, standard seat post and some carbon bars, lighter chain (BMX), but then I don't think I would enjoy riding it as much:)

A Heads up, make sure and loctite the bolts that attach your dropouts to the frame. I had an issue with them coming loose. It wasn't noticeable while riding, but my chain was developing some slack in it. Luckily I removed the wheel and noticed before causing damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just ordered my build... will update as parts arrive. Bit of a frankenbike! All Mtn. ss hardtail?! It will be replacing my full '07 squish (which I sold to fund build). See how I like the switch... pretty committed:D Anyway here is what was ordered...
Bars: Chromag
Stem: Thomson
Head Set: Crane Creek
Brakes: Hope x2
Seat Post: Reverb
Saddle: WTB
Cranks: e*13 ss xc
pedals: Time
Wheels: Hope ss laced to Stan's Flows
Tires: WeirWolf
Cogs: Surly
Can't believe how quick stuff adds up... It's my first hardtail, and my first single speed, hopefully everything is compatible! Mostly black parts except for the fork and bars... pics to come!
Mind if ask the end price? Thinking of nabbing one of these as a new ride...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mind if ask the end price? Thinking of nabbing one of these as a new ride...
Umm... It's a bit fuzzy now... I bought the frame for $600ish (before the $400 sale), I found the '11 float 36 for $600 and another six bills for the flow's laced up to the hope hubs. So right there I was out a little over $1800 ---
I think once I got tires, grips, seatpost, headset, chain, pedals, cranks, bars, brakes, valve stem, bottle of stans, saddle, cogs, stem, seatpost clamp and spacers I was around $2800 into the build. A fun build could be done for less, but I'm a sucker for marketing and parts with a brand name on them....

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
A Heads up, make sure and loctite the bolts that attach your dropouts to the frame. I had an issue with them coming loose. It wasn't noticeable while riding, but my chain was developing some slack in it. Luckily I removed the wheel and noticed before causing damage.
That's a sweet ride, I am building mine in red. How much torque did you apply when tightening those dropout bolts?

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Went by feel, but I was pretty firm with them after they backed out-
I hate those suckers, two of them were slightly bent (I guess) - they would spin freely in the frame yet they were seized and would not tighten/loosen with moderate effort. I had to use brute force to unscrew them as they would seize during every revolution, then I had to force them to behave before I could install them on the frame. Not fun with those shallow slotted nuts.

·
FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
151 Posts
The Boise 456 take over!!!

Here are a couple of pics of my newly build up 456. Set up as a single speed. Here is the parts spec:

Fox 36 RC2 (Pushed)
Crankbrothers Iodine
Kenda Nevegals 2.35 (set up as tubless)
Raceface Evolve XC
Avid Exlix R (185mm on the Front, 160mm on the rear)
Various cockpit stuff I had laying around

Unofficial weight comes in at 24.1lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm doing the exact same move from a Turner 5spot to 456c, how are you finding the move, do you miss the Turner much?
I'm swapping all my bits over so going 2x9 with float 32's, it'll be a couple of weeks but I'll post pics when done, I went with the same matt black too

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm doing the exact same move from a Turner 5spot to 456c, how are you finding the move, do you miss the Turner much?
I'm swapping all my bits over so going 2x9 with float 32's, it'll be a couple of weeks but I'll post pics when done, I went with the same matt black too
Lee P, I haven't looked back at all; I wouldn't call it missing the Turner, but you do notice the differences of going from 5.5" of squish to a hardtail. Naturally they are going to have different riding characteristics and I can appreciate both sides of the coin. I've been having a ton of fun on this bike, I do believe it corners and handles tight twisty stuff better. It also feels more stable to jump, whether it's off a water bar or over a table top.

Enjoy the new build and definitely post pics!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still rockin'

The 456c was raced last weekend in the first race of the Oregon Enduro series. Can't say I ran a very good race, but it was definitely my endurance and skill set that was the limiting factor. Still had a fun weekend, what an event! *Action shots were courtesy of EeZe's bride.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I forgot to update, I find mine to be a great ride and definately don't miss my 5spot, front end wanders a bit with floats at 150 so I'm probably going to drop to 130 but other than that I love it, can't believe how smooth it is especially when landing drops etc, totally different animal from my inbred......suppose I should take some pics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.