Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for my new fork to arrive, having 44 offset while my current one has 51! Is a Scott spark rc 2020 model. Question is, what should I wait in terms of handling with the smaller offset?
Better handling In corners but worse straight line descents etc step descents?

· Registered
3,509 Posts
Waiting for my new fork to arrive, having 44 offset while my current one has 51! Is a Scott spark rc 2020 model. Question is, what should I wait in terms of handling with the smaller offset?
What stem lenth will you be riding? Shorter offset feels more stable and less thrown off by bumps. Especially the backside of larger rock when you're going over them.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Shorter offsets increase the "trail" measurement of the bike, while longer offsets increase it.

Basically, a shorter offset lets you get marginally more weight on the front wheel (small difference, like a small stem length change). It also increases the tendency of the wheel to "self center" after an impact. Basically think of how a shopping carts front wheels always return to tracking the path of the cart when they get bumped. A shorter offset does that a bit more than a longer offset.

Which in my limited experience, means that the bike "settles" into a line/corner a bit easier than it does with a longer offset. But again, the differences aren't earth shattering. But I'd call it an incremental improvement, and one thats definitely worth having (for my riding style at least). I won't buy a fork with a 51mm offset anytime soon, to put it another way.

· Registered
3,509 Posts
I noticed quite a difference on my Levo. It came with a 51mm offset. I bought a fork with a 44 offset witch resulted in a twichy bike that continued to turn in corners. Bought another 51mm offset fork that handles noticeably better. .
Strange, I noticed the complete opposite. 51mm feels twitchy and wonders.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Im on a xxl bike thats still to small for me. So i want a 51mm for the longer wheelbase.

44 would give a more stable feel but dont need that as im on a 70mm stem to make up for too short of a reach.

geo numbers have created low seat tube bikes w medium height stacks so that just about anyone can ride three sizes of bike. They run super slack these days w super short stems. So having that extra trail calms the bike and shortens the front a bit helping w weight balance and adding weight to the front tire. They painted themselves into a corner so to speak

imo the solution is less reach longer chain stays and a bit longer stem. They then have a better balanced bike. But reach is the fad now i guess.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Im on a xxl bike thats still to small for me. So i want a 51mm for the longer wheelbase.

44 would give a more stable feel but dont need that as im on a 70mm stem to make up for too short of a reach.

geo numbers have created low seat tube bikes w medium height stacks so that just about anyone can ride three sizes of bike. They run super slack these days w super short stems. So having that extra trail calms the bike and shortens the front a bit helping w weight balance and adding weight to the front tire. They painted themselves into a corner so to speak

imo the solution is less reach longer chain stays and a bit longer stem. They then have a better balanced bike. But reach is the fad now i guess.
Totally agree on why short offset is common, and what it's for.

Also, You're describing the recent Banshee bikes there at the end.

A Banshee Titan in Size L is 470mm of reach, with either a 452, or 462mm chainstay. Doesn't help you as they don't offer an XXL, but it is interesting to see at least.

Really wish I could demo one, and figure out my opinion on reach/chainstay length, etc myself.

· Registered
461 Posts
This is simmilar question to audiophiles "hearing" sound quality difference on their 10x price golden cables :)
With offset there is probably a slight difference but average Joe will not notice anything. Or maybe it will if you tell him "it should feel different". You will find tons of contradicting experiences regarding offset but in the end i think for average Joe it has aprox. the same effect as red colored fork. We all know that red will make you faster, don't we? :D

P.S.: there are many things that effect handling way way more than offset - stem length, handlebar width, rise etc...worry about them first.

· Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is simmilar question to audiophiles "hearing" sound quality difference on their 10x price golden cables :)
With offset there is probably a slight difference but average Joe will not notice anything. Or maybe it will if you tell him "it should feel different". You will find tons of contradicting experiences regarding offset but in the end i think for average Joe it has aprox. the same effect as red colored fork. We all know that red will make you faster, don't we? :D

P.S.: there are many things that effect handling way way more than offset - stem length, handlebar width, rise etc...worry about them first.
I'm not worrying nor I'm changing fork for offset reasons. Just asking what i should wait.

· Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are worrying otherwise you wouldn't ask. Not sure what you mean by "wait" :)
You said that i need to worry more for other things like stem. No im not worrying for my stem or other things cause im already fine on my bike. This is a reclamation fork that is coming and i just ASK what the difference could have with the 44 offset, not WORRYING, it is just curiosity. Can you deal with it or you ll keep insist?

ps: here is your stupid smile: :)

· Registered
6,126 Posts
120mm travel fork w/ 67.2 HTA.

With a 44mm offset fork you'll tuck under more easily than w/ a 51mm offset fork.

Some say, the 44mm offset was created for long travel, Uber slack steeds.

To lesson the front wheel being too far out in front.

YMMV

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Depends on the bike. Have a buddy who's bike tucks under big time with the short offset. My bike, same offset, doesn't have any weirdness. Have another bike with the 51 offset and it can tuck under. I do like how I'm more over the front wheel with smaller offset. Properly engineered bike will ride great with the offset they chose.

Unfortunately you will not know until you take the plunge and swap the fork. I'd recommend getting a buddies fork to try it before you commit. Factor in personal preference and riding style too. Some of us love to ride the bars, others more over the back.

Since you already ordered it, let us know how it feels on your bike with your style of riding.

· Registered
87 Posts
In my experience and a <65 degree head angle a 44 is better in slow speed, in high speed I haven't noticed a difference. The 51mm had more of a tendency to fold sideways, like it needed less force to get to a 90 degree angle compared to the bike and make me OTB.
I don't care about trail, just how it feels but trail increases with shorter offset. See the link below.
It seems like a lot of people mix trail and mechanical trail though.

· Banned
496 Posts
You said that i need to worry more for other things like stem. No im not worrying for my stem or other things cause im already fine on my bike. This is a reclamation fork that is coming and i just ASK what the difference could have with the 44 offset, not WORRYING, it is just curiosity. Can you deal with it or you ll keep insist?

ps: here is your stupid smile: :)
I don't think you need to worry about it, it is a subtle difference. I prefer 51mm for fast descents.

· Registered
Fully & eMTB fully & XC HT
77 Posts
It all depends on your type of bike and length of chock and your own preference etc....

On my Scott Scale I switched from 100mm 51mm offset to 44mm Rockshox SID SL Ultimate and I did not feel difference. On the Canyon I switched from 51mm to 44mm FOX 34 130mm Factory and I was pleased by the handeling. Beter steering on steep decent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.