Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I know its been covered ad naseum.....but just need a few more opinions before I pull the trigger. (background my previous bike was a 5 in. full suspension Faux Bar setup as a 1 X 9 with a 140 mm Fox Float 32.)

I'm gonna setup my new frame with the same 140 mm Fox fork and also as a 1X9. My local trails are buffed single-track for the most part with lots of undulating terrain (some of the hills are steep) and no loose rocks or long rock gardens. I also like to catch air on natural and artificial features that are along the trails. Most of my rides are between 10-14 miles but occasionally (3 or 4 times per year) I ride longer "epic" type rides that are around 30 miles long.

Since I don't run a granny, I tend to stand up and mash on the really steep hills.

From the specs on the On One website the Summer Season is almost 2 degrees more slack than the 456 using the same fork. So I'm thinking the 456 would be more appropriate for my riding style/terrain ????

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I know its been covered ad naseum.....but just need a few more opinions before I pull the trigger. (background my previous bike was a 5 in. full suspension Faux Bar setup as a 1 X 9 with a 140 mm Fox Float 32.)

I'm gonna setup my new frame with the same 140 mm Fox fork and also as a 1X9. My local trails are buffed single-track for the most part with lots of undulating terrain (some of the hills are steep) and no loose rocks or long rock gardens. I also like to catch air on natural and artificial features that are along the trails. Most of my rides are between 10-14 miles but occasionally (3 or 4 times per year) I ride longer "epic" type rides that are around 30 miles long.

Since I don't run a granny, I tend to stand up and mash on the really steep hills.

From the specs on the On One website the Summer Season is almost 2 degrees more slack than the 456 using the same fork. So I'm thinking the 456 would be more appropriate for my riding style/terrain ????
In addition to the slacker HTA, the SS has a heavier/stronger top tube.

I would go with the regular 456...
...or the Carbon 456.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a 20" Summer Season, liked it, but not perfect.

I sold that frame to my brother and replaced it with a 18" 456.

What a difference! Much better fit and ride. I have a 130mm Revelation on it now, hopefully I'll upgrade to a Sektor soon.

The 456 is better for the terrain I ride now. (I used to live in Southern California and I now live in Charlotte, North Carolina). The riding here is more like what you ride; "buffed single-track for the most part with lots of undulating terrain (some of the hills are steep) and no loose rocks or long rock gardens".

The 456 is perfect. I feel I could ride it on a long epics and feel fine.

I'd recommend the 456 over the Summer Season. The 140 fork would be perfect!

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
In addition to the slacker HTA, the SS has a heavier/stronger top tube.

I would go with the regular 456...
...or the Carbon 456.
I was looking at the 456 SS and comparing it to the regular 456. Now, on on-one website it list the SS as a DH rig and the reg. 456 as a FR rig. With that said... Why is the 456 double butted and the SS is not and yet you say the SS has a heavier/stronger top tube, Shiggy. I am confused by this. Just curious seeing as I am going to be ordering one of the frames within this month, hopefully. (Is there going to be a Christmas sale??? :D:D:D:D )

Now, sorry to hijack the thread from the OP, but, can either of these frames handle drops? Like 4 or 5 foot drops? No flats. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts