Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that what I thought

I wasn't sure about buying a bike sight unseen, but then I got gas and one tank was $38 and I said, man I could have got a bike! there is a 10% off code on the home page you just type in at the check out, makes it like $40. I order a seatclap bolt as well $2.99 (they say the one it has is just for shipping??) All totoal it was like $60. The size is funky I got the 23", Im 6'2" but it look the same geometry as my other XL hard tail.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
You should weigh it and post to the Save Some Weight forum just to stir up some commotion! That would be great if it weighed less than some $1800 frame, but I'd bet it weighs 2x as much. But like you said, that's awesome for a beater bike or something just for cruising around on.

·
Wheel building addict.
42 Posts
You gonna go with a chain tensioner or an eno hub? Depends on what your pricepoint is. It'll work. How much are you willing to spend? If you've got enough spare parts lying around then you probably won't be out too much. Tensioner may be the better way if you decide to build up another bike or upgrade, because you can move your rear wheel over. You know what they say, after the frame (and possibly some forks) the rear wheel is the most expensive part of a bike. I'd build up an ENO rear wheel if I were going to stay with vert drops, but if I knew I'd be getting a horizontal/track drop frame, then I'd deal with the tensioner. Nashbar's got their SS/disc hub on sale, too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was thinking tensioner instead of eccentric hub. I know its not true single speed fashion, but I figure it'll work just as well. I was planning on using all used/hand me down parts to do it if I decide to go through with it. I figured it'd be a fun bike to cruise around town with and not worry too much about. Just ride it hard and put it away wet.

Kris

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my plan so far is 9 spd commuter

I've got a K2 zed with like 6-7000 miles on it, replace or up graded most of the bike, I'm going to move most of that to the Nash (after I try a good rattle can custom paint job). Then build the old zed frame up as a bargain basement SS. complete with PVC spacers and an old derailer as a tensioner. soo ghetto:D

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
I've got one made into a single speed

I found that with a 32 tooth chainring and a 17 tooth cog, it's the magic ratio that allows me to run without any chain tensioner. I love this bike! The top tube is kinda short but I installed a 130mm Thomson stem and life is good. Mine's a older version without the rear disc brake adapter but no worries, it's a single speed! PLUS, the ride of the steel is sooo sweet compared to aluminum frames. Sure, its heavy but durable. I can also fit 2.5" tires on the back and currently running a Marzocchi marathon XC fork. I'd say GO FOR it:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Wheel building addict.
42 Posts
Just watch those magic ratios. make sure it's not too tight, or you can wreck your hub bearings. just watch the slack as the chain gets older. I find when running the magic gear/ratios that I have to change out my chain a whole lot sooner so I don't wear away the rings and cogs so fast. I usually run a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 train so that the extra width can take care of some small chainline issues.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
EverydayCommutr said:
Just watch those magic ratios. make sure it's not too tight, or you can wreck your hub bearings. just watch the slack as the chain gets older. I find when running the magic gear/ratios that I have to change out my chain a whole lot sooner so I don't wear away the rings and cogs so fast. I usually run a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 train so that the extra width can take care of some small chainline issues.
Haven't had any issues at all with my set-up. Unramped Single Speed chainring and Surly steel cog keeps the chain on and once the chain stretch goes to where I hear the chain slapping the chainstays, I replace it. Oh... I use only 8 speed chains so the extra width helps out. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.